March 2015 Moms
Options

Still spitting up

My little guy is almost 7 months old and he still spits up a good few times a day. Anybody else have this problem? He's got allergies - we give him chdrens Zyrtec per our doctor - and with him eating solids it's really. Really gross. Mucus and neon colors and ugh. I know peak spitting up age is 4 months - and he's definitely gone from basically every meal - to just one or two meals a day. I just would like to maybe wear a pretty sweater one day again. Haha. Thoughts?

Re: Still spitting up

• Options
    My LO almost never spit up until she started solids, so it really does vary. My niece still spits up sometimes at a year. As long as it's not vomiting (large amounts, upsetting to baby, bile-like, or timing well out of place for spitting up), there's not need to worry too much. Another thing to consider, although not necessarily the cause, might be over feeding. I know my LO does not want to stop eating... Ever. So she will literally eat herself sick (both bottle/breast and solids) and spit up more because of it. And it's worse when she has cold symptoms or is teething. I try to "ration" her meals a little (she would eat 6 oz or more of purées if I let her, so we try to keep it 5 oz or less) and space them out to avoid it, but effectiveness varies. So while it might just be perfectly normal, there may be something contributing to it that you might be able to change.
  • Options
    Yes my baby still spits up a few times a day as well. However I don't burp her anymore at night she eats and falls right back to sleep. So sometimes when I do get her up she is releasing that I believe
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He eats 4oz of puréed food twice a day. Then formula, usually only another 4oz to balance. My doctor tried to tell me to still give him 8, which sounds nutty if you ask me. There's no way he wouldn't be spitting up all over the place.
  • Options
    My daughter still spits up daily as well. She had severe GERD and is on nexium daily. She was diagnosed with projectile vomiting and even had an upper bowel study and abdominal X-rays done to rule out a serious issue. Our doctor said that one day, it would just stop. It could be today, tomorrow or six months from now. There is really no way to tell. As long as your child is gaining weight, then it's just an inconvenience. I'm always covered in spit up, but I'm so grateful my daughter is healthy. I'll take the mess. Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I feel the same way. He's completely healthy. He eats 4oz of food twice a day followed by 4-5oz of formula. So I don't think he's being over fed. The rest of his feelings are still bottles. He's definitely slowed down. And he often saves it for other people. It's like he knows how much he's barfed on me :). Haha