May 2016 Moms
Options

Traveling to Mexico

I'm traveling to Mexico (tulum) next week. I'm 8 weeks along. Any tips, or should I be concerned about anything? And would it be soo lame if I wore a mask in the airport/plane? Hah! But serious, because I'm not planning to get the flu shot.

Answers

• Options
    You mean you're not planning on getting the shot before your trip, or at all? Because you should definitely get it even if you can't do it before you go....

Otherwise, make sure you ask your OB first and get the green lightbe very careful of what you eat and drink, and drink lots on the plane. And if you're worried about getting sick you can wear a mask I guess. People will probably give you a wide berth because they might think you're the one that's sick? I saw a couple people wearing them when I traveled.
  • Options
    I got talked into the flu shot by my OB (never gotten one before). But I don't wanna risk getting a high fever because there's not much they can do if you have the flu. Basically gotta stick it out, which high fevers are fatal to fetuses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You should get a flu shot regardless. But, talk to your doctor.
  • Options
    sincerelymomsincerelymom member
    edited October 2015
    Just make sure you are drinking bottled water... Which I would tell anyone travelling to Mexico! If you go out to eat or order Agua Mineral or Limonada con Agua Mineral. And don't order fresh fruit or salads since they will have been washed in tap water... Unless you are at a resort since that's usually safe. No ice in your drinks either!
  • Options
    I'm going to Tulum on the 28th :) it will be our first time there. I'm not getting the flu shot at all. I will be drinking bottled water while there and taking a super strong probiotic leading up to the trip. Where will you be staying? DH and I are staying at Ahau!
  • Options
    I'm going to Cancun from the 21st to the 27th. :)  I talked to my dr and she said just stay well hydrated when I fly and to not drink the tap, which I don't anyway.  We're planning to be resort beachloafs and probably will only eat at the resort or at a nice restaurant on the strip so she said I have nothing to worry about.  
  • Options
    Yes, I've decided against the flu shot for my pregnancy. It's technically a class C drug and most doctors don't suggest anything other than class A, so I chose against it. Personal choice, everyone else can do as they wish.

Thanks for the tips. Definitely planning on stopping at the store for a case of water bottles and some snacks. Will make sure to stay hydrated! Thank you!
  • Options
    @hendsa01 how fun!! I will be there the week before, super excited! Hope you have a great trip!
  • Options
    @austintoastie great plan, I'm aiming for the same! I'm not ashamed to ask if the water is purified and all that too, not worth the risk!
  • Options
    @shanners721 - another thing my uncle warned me about (he lived in mexico for five years) was to be really careful of salsa in certain restaurants.  he said a lot of places just make fresh and refill their containers without washing the containers each time and they can be a little unsanitary, depending on restaurant and location of course.  :)
  • Options
    @austintoastie ooh, good point! I think the plan is to stick to really simple foods. I mean, that's basically all I can stomach right now anyhow. Haha!!