June 2016 Moms
Options

Glucose levels?

Anyone have issues with glucose level or does anyone track it? I'm thinking of getting a meter. I never had issues before or with my last pregnancy. However, toward the end of my last pregnancy my Dr did mention high blood sugar one time. She didn't make a big deal about it, just said watch my sugar intake.

Yesterday and today I feel like crap about 30 minutes after I eat. I feel weak, shaky, sort of achy. Does anyone know if these are symptoms of a glucose issue?

Re: Glucose levels?

• Options
    I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and it never went away. Totally sucks!! I have to check my sugar 6 times a day and I am on a crap load of insulin. I don't think it's a bad idea to get a meter just to see where you are at. I would check 1st thing in the morning and before meals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You need a Rx to get glucose monitor strips. Personally I had GD with my first & it gave me severe anxiety attacks with my second even though I didn't have GD. Insulin resistance due to the placenta tends to peak at 36 weeks & declines from there. Either you had GD or you didn't & I'm not sure why you had a glucose check late in pregnancy without having GD.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia, which means my sugar drops about 1 1/2-2 hours after I eat, especially if I eat too many carbs and not enough fiber/protein/fat. I'm not sure what high glucose feels like, but low glucose causes me shakiness, weakness, and confusion and difficulty speaking if it gets severe enough.

I don't test my sugar often, only if I'm feeling low and I want to see if I'm correct. I bought a meter at the pharmacy and the corresponding test strips on Amazon. I could've gotten them at the pharmacy, but they were way too expensive without a script, as this was before my diagnosis. Luckily, my glucose issues are solved with diet changes.

Did your doc catch your high glucose in your regular urine test? Maybe it was something you ate or drank before your appointment.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the input!

@FutureMrsCAF Yes it was from the urine test. It could have been something I ate. They didn't do an actual glucose test. I didn't have GD with my first.

I'm clueless to this stuff but I'm just not sure why I'm feeling sick after eating. Thought maybe it could be glucose. The first time it happened I had drank a glass of OJ with my breakfast so I thought it might have been a spike in sugar from that. It happened again yesterday after lunch and all I had was some whole grain crackers (Triskets), cheese, yogurt, and carrots. Just water to drink. I started feeling so weak that I had to go sit down.
  • Options
    GD doesn't present this early. If it does then it's not GD but most likely undiagnosed type 2 or super rarely type 1. 
    And yes something you ate may very well have caused you to spill some glucose in your urine. That is not diagnostic of GD at all. I would call your OB/MW and let them know what you're experiencing if it continues.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @MillerMama13 I had GD with my last pregnancy, so I've already started monitoring my blood sugar and my carb intake just to be on the safe side.  It wouldn't hurt to buy a meter if you feel like you might be having issues.  I don't know what country you're in, but I'm in the US and you can get everything you need at Walmart for about $30-40 dollars, and no prescription necessary. 
    Me 41  DH 33  Married 09/03/2011
    DD1  EDD 08/18/01, born 08/03/2001 ~ 9lbs 10oz, 21.5 in
    DS1  EDD 4/30/2004, born 05/04/2004 ~ 10lbs, 22 in
    mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    DD2  EDD 12/25/12, born 12/30/12 ~ 10lbs 11oz, 21.25 in
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks
    Cautiously expecting 12/02/16

• Options
    I don't think you need to monitor right now, just focus on what you eat, and if you like, look into a GD diet. If you have MS, that's obviously easier said than done, but if you end up with GD, you're going to have to make those steps anyway.

With that said, I feel all sorts of weird before, during, and after I eat. It can be a normal part of pregnancy.

• Options
    Yes I do. I had gestational diabetes last pregnancy so I've been tracking since I got he line. So far I've been ok but I read it doesn't really start until 20 weeks.