Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Failed HSG

Hi, I'm new here. I'm 35 and I've been TTC for 13 months. I had an HSG scheduled for this morning but my doctor couldn't get the catheter through my cervix into my uterus. He tried several times and it got very painful so he gave up. Is this common? He is suggesting a procedure where he puts me under anesthesia and uses a camera to get inside the uterus and find out what's going on. I have no history of STD or PID, no miscarriages or previous pregnancy, so I have no idea what could be going on in there. Has this happened to you or do have any helpful info? Thanks.

Re: Failed HSG

• Options
    I'm sure it's happened to others, but it's by no means common. If that were me, I would look into a new doctor unless he told u a specific reason for why he couldn't get it in. I know some women shoes docs had a bit of trouble getting the catheter in, but I've never heard of a doc just "giving up". Good luck!
  • Options
    Maybe bad timing? My HSG was done a couple days before O so cervix would be high and open. I'm no doctor so other than that, I wouldn't know any other reason why it didn't work for you. 
    IUI #1 November 2015 - 0% Motility
    IVF #1 January 2016 - (FAIL/Over-suppressed)
    IVF #2 May 2016 - (FAIL/25 eggs, 1 5BB xx, PGS abnormal)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my HSG done while I was on my period and I think that is the recommended time frame.  When in your cycle was yours done?  I would avoid being put under for this, for sure.
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe try again with a different doctor?

I've only had an HSG once, and it worked (though it was painful, since I had a temporary blockage/spasm, that cleared up after extra pressure), but I have had a bunch of IUIs, so a bunch of catheters in my cervix.  Sometimes it goes right in, and sometimes they have to get creative, bending the wire and pulling on the cervix. 

I think experience counts.  Does your doctor do several HSGs a day?  Or just sometimes? 

And also, your cervix moves a lot during your cycle, so just trying again might be the trick.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    joyful38joyful38 member
    edited October 2015
    Yes!!! It happened to me ! I nearly passed out from the pain too. This was a few months ago. So much poking around my anxiety levels shot through the roof. He said the catheter was too large (although it was super tiny!) had to reschedule because i couldn't handle it & would have had to wait till the doctor went to a completely diff level of hospital to find a smaller one... Anyway he gave me a Xanax and also a pill to help open my cervix for my next HSG appt. Ugh. Hated it!