August 2015 Moms
Options

Moving baby to the crib...tips?

Hey mama's, I am going to transition my 8 week old to his crib starting tonight and I'm terrified. Any tips? I'm worried about him staying warm enough and not being able to rock him in his bassinet to get him to zonk out after nursing.

Any tips?? Or advice? Thanks ladies

Re: Moving baby to the crib...tips?

• Options
    We transitioned our DS at 6 weeks and he did great! I just nursed him to sleep and laid him down in his crib. Leading up to it I would try to put him in there a couple times a day so he wouldn't be upset with the new smells and sights. It's led to both of us sleeping MUCH better! He's 8 weeks now and FINALLY sleeping 6 straight hours!!!
  • Options
    ljd2010ljd2010 member
    edited October 2015
    We transitioned DS from his rock and play to crib at 8 weeks. We just fed him until he fell asleep and placed him in the crib. He did great! Leading up, I had him nap in the crib at least once a day.

ETA Depending on the weather, I put him in either a onesie or a footed pajama and a cotton or heavier weight swaddle.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We recently transitioned LO into his crib a week ago, we started out doing naps during the day in his room then last week started nights and he has been doing great.
  • Options
    I nurse him, rock him in the rocking chair, and then carefully lower him into the crib Mission Impossible style... Seems to be working well so far. Sometimes he will fuss for a few minutes after the transition if he's not asleep-asleep, but I let him kind of work it out on his own.
    He actually sleeps in his crib better than his bassinet...
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    eebabyeebaby member
    edited October 2015
    @ljd2010
    Im looking to do this exact thing in the next week. What I liked about the rock n play was that if LO spit it she wasn't choking but at an angle. Have you had any problems with your LO being flat on his/her back and spitting up during the night?
  • Options
    My baby girl is conflicted with the bassinet and crib. She wants to sleep on mommy chest all the time. I like but need some sleep, so I'm in the transition phase. About the spitting up, what we did was rolling up a thick towel or swaddle and put under crib and bassinet. I get nervous everytime she breathes loudly or stop breathing for a second. Babies are still learning to breath in their own. Hope all goes well.
  • Options
    We just transitioned our son to his room/crib last week and I moved in there with. We have a small fold up bed thing from ikea and I've been sleeping in there for about a week and this is how I learned his room is the coldest in the house.

He sleeps great in his crib, so well that I'm thinking of moving back to my room.
  • Options
    We've been doing the crib transition thing for about a week now. It's going pretty well. DS goes in when he's absolutely positively asleep or else it doesn't work. I've resigned myself to the fact that it might take several tries to get him to sleep and it's just part of the process. I've found I'm sleeping a lot better now that he isn't in our room, too, so that's a plus! He isn't a fan of napping in his crib yet, but we'll tackle one thing at a time.
  • Options
    eebaby said:

@ljd2010
    Im looking to do this exact thing in the next week. What I liked about the rock n play was that if LO spit it she wasn't choking but at an angle. Have you had any problems with your LO being flat on his/her back and spitting up during the night?

My daughter does. Well did. We started Zantac for reflux Saturday. But prior, she would spit up in her bassinet. Never choked though.. I don't see how.
    But she sleeps so well in her own space. I learned that early with dd1 tho
  • Options
    eebaby said:

@ljd2010

Knock on wood, not so far! Sometimes he coughs when too much drool accumulates, but there haven't been any big issues. I weirdly miss having him near me, but we all sleep much better - and longer!