Baby Names
Options

Alan, Allan or Allen. Which is the original spelling?

I think we decided on a middle name for our baby due in December. However, I would like to find out the original spelling and use that. Google searching seems to be no help on the matter, so I thought someone here may know :)
Thanks in advance!

Re: Alan, Allan or Allen. Which is the original spelling?

• Options
    BTN gives it to Alan.
  • Options
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Alan. I think Allen is the spelling for the last name, at least that's what I've noticed.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited October 2015
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help. Don't know why I couldn't find it on BTN myself? The baby's taking all my brain power. That's my excuse, at least ;)
  • Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited October 2015
    I agree - Alan is a fn, Allen is a surname, Allan just looks misspelled.

ETA- this is coming from Midwest USA, not sure how spelling is typical with different cultures/languages.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our number one choice for a boy is Allan.  That was my grandpa's name, but mainly it's one of the few we can agree on.  Not sure why my great-grandparents spelled his name like that.  They were German speakers, so they wouldn't have used Allen because that means all.  It's tradition in my family now, so we're going for it.  
  • Options
    I like Alan.
  • Options
    I want to say Alan.
    But I did know a guy whose first name was Allen. But I think he was the exception, most of the time I've only seen Alan.
  • Options
    I think Alan. Dh middle name is spelled Alan. I do work with someone and their last name is Allan
  • Options
    Love Alan. I considered naming my son that.
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    edited October 2015
    Alan.

ETA https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XgvR3y5JCXg because it makes me laugh

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    It's from SO's brothers mn. He spells it Allan, but I knew that couldn't be the correct spelling because it just doesn't look right. If we go with it as our sons MN it will be spelled Alan.
  • Options
    I think it's Alan. Alana is the feminine version, so spelling matches with Alan.