May 2016 Moms

When to announce!?

Is anyone else tired of hiding the fact that they are pregnant? I am going on 8 weeks and have known I was pregnant for almost 5 weeks now! I think I'm gonna break down and announce very very soon!

Re: When to announce!?

• There seems to be 3 camps on the subject -- those who want to wait until end of 1st trimester, those who want to wait as long as possible/until they can't deny it anymore, and those who choose to share their news early knowing that they'd want the support if something went wrong. There are a couple of existing threads with lots of insights on the topic, I think one of them is a page or 2 back about announcing on social media if you're interested in some reading ;)
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • As of right now, we are planning on announcing on the 30th, when I will be 10 weeks. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @sblanco0802... I'm in the same boat as you!  I'm 8w1d and I've known for exactly 5 weeks already.  I had to hide the fact that I wasn't drinking at my SIL's wedding, and numerous other functions.  It gets super old.  I've already told my mom and some friends, but this weekend we're going to tell my in-laws on my husbands birthday because I don't want to have to pretend or make excuses as to why I won't have a drink.  We had our first U/S last week, so I feel more comfortable to share the good news.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• Its different for everyone. We have been telling people slowly. I am @ 9 weeks. My mom knows, his parents will know tomorrow. Some people he is friends with/works with know. My team at work knows, a few friends know. We haven't made a FB announcement, and only people we are close with or that need to know are privy to the info so far. My 1st appointment is Monday. If the doctor says everything will be good, we will tell everyone else at the end of next week when I am 10 weeks. Gotta do what feels right for YOU.

cat fail animated GIF

• sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    edited October 2015

We announced to immediate family after the confirmation ultrasound and announced to the world at 8 weeks after we got the thumbs up from our Dr. We will be 11 weeks on Monday and I am so glad that we didn't wait. The support and love we have gotten has been incredible. I ditto PPs, that you have to do what you think feels right.

ETA: I already have a significant blump, so there would be no hiding it anyway!

• As my pregnancy has progressed we have slowly told people in our close circle of friends and family, we'll tell my husbands 4 siblings tomorrow when we will be together (can't wait!). I have my NT scan Tuesday and we'll 'go public' after that if all looks good.

That said, my blump has turned into a bump this week and I'm sure that I'm not really fooling anyone but luckily no one in my life would call me out before I announce it.

I agree with PPs, everyone is different and you have to listen to your gut. It has been hard not to shout it from the rooftops since we found out in August but it just felt right for us to keep it close.

• We are having one last cookout tomorrow where we plan on telling my in-laws, my parents and our siblings. I will be 10.5 weeks. This is my 3rd so I am starting to show. We won't go public till I get the results from the Matrenity21 test.
  • tgortneytgortney member
    edited October 2015
    I'll be 10 weeks tomorrow but I'm still hesitant to say anything. We've told family and family have told other family, my boss knows and some coworkers (which I'm sure everyone at work knows because news travels fast). I want to make sure the screenings and all look okay before we announce to social media, BUT I'm planning to tell people we see on a daily basis after or around Halloween time (when I'm out of the first trimester and have had my second US). Social media can wait. We plan to have a photo session for our announcement too.
  • Agree with PP's. Do what's best for you. I've started telling family and very close family friends. After my first appointment we may open it up to a few other people. We're telling everyone once we get into the second tri (basically once I tell work).
  • I'm having my first appointment on 9w2d and if all looks good then, the plan is to announce right after that. We don't have any family close, so unfortunately it'll all be on the phone. And DH is dead set on doing a cute announcement video for social media after all the close friends/family have been called, so we're going to work on that this weekend. Hopefully all turns out well!

• Still haven't said anything. Our u/s yesterday went great, and even though baby is measuring ahead, I still don't feel like I should say anything yet. I'm just lucky that I don't usually show until after 25 weeks. Just means I can stretch the secret longer.
  • I feel like we do things backwards, but I've been telling my close friends and random people but plan to announce to the family on the 24th when we have my DD birthday party. My 3 best friends, some coworkers, and my neighbor all knew that we were ready for #2, so the question would come up and I couldn't deny it. Though I'm close with my family, we don't talk about things like this, so it's actually more awkward to tell them. We're planning on having my daughter open up a "Big Sister" shirt at the end of the party.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Everyone has a preference. This pregnancy, I decided I wanted to wait till 12 weeks. We told a few close friends so far. I am HOPING we will be able to tell our immediate family this week or next week. I would want them to know before they find out through Facebook/Instagram. I will announce on social media right around the 12th week.
    (Me) 30 & (DH) 32 {Together 11 years - Married 04.17.15}

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    TTC Baby #2 since 06/15 | BFP 9/4/15 | EDD 5/07/16

BabyGaga
  • We've told a few good friends and my family. H's family will find out when we see them at Thanksgiving. We won't be doing a FB announcement, but we will see a ton of our friends at a big party in November. I'll be 15 weeks by then, so if word gets out I'm okay with it.
  • I've told my parents, sisters and two best friends. I told my family because I got very sick Sunday and Monday and was desperate for help with my girls. Normally, I'd wait to tell my friends, but we were out for my birthday dinner and I didn't want to go through the whole thing of trying to make up reasons why I wasn't drinking.

Other than those people, I'm trying to hold off as long as possible.

It's all personal preference. Just do what feels right for you! :)
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We're going to see a bunch of my husband's old coworkers next week at a party and I know that's the first thing they'll ask, because they've been waiting for us to have kids since we got married a year and a half ago. I feel really hesitant because at that point I'll only be 8w 4d and I don't want to spill the beans to non-family yet, but he doesn't want to lie to them if they ask us directly.

I don't know how to keep it a secret for 4 more weeks, but I really don't want to tell anybody yet.
  • I'm planning to make a FB announcement tomorrow ( I'm just under 11weeks) I only have a few FB friends and they are mostly family. I live ridiculously far from my family so I only use it to keep in touch with them. I planned to wait till after my ultrasound on the 21st but a cousin announced her wedding day as a week from my EDD and I don't really want to wait to tell her why I am declining the invitation. Who wants to be on a 20 hour flight while 9 months pregnant?! :-q
  • hellogoodbye2hellogoodbye2 member
    edited October 2015
    We are finally announcing to our families in a week! (I'll be 10 weeks). Can't wait to finally let the cat out of the bag!

Social media will have to wait until after 13 weeks :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are announcing to our families after our scheduled u/s in two weeks. It's kind of fun for just DH and I to know.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • At 8 weeks and 5 days we announced on Facebook. I know we weren't supposed to, but it felt right and I'm sick of people asking what's the matter with me.
  • Our parents know since we had a loss and issues previously so their support is important right now. I've told a few coworkers who have been super supportive (they knew last time too) and my best friend knows. We both have several siblings but we're waiting until thanksgiving to tell everyone as far as family and friends. I'll be just past 13 weeks then and that just feels like a safer time. It will be neat since I'll be 13 weeks on my birthday- hopefully that's a good sign.
  • I'm 10 weeks today and we will be sharing with the entire family at a reunion today. So excited! Some friends and coworkers know and we will be "going public" on FB after our next doctor appt on Friday. Will be 11 weeks. Good luck mamas!
    I'm a New Year's Mama! BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • We aren't telling anyone until Christmas. Our families live far away so the secret should be easy to keep until then.
  • We'll tell people closest to us (siblings and best friends) on Halloween. That's almost 10 weeks for me. I'm wearing one of those skeleton shirts with a baby skeleton printed on. Curious to see how long until they get it.

DH's family will get the news on Thanksgiving when I'll be a little over 13w. We figured it would be cute to include it in our "This year I'm thankful for..." speech at dinner. I hope by then we'll be out of the critical period since we wouldn't want to have to tell them if there were a loss.

We'll be spending time with my folks on Christmas so we'll announce to them then at 17 odd weeks, not sure how yet. I'm really in no hurry to tell my parents and more extended family, they're going to be all over it. My family loves drama.

If other people haven't figured it out by accident or because I'll show by then yet, we'll go public with the news after the new year and the anatomy scan.
    <3 Welcome, Baby Lola!  <3
    Lorenza Justice, born 04/24/2016, 34w6d, 4lbs 8oz, 17 inches
    Home, healthy & happy :)

~ A., A. & L.J. - our family is complete ~
  • We are having our families over on the 30th and announcing then. Everyone else we will wait until sometime in November.
  • We announced at 9 wks the day we found out. We was at ER because I was so sick they did my first aultrasound and baby was doing great.. So we decided to go ahead.