Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Clomid- RE

I had a follow up appoinent and ultrasound today to determine if the metaformin I've been taking is maturing my eggs. IT ISN't. I've been seeing my regular OB so far. I know it is highly frowned upon here to take clomid unless it's from an RE but my OB's next move is to start a cycle of clomid. He reassured me I would have several ultrasounds during the cycle. Knowing I will be monitored closely, is it still not okay to do this?

Re: Clomid- RE

• Options
    mkcin2014 said:

I had a follow up appoinent and ultrasound today to determine if the metaformin I've been taking is maturing my eggs. IT ISN't. I've been seeing my regular OB so far. I know it is highly frowned upon here to take clomid unless it's from an RE but my OB's next move is to start a cycle of clomid. He reassured me I would have several ultrasounds during the cycle. Knowing I will be monitored closely, is it still not okay to do this?

I wouldn't do it. And would strongly recommend you don't either.

• Options
    bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    edited October 2015
    Have you had an HSG to make sure your tubes are clear?  All the ovulation inducing drugs won't help if your tubes are blocked.  Has your husband had an SA?  All the clomid in the world won't help if his swimmers are jacked up.  

How long have you been trying?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He has had a SA and we are all good there. My tubes are also free and clear.
    I know it can take a healthy couple a year to get pregnant and we are on cycle 11 so close but not quite a year.
  • Options
    Why not go ahead and skip the OB and go see an RE?  It may take a while for an appointment.
  • Options
    I would highly recommend seeing an RE.  Especially since you seem to indicate you have PCOS.  REs are reproductive endocrinologists -- therefore, they are experts on your endocrine system and your hormones.  That is what you need help with.  Although the RE might end up just giving you clomid also, you really want to see an expert on YOUR condition and not just an OB because OBs are not experts on infertility or hormonal imbalances.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I will have to do some research on what exactly my insurance will cover. I don't want to do anything that will potentially harm me.