Breastfeeding
Options

Newborn nursing for only a few minuets each feeding

Does anyone else's newborn only nursing for a few minuets, 7-10 or 12 at most, on one side and then are done? She's even stopping at 3 minuets and I change her to get in those last few minuets. I'm just curious if this is normal for a week old baby.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Newborn nursing for only a few minuets each feeding

• Options
    I would say it is atypical for a newborn. They are not usually that efficient yet. I'd check with a lactation consultant or your pediatrician's office to see if you can do a weighted feed jist to meake sure she's getting enough. Is she eating more frequently than every 2 hours? Is she back to birth weight yet?
  • Options
    My LO was that way for about 5 days. She was super sleepy so getting her to feed longer than 3-5 mins seemed impossible. Once she 'woke up' sessions started lengthening. Even at 2 weeks she pretty much maxes out at 15 mins. I am producing a ton of milk so I think that affects it as she's getting a lot in that time. PP asked good questions to help you know if she is getting enough. Also watch her diaper. If she's peeing and pooping well, she's probably fine.
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My LO has never nursed for longer than 15 mintues since day 1 and he is now 14 weeks. Even at about a week old he would only take about 7 minutes on each side. I do have a good supply and he was at his birth weight when we left the hospital and gained another pound by his 2 week appointment. Like the pp said if she's gaining weight and has enough wet and dirty diapers I wouldn't be too concerned.
  • Options
    This happened with my baby for the first 10 days of life or so (milk came in on day 4)? After awhile, she started nursing longer. At 3 weeks old, she's just now starting to nurse on both sides during one session.
  • Options
    swelniakswelniak member
    edited October 2015
    This describes us perfectly. Feeds 8 mins on average and nurses every 2 hours on average (sometimes 1,5, sometimes 2.5). At first I was concerned because DS1 nursed 30-45 mins every feed, but at 10 days, DS2 had exceeded birth weight by 8 oz. He's just a much more efficient nurser than my first. He actually kinda chokes himself sometimes and has to take a breather because my flow is so fast. If they're gaining weight, I wouldn't worry!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker