Toddlers: 24 Months+

Separation anxiety

I need some ideas to calm my daughter down about going to school and being away from mom. Books are not working. I need some tips too I am nervous when I drop her off too

Re: Separation anxiety

• What do the teachers do to help? When my son is having a tough morning at drop off, one of the teachers usually comes over and tries to hug him or coax him over to an activity. Can you ask them for help at drop off?

I'm sure it's hard on you too but most of the time the kids calm down right when mom leaves and I bet your daughter does too.

• ^^^This!
    I had a hard time with this and the teacher always got them distracted with coloring or reading etc. on hard days, I called the school and asked how they were doing and they said he forgot all about me 2 minutes later. They also email pictures sometimes so I can see he's having lots of fun without me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My daughter is going through the same thing. I try and start talking to her about going to "school" about an hour before we get in the car. I'll also talk about how when I'm done with work I'll come get her and she can tell me about her day. Keep in mind my DD is only just now 2 and in day care. When we get there I try to stick to a routine and get her engaged in an activity or eating a snack. It's hit and miss but I think talking about it before we get going helps.
  • My 2 year old is in preschool. When the kids get there, they have an activity ready to go. Our school urges parents to not linger, but to give your child a quick kiss and/or hug and then go. Lingering, or showing nervousness, can make the child nervous, too.

My child is all too ready to say "Bye Mom!" when we get there. She loves her teacher and asks to go to school every day, although she only goes two days a week right now.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers