Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Pumping Problem!

Since the very first time my son tried breastfeeding when he was born, he latched on right away and have had zero problems. I created a lot of colostrum and on day 3 my milk came in. I have no problem breastfeeding and providing enough milk. I produce so much in fact if I'm not covered I leak everywhere without even trying! I was able to pump once and provided 3oz. Ever since then I have tried multiple times, to pump and have had zero luck. I've tried every tip and trick out there and nothing has worked. Hot showers/compresses, massaging, different times of day, before and after feeding, staying hydrated and NOTHING. Has this happened to anyone else?? Is it possible that some women just CAN'T pump?? I'm tempted to give up trying to pump and just use formula when the time comes.

Re: Pumping Problem!

• I've never heard of women not being able to pump. Have you tried changing the speed on the machine? I wouldn't give up yet though.
  • Are you sure you have the right size shields/flanges? That can make a big difference.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like an equipment issue. I would meet with a lactation consultant and bring the pump.
  • Is there proper suction? Do you feel let down? Have you tried relaxing and thinking about your LO, etc while pumping? I also recommendseeing an LC with the pump.
  • All of the above advice is great. I was in pretty much the same situation - I felt like it was impossible to pump! When LO was about 6 weeks old I started pumping. I tried once a day and after a couple weeks I was able to start pumping something. It just took a long time for my body to respond. I managed to pump enough on maternity leave to send to daycare for the first day and create an itty bitty freezer supply - probably about 20oz. When I went back to work, I continued to pump and successfully kept LO on breastmilk for several months. I never pumped much more than he ate, but was pleased to breastfeed for as long as I did.

• Try squeezing your boobs while pumping just to help the machine jumpstart the process. Hopefully it helps u out