March 2016 Moms
Options

Spots/floaters in vision during pregnancy?

Hi - I'm 16w0d and noticed over the last few weeks an increased amount of bright white spots/floaters in my left eye (particularly the peripheral). I got it checked out by my eye dr and it wasn't a detached retina or anything, but it seems to be increasing and now is happening in both eyes! Anyone else ever experience this? I'm wondering if it could just be pregnancy related. Thanks!!

Re: Spots/floaters in vision during pregnancy?

• Options
    ceds07ceds07 member
    edited October 2015
    I'm not positive and really don't want to scare you but I am pretty sure this could be an early sign of pre-eclampsia. Have you checked with your OB too? You should give them a call just to be safe!
  • Options
    I'd call doctor to be safe. It is a sign a preclamsia and that your blood pressure may be high.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've experienced this on and off for a few years. Had an eye checkup just before I got pregnant and my optometrist said it's normal here and there but if it increases to get checked.

I would definitely mention it to your doctor!
  • Options
    Increased blood pressure for sure. Did your doctor check the pressure in your eyes?
  • Options
    I have floaters too. My blood pressure is fine so OB sent me to an ophthalmologist. He checked for a detached retina as well and told me it was likely hormone related. Hopefully it'll get better after pregnancy
  • Options
    I had floaters the other day but attributed them to standing too fast. Never thought about my blood pressure. Maybe I'll have dh take it when he gets home. I do get them sometimes when I get a head rush.
  • Options
    I had expierenced some floaters and then some numbness in my hand. I was also afraid it was my BP, but when I got checked out it turned out it was an ocular migraine.
    Pregnancy%20ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I always have had a small grey floater since childhood, so nothing out of the norm for me. I've talked to my eye doctor about it in the past and have been told it's nothing in my case. My blood pressure is also great.

If this is new for you, though, you definitely need to discuss it with your doctor. It could be nothing, but I wouldn't ignore it just in case.
  • Options
    It could be BP, but if your blood pressure if fine, it could be an ocular migraine.I had 2 or 3 ocular migraines during my first trimester and was really freaked out by them. My vision would go really blurry in one eye (particularly around the periphery, like you're saying) for 10-15 minutes, and then I'd be left with a mild headache. I found out ocular migraines can be triggered by pregnancy...probably hormone related.

But def get it checked out by your doctor first!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I had it checked out by my eye doctor. They mentioned it may have been triggered by the higher blood pressure but it looks like I have a pull in my eye jelly. No other concerns for now!! Phew.
  • Options
    I had these with my second pregnancy and it really was annoying. I went to an ophthalmologist about six months after I delivered because they were still bothering me and he said they were not caused by bp because there was no evidence of burst blood vessels and that they would get less noticeable or settle over time. Now 2 and a half years later they are barely noticeable. He did say if you ever have like thousands suddenly in your vision to come in right away because that is a sign of retinal detachment. 
  • Options
    I had this at one point, and immediately thought BP since I have a history of preeclampsia. But mine ended up being MSG induced from eating at a certain restaurant. My DH had a similar reaction. Def watch BP though!

3 miscarriages - 1 DS (6) - 1 DD (3)  - #3 due March 30!