July 2015 Moms

how much formula per feeding?

My son is almost 3 months and about 14.5 lbs. He is formula fed and I feed him 4 oz per bottle. Before bed and in the morning I give him a 5 oz bottle. He acts like he is hungry and cries after an hour and a half. The doctor says that he should be able to go about 3 hours between feedings. I'm lucky if I can stretch it to 2 hours between feedings. How big is your LO, how many ounces per feeding do you do and how long can your LO go between feedings?

Re: how much formula per feeding?

• beeishbeeish member
    edited October 2015
    My LO is about 12 pounds. She eats 3 to 4 ounces every 2 to 3 hours. I just go with what she wants and when she wants it.

Edited: she's 12 weeks
  • 4 months, 8 lbs 14 oz., she drinks 3 1/2 consistently but we give her 4 oz. per feeding and she eats every 3-5 hours.
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is 9 weeks and around 12 pounds. He is eating 5 oz every 2-3 hours. If your LO is still hungry try giving him more. 
  • LO is 12 weeks and 14.5 pounds. He eats about 5-6 ounces every 3-4 hours during the day, but he's starting to stretch it farther out.

He is not exclusively formula fed though, as I nurse and then supplement, but when he takes just a formula bottle at day care, it's normally 6 ounces. Bottles after nursing are 2-3 ounces. We estimate that he typically eats around 30 ounces per day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My little one is mixed fed. She's very slight for her age. At 8 weeks she weight just 4.4kgs. Every formula is different...but my little girl takes between 5 & 7 ounces when it's a pure formula feed. With a breastfeed and top up it's anywhere from 2-4oz.
    [color=purple]Married July 2014[/color]
    [color=pink]First Monkey July 2015[/color]
    [color=green]Baby No2 March 2018
    ~Team Green~[/color]

• My DD IS 13 lbs 3 oz. She takes between 5 and 6.5 oz at a feeding. She gets hungry anywhere from 3 to 5 hrs. She is 13 weeks old.
  • My LO is 12 weeks and a little over 15 lbs. He goes to daycare from 7:30am to 5:15pm and has been eating five 5 oz bottles for the last three days. I was hoping it's was a growth spurt but I'm starting to think otherwise. I am struggling to keep up and have had to take milk from my frozen stash.
  • Hmm... Looks like I'm in the minority here.

My LO will be 11 weeks tomorrow and was 12 lb 6 oz at his 2 month check up 2 weeks ago. He usually eats small amounts frequently during the day - like he's still BFing. It's like 2 oz every 2-3 hours with an occasional 3-4 oz in there. At night, he'll have 4 oz if he's been asleep more than a 4 hour stretch. His overall intake is usually right around 20 oz. This seems pretty low compared to everyone else but he's healthy, growing, and has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. We demand feed BTW.

Any thoughts?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• We feed 5oz every 3 to 3.5 hours. Usually about 6 bottles a day. Sometimes she only eats 3.5 to 4 oz however. She's 9 weeks and was 12lb 12oz at her 2 month check up a week and a half ago.
  • 13 weeks, 13 lbs, eats anywhere from 4-6 oz every 2-2.5 hours during the day...she sleeps through the night, doesn't wake up to eat but wants 6 oz when she gets up in the morning :)
  • mrsrep123 said:

Hmm... Looks like I'm in the minority here.

My LO will be 11 weeks tomorrow and was 12 lb 6 oz at his 2 month check up 2 weeks ago. He usually eats small amounts frequently during the day - like he's still BFing. It's like 2 oz every 2-3 hours with an occasional 3-4 oz in there. At night, he'll have 4 oz if he's been asleep more than a 4 hour stretch. His overall intake is usually right around 20 oz. This seems pretty low compared to everyone else but he's healthy, growing, and has plenty of wet and dirty diapers. We demand feed BTW.

Any thoughts?

If he's happy and growing, having enough diapers and the pediatrician is okay with it I wouldn't worry! Every baby is different.

LO takes 5 ounces every 3-4 hours and 6 ounces overnight. She is 10 weeks, 10 lb. 2 oz.
  • My LO is 3 months on the 17ths, and at his 2 month apt, he weighted 12 lbs 3 ozs...he takes 4 ozs of formula every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Recently, he's been eating 6 ozs before bed, sleeping a 5-6 hour stretch, and then getting 6 when he wakes up
  • My LO is 11 weeks, and weighs about 13 (maybe 14?) Lbs. She eats about 4-6 oz every 2-3 hours but she also sleeps through the night. Sometimes I can only get her to eat 2 or 3 oz then an hour later she eats 2 more oz. This is typically when she has to poop lol. She probably eats average of 30 oz a day. I do feel like we waste so much formula though because she won't drink a whole bottle at first then will want more an hour later. Any ideas on how to avoid that? I swear the formula companies tell us it's only good for an hour to make more money lol
  • For those that feed their LO 4-6 oz, is that all at one feeding session?

I know all babies are different, but I don't think my LO's tummy is that big yet. When he has 4 oz in one session and we go to burp him, he will spit up - guaranteed! Is this happening to you as well?

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• shaley29 said:

My LO is 11 weeks, and weighs about 13 (maybe 14?) Lbs. She eats about 4-6 oz every 2-3 hours but she also sleeps through the night. Sometimes I can only get her to eat 2 or 3 oz then an hour later she eats 2 more oz. This is typically when she has to poop lol. She probably eats average of 30 oz a day. I do feel like we waste so much formula though because she won't drink a whole bottle at first then will want more an hour later. Any ideas on how to avoid that? I swear the formula companies tell us it's only good for an hour to make more money lol

Ugh! We waste so much too! But I've smelled the milk after only an hour and a half and sure enough, it didn't smell right. It sucks too when LO clearly wants more after 2 oz, I make another 2 oz bottle, and he only has 0.5 oz of it!

I know we can make a pitcher and put it in the fridge, but then the whole process of warming it up... LO screams bloody murder in the 30 seconds it takes to scoop the formula into the "already-water-filled-bottle"... I can't imagine what he'd do having to wait a few minutes!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17