April 2016 Moms
Options

Forced into FLU Shot?

Answers

• Options
    Maganda92 said:

mangyaring, tumanggap ng bukana...

Is that English?
    Haha no, it is not. Her screen name "maganda" is in tagalog, meaning beautiful. Assuming the OP also understands Tagalog, I simply gave her advice in Tagalog as well: please, get the vaccine.
    Lol I'm half Filipino half African American. I understand most Tagalog though. Salamat

:)

Walang anuman ! No one can force you into doing something you don't want to do. Mag ingat ka
  • Options
    Just want to mention that when my OB was discussing the flu shot with me last week, he suggested getting the preservative free version. He said he prefers this for pregnancy, but it's not imperative. I didn't know it existed. 

I always disliked getting the flu shot, because some years I would get a very strong reaction of joint pain and fever. I know this was not the flu, but was still uncomfortable. You have to weigh the pros vs. cons, and as I was working as a nurse, I felt for sure it was necessary not only for me but for the safety of my immunocompromised patients. It's the same now, although I work from home….I am thinking of myself and my unborn baby. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you are worried about non natural ingredients do you still use hand sanitizer? Think of the flu shot as hand sanitizer for tie body. I want to piggy back on what mrstrax said. Peppermint is great for tummy aches. But sometimes someone is so sick they have major diarrhea and vomiting and severe dehydration is at risk, you want to take zofran at that point. Everything has its place and while its great you don't take meds for headaches etc, vaccines aren't for headaches. They're for serious illnesses. I'm glad you're open minded! Just think of the vaccine as being something that's allowing you to stay healthier and thus prevent non natural interventions.
    First BFP 12/2012, MMC at 9 weeks
    Second BFP 6/2013, resulted in DS, born 2/23/14 :-)
    Third BFP 5/2015, natural MC at 6 weeks
    Fourth BFP 8/2015, hoping for sticky little brother or sister to H!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Proud SAHM to our little monkey H. 
    Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options
    My comment will probably be lost in all this, but I have to say, just get the dang vaccine, have your husband/boyfriend, whoever get it as well. Babies can't get the vaccine until 6mos and my youngest got it at 4 mos 2 years ago. Thank God it was only influenza B, but he got it and the poor thing was miserable. No one else got sick because we all had our shots. His wasn't as bad as it could have been because I got my shot while pregnant with him. We have to do our best to protect our children, and the organic lifestyle and wishful thinking will not always protect you.
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I feel no need to be vaccinated either for influenza. Get your rest, wash up often, wash your produce, eat healthy, and stay active. Mind over matter is my mantra and you know what's best for your body and baby!
    Yes. Mind over matter. If you decide not to get sick you won't. This is totally scientifically proven.
    I've decided that, despite a strong family history, I'm not going to get cancer. My grandma probably only relapsed and died of breast cancer - the third time she was diagnosed with it - because she wasn't strong enough mentally. Good call. image
    Mind over matter!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    If you get the flu while pregnant, you do have a higher risk of miscarriage. It happened to a friend of mine who refused to get the flu shot because she was healthy and swore "it gave me the flu last time." Anyway, the uncontrollable fever the flu gave her is what they think ended up causing her miscarriage. It was awful and it took her 3 weeks to physically recover. Flu can be scary. If the vaccine is offered take it! It's just not worth it.
  • Options

i feel like the mind over matter let's page all the hyperemesis mommas and tell them mind over matter too.

OP, what exactly scares you about the flu? I would love to help you figure or why something that sounds scary is actually quite safe. Let us know and we can def help appease your fears!

HG momma here. Whoever brought up that mind over matter business and come clean the vomit off the side of my car and teach me your ways because no matter how many times I say Don't puke. Don't puke" that shit comes right out.
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited October 2015
    Maganda92 said:

Thank you for all the feed back! I'm just one of those people who use natural remedies for everything. I don't even like taking headache medicine. I've never had the flu shot or the flu. Could be luck, or maybe I'm doing something right.

Think of vaccines like a house insurance policy. You pay for it but hope you will never need it. But you have no control over fate, and if your house catches on fire, you are glad you bought the insurance.

Of course when it comes to the flu vaccine you never know whether it was helpful or not - either you didn't come in contact with the virus, or you did but didn't develop the disease. So you never know. But it is an insurance policy for you and your baby.
  • Options
    BrittnyS10BrittnyS10 member
    edited October 2015
    kyleec89 said:

HG momma here. Whoever brought up that mind over matter business and come clean the vomit off the side of my car and teach me your ways because no matter how many times I say Don't puke. Don't puke" that shit comes right out.

Well your OBVIOUSLY not trying hard enough...
    In all seriousness though, you have my sympathies, i can only try to imagine how miserable HG is. Influenza on the other hand i know first hand is miserable. And let me tell you, influenza fevers, sinus symptoms, stomach symptoms, etc. do NOT believe in mind over matter.
  • Options
    Anyone know of the preferred time frame for the flu shot during pregnancy? I remember somewhere reading to wait until the second trimester, but can't remember for sure. And while we're at it, who's getting the pertussis vaccine before baby arrives?
  • Options

Anyone know of the preferred time frame for the flu shot during pregnancy? I remember somewhere reading to wait until the second trimester, but can't remember for sure. And while we're at it, who's getting the pertussis vaccine before baby arrives?

We live in a university town that always gets hit hard by flu/strep/pertussis other serious but typical winter viruses. My OB said as soon as they were available because of how common it is, but that was right at the end of the 1st tri. I got it this last week at 15 because it wasn't available at my appt at 11 weeks. I'll be getting the TDaP booster again for the same reason.
    Anniversary 
  • Options

I got my flu vaccine as soon as it was available at my Ob's office, I was 11 weeks. I will also be getting the pertussis booster/vaccine whatever I need for this one as well. I know my office usually waits until closer to the end of pregnancy for that one though.
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

On the CDC website, it is stated that at any point in time during your pregnancy is the right time to get the flu shot.
  • Options
    Also, most of them (the brands) contain Mercury and a lot of other gross ingredients. 
  • Options

Also, most of them (the brands) contain Mercury and a lot of other gross ingredients. 

This is incorrect. Actually, only multi dose vials of the flu vaccine (and there are several manufacturers of flu vaccine all making multiple presentations of the shot) contain thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative. You are exposed to mercury in the environment and in the fish you eat all the time. This is methylmercury and can be dangerous in high amounts. Thimerosal is a type of ETHYLmercury which is cleared from the body faster than methylmercury and has not been shown to make people sick.

By the way, the amount of mercury in a flu vaccine is less than you eat it your tuna fish sandwich.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/thimerosal/

• Options
    AmadorRoseAmadorRose member
    edited October 2015
    @nhunter112
    From the CDC's website:
    Thimerosal (the ingredient in vaccines used to stop bacterial growth) contains ethylmercury.
    Mercury is a naturally occurring element found in the earth's crust, air, soil, and water. Two types of mercury to which people may be exposed -- methylmercury and ethylmercury -- are very different.

Methylmercury is the type of mercury found in certain kinds of fish. At high exposure levels methylmercury can be toxic to people. In the United States, federal guidelines keep as much methylmercury as possible out of the environment and food, but over a lifetime, everyone is exposed to some methylmercury.

Thimerosal contains ethylmercury, which is cleared from the human body more quickly than methylmercury, and is therefore less likely to cause any harm.

Thimerosal does not stay in the body a long time so it does not build up and reach harmful levels. When thimerosal enters the body, it breaks down to ethylmercury and thiosalicylate, which are readily eliminated.

Thimerosal use in medical products has a record of being very safe. Data from many studies show no evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines.

The most common side-effects are minor reactions like redness and swelling at the injection site. Although rare, some people may be allergic to thimerosal.

Research does not show any link between thimerosal in vaccines and autism, a neurodevelopmental disorder. Many well conducted studies have concluded that thimerosal in vaccines does not contribute to the development of autism. Even after thimerosal was removed from almost all childhood vaccines, autism rates continued to increase, which is the opposite of what would be expected if thimerosal caused autism.

Thimerosal was taken out of childhood vaccines in the United States in 2001.
    Measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccines do not and never did contain thimerosal. Varicella (chickenpox), inactivated polio (IPV), and pneumococcal conjugate vaccines have also never contained thimerosal.
    Influenza (flu) vaccines are currently available in both thimerosal-containing (for multi-dose vaccine vials) and thimerosal-free versions.

• Options
    NO vaccine has been proven safe for pregnant women and their unborn babies. actually, several have been linked to stillbirth. PLEASE do your research
    PLEASE cite your resources. I don't think I've seen anything anywhere proving this.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I just want to jump in and say for those who risk not getting the shot there was someone on my last BMB that "risked" it during her first pregnancy, caught the flu, suffered a miscarriage at 22 weeks and almost died in the process. Why put your baby and yourself at risk for something that is proven scientifically safe?
  • Options
    I've never received the flu shot before.. I've always been healthy and just wasn't all for it. I was really torn about it but that was the first the doctor bright up at my 12 week appointment and my husband and I just went with it. That was Friday, and I feel fine. They say pregnant people are the the highest risk.. Ahead of elders, and like someone else said, if we get it it's no good for us or the baby. Still have to do why you feel is right though.
  • Options
    I just want to jump in and say for those who risk not getting the shot there was someone on my last BMB that "risked" it during her first pregnancy, caught the flu, suffered a miscarriage at 22 weeks and almost died in the process. Why put your baby and yourself at risk for something that is proven scientifically safe?
    I'm very sorry to hear that.

• Options
    SMH that this thread is still going....
    Unless you have medical reasons you can't get it, just get the damn shot and keep you and the baby safe!
  • Options
    kimey1 said:
    SMH that this thread is still going.... Unless you have medical reasons you can't get it, just get the damn shot and keep you and the baby safe!

The next ones to come up are the Tdap posts.

• Options
    Give me all the vaccines! It's worth it for the health of my child, myself, and my community (herd immunity is needed). I haven't always gotten the flu vaccine but you best believe since I've had kids and especially if I'm pregnant, I am getting the shot. My OB prefers to wait until 2nd tri, so I will get it at my next appt (16 weeks). I will also be getting my 4th (yep, 4th) DTAP shot in only 5 years during 3rd trimester so that the baby has protection. 

My cousin delivered her daughter stillborn due to having the flu which brought with it a high fever. I will not take that chance. My youngest son caught RSV when he was little and was hospitalized. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. No way I will chance my children catching the flu virus that could cause great harm if I can help it, so we get vaccinated against anything we can.
    Me & DH - 2009
    Gone but not forgotten: Identical twin boys born at 23 weeks - 2004 
    DS1 - 2010
    DS2 - 2012
    DS3 - 2014
    Surprise # 4 due April 2016!! It's a GIRL.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

@kimey1 and @rebelone I know these posts are frustrating, but just wanted to point out that it seems like OP is actually listening to all our advice and direction to proper sources. While for me, I wouldn't bad an eye at a vaccine, I do understand that a lot of people have been fed extremely misleading information, and for those who are open minded, I welcome any and all posts questioning vaccines, as long as they are willing to read the proper research and then understand its difference from pseudoscience. If it can help one person feel confident in vaccines and start advocating for them as well, I think we should welcome these posts. As for people who claim they work in the field and then proclaim they aren't safe, let me just say, (nothing because I don't want a tou violation).
    I didn't say anything about these posts to be annoying, I know better. They will never end and it's a never ending discussion. You can choose to either participate or pass. I was just pointing out if they think they is bad just wait for the Tdap posts.

• Options
    Oh gotcha! My bad. But yes, I agree lol. Maybe we should preemptively start one now with all the reasons it's safe and necessary.

Pro Vax, extended breasftfeeder, ring sling and stroller loving mama. I don't judge you unless you don't vaccinate!
  • Options

@kimey1 and @rebelone I know these posts are frustrating, but just wanted to point out that it seems like OP is actually listening to all our advice and direction to proper sources. While for me, I wouldn't bad an eye at a vaccine, I do understand that a lot of people have been fed extremely misleading information, and for those who are open minded, I welcome any and all posts questioning vaccines, as long as they are willing to read the proper research and then understand its difference from pseudoscience. If it can help one person feel confident in vaccines and start advocating for them as well, I think we should welcome these posts.

As for people who claim they work in the field and then proclaim they aren't safe, let me just say, (nothing because I don't want a tou violation).

Agree completely. It is frustrating to see misinformation spouted off as the law but this gives us a chance to address those misconceptions! Glad to have people ask questions and hopefully these discussions help them make informed decisions based on true science. Bring on the Tdap convos! :)

Hope everyone stays healthy this flu season! I'm getting my shot at my appointment this week and am oddly excited about it. I have to fly for work in November and definitely want to be protected well before getting on a plane. Bleh!

• Options
    OK, Tdap question for you ladies--is there a way to check your immunity on that one, like they do for Rubella? Or does it just make more sense to just get the shot?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OK, Tdap question for you ladies--is there a way to check your immunity on that one, like they do for Rubella? Or does it just make more sense to just get the shot?
    You can have a titer done.

• Options
    I havent read up on tdap in a long time but if i remember correctly it is recommended for everyone, even people who arent pregnant, to get a booster every 10 years isnt it? And they recommend getting it during pregnancy so that you pass on the immunity to your baby. Gonna ask my midwife at my next appointment when she recommends i get it. You better believe i will get that vaccine as soon as she ok's it. Just in the last couple weeks there have been at least 3 new cases of pertussis in my town, no chance am i gonna risk that for my baby. I got my flu shot last week btw, as soon as it was available at my work.
  • Options

Tdap protects against tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis. Everyone should get a Td (tetanus) vaccine every 10 years. All adults should get one Tdap in their lifetime with the exception of pregnant women, who should get Tdap between 27-36 weeks of EACH pregnancy. The reason Tdap is recommended for all pregnant women, regardless of if you've had it before or when your last tetanus booster was, is to protect your baby against pertussis (whooping cough). When you get vaccinated while pregnant you transfer protection via antibodies to your unborn baby, and they are born with some good protection against pertussis. Pertussis is most dangerous and even deadly in infants 0-6 months, and babies can't get their first vaccine against the disease until they are 2 months old. It also protects you against the disease. The majority of infants with pertussis get it from their mom or other close family member so it's great for your sig other and other people who will be close to the baby early on to get vaccinated too if they never have been.

Bottom line, regardless of your immunity it's recommended that we all get the Tdap vaccine in the third tri to protect our little ones (unless you're allergic to the vaccine etc. - talk to your doc!). I hope this info is helpful! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

• Options
    DougalMcG You are correct is a very small amount. Yes, I don't eat any animal products or by products. And yes I should have added there are options without it. 
    @AmadorRose "Thimerosal contains ethylmercury, which is cleared from the human body more quickly than methylmercury, and is therefore less likely to cause any harm." I wasn't aware. That's good to know though. 
    @spatter1 I don't eat fish.
    I wonder if it'd be possible to make MORE successful vaccines with simple, pure ingredients.. as there are very few.

• Options
    @RoseGold10 you can have titers checked but it's still very important to get it during each pregnancy as it passes some immunity to the baby (they can't be vaccinated against it until 8 weeks). I would also request that your SO and anybody spending a significant amount of time with LO (grandparents) receive a booster. My parents both got it quite easily as did DH (I think my OB even gave DH his!). They won't need another booster since theirs is still effective but I will need one to pass some immunity.