May 2016 Moms
Options

Bedside Ultrasound vs. Real

wellinaustinwellinaustin member
edited October 2015 in May 2016 Moms
Hey ladies! For my first appointment I'm having a bedside ultrasound - which I think is transvaginal. What's the major differences? I'm 6w3d and I go in tomorrow. Are you less likely to hear/see heartbeat? Is its technology inferior?

UPDATE:
Just wanted to update and say that we did get a transvaginal US and saw a heartbeat, didn't hear it. But "bedside" does not mean transvaginal. The machine she had bedside had a tool for abdominal US as well, I just think the screen is smaller and quality probably lower than a non-bedside US.

BFP #1  7/19/15, CP 7/26/15
BFP #2  9/17/15, EDD 5/28/15
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Bedside Ultrasound vs. Real

• Options
    I don't think you'll be able to hear the heartbeat. It's still pretty early br you may be able to see the flicker of it. I saw it with mine and I was about the same time
  • Options
    To my understanding, they have to do a transvaginal at this point because the baby is so small and an ultrasound on your belly won't pick up as much. I haven't had my first US this time around but don't remember hearing a heartbeat with the transvaginal with DD. That usually comes with the doppler in a few more weeks!

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    All three of my ultrasounds have been transvaginal (weeks 5, 6, and 8). We were able to see and hear the heartbeat at weeks 6 and 8. The room even has surround sound, so yesterday at week 8, the heartbeat was so strong it sounded like a helicopter was landing in the room.
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy, we did an ultrasound at 9 weeks and it was done through abdomen. We saw the baby and heard the heartbeat. With this pregnancy, I was 8 weeks and they did a transvaginal ultrasound. We were also able to hear the heartbeat and see the baby. 
    (Me) 30 & (DH) 32 {Together 11 years - Married 04.17.15}

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    TTC Baby #2 since 06/15 | BFP 9/4/15 | EDD 5/07/16

BabyGaga
  • Options
    That's good to hear that there isn't a big difference in what I can expect to see/hear. I know my dating is accurate since I temp, so hopefully we'll see that heartbeat at least flicker!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I had my first u/s at 8 weeks and it was transvaginal. My next appointment I will be 12 weeks and that u/s is abdominal.
  • Options
    I had my first u/s at 6w5d and I saw/heard the heartbeat. 
  • Options
    I just had my first trans-vaginal US at 6 weeks 4 days and they were able to see the flicker of the heartbeat and, to my doctors surprise, he was able to catch it just right to hear it as well. It's still pretty early so it's possible you will only see the heartbeat.
    TTC#1 January 2013, BFP 7/4/13 MC 8/7/13 D&C 8/22/13
    BFP 5/20/14 CP 5/26/14
    BFP 12/6/14 DD Born an Angel on 7/17/15 at 35 weeks
    An Angel in The Book of Life
    Wrote Down Our Baby's Birth
    And Whispered as She Closed the Book
    Too Beautiful for Earth...
    TTC#2 August 2015 BFP 9/10/15 EDD 5/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had a transvaginal at 6w1d and saw the little peanut, heartbeat and all! Much easier to see transvaginally since baby is so little at this point! I believe they typically are able to do abdominal around the 10-12 week range! Good luck!
  • Options
    Transvaginal ultrasound is the best way to visualize the uterus this early, it's much better resolution. I honestly don't even try abdomenly that early. At 6 weeks a fetal pole should be seen. The heartbeat is generally measured using M-mode (motion) so no sound is heard but can be seen flickering. I will not use power Doppler to hear the heartbeat until the 2nd trimester and only if needed to rule out pathology.

• Options
    Just wanted to update and say that we did get a transvaginal US and saw a heartbeat, didn't hear it. But "bedside" does not mean transvaginal. The machine she had bedside had a tool for abdominal US as well, I just think the screen is smaller and quality probably lower than a non-bedside US.

BabyFetus Ticker