Stay at Home Moms

Temporary disability

Was anyone able to get temporary disability benefits? I am self employed and do not have the luxury of paid maternity leave. Curious how temp dis works

Re: Temporary disability

• I was employed when I had my kids and had Short Term Disability insurance through the company. I had to call a few months before my due date to notify the insurance company and then called later to tell them I had had the baby and I received 60% of my paycheck for 6 weeks. After that it was unpaid if I took more time off with FMLA. I'm not sure how it works with an individual plan.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in the same boat! Self-employed, no short term disability and TTC. I'm told short-term disability is only available through group coverage but I feel like there has to be a similar individual plan. I've done minimal research with companies like Aflac but have had no luck. Did you have any success finding a temporary disability plan?

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Loading the player...
  • Check with your state's laws. Some state's will help with expenses and some do not.
  • Yes. I left my job at 4.5 months pregnant and collected unemployment. My unemployment ran out 2 weeks before my son was born. I had a csection and received 6 weeks disability. I'm now doing my 6 week extended family bonding time and they allowed me to collect that as well