Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Intro and bunk bed question.

Hi ladies!

This is my first time on the Toddler board.
I was active in the March 2012 board, and I am on the December 2015 board now since we have a little on due in two months.

I have a question that I asked, and one of the sweet December 2015 mamas recommended I ask you gals.

DS will be 4 in February.

This was my post:
We've decided to go ahead and get a bunk bed for the kids until DS is old enough to be by himself on the first floor. We know baby will be in the crib for perhaps two years, but want DS to warm up to the idea of sleeping in a bunk bed.

For clients, I've designed custom built sleeping situations so never really looked into pre-made.
I've found a few DH and I both like, but I would like to know if any of you ladies own any of them. If you do, how do your kiddos like it?

These are the ones we like:
First choice: https://ducducnyc.com/product/alex-bunk-system

https://www.oeufnyc.com/index.php/furniture/beds/perch-bunk-bed.html

https://ducducnyc.com/product/austin-split-bunk-bed
Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Intro and bunk bed question.

• Options

I'm sorry but are you serious with the cost of those beds?! $4800 dollars?! Why on earth would anyone ever spend that much on a bed for a kid?

I personally don't like bunk beds and my son and daughter won't be sharing a room or sharing a bunk bed but all 3 of your choices looks just fine so I'd go with the most expensive one.  

• Options
    Bunk beds are something you need to think about in full scale.
    What kind of stairs/ladder does it have? Will your child be able to climb them easily?
    Is it a solid unit or can it be split into 2 beds? Is it important to you to have the possibility of it splitting into 2 beds if you were to eventually move them into separate rooms?
    How tall is it? Can you (the parent) sit up comfortably on the bottom bunk?
    Are you planning on your children to use this long term? If so, what sort of things do you think your children would need in a bunk bed as teenagers?
    Keep in mind what sort of things that can pose as dangers to a young child.

I have my 4 year old and 3 year old sons in a bunk bed. We opted for a solid unit with stairs, with storage drawers in the stairs. I wish I would have stuck to my choice and not have let DH talk me into this one. I do like it but there are somethings it could be better in.
    I love that it has stairs. My sisters's had a bunk bed and I remember the rung ladder was so dangers. Many times we fell from it or slipped on it or slipped through and got stuck on it.
    I initially loved that the stairs had drawers for storage.....until my boys figured out how to pull the drawers out and climb in behind.
    We like the height of it generally since my DH and I can reach top bunk easily but it does not leave much room for head space on the bottom bunk. We never thought of this as an issue until we had it set up at home. There is no space on the bottom bunk for an adult to sit upright, which is important to us for bedtime story time for our boys.
    We had wanted to get some serious long term use out of our bunk bed, so we got a unit that was built fairly sturdy, although, I wanted a bunk bed that could be split into 2 so that if we could have the option of having them in separate rooms without having to buy another bed.
    Hopefully this has been helpful insight.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Following as I am considering bunk beds as well.  What are thoughts on twin over double?  Think about buying and just not attached the rung ladder until DS is older.  This way head room won't be an issue for adults sitting as double bed jets out a little further.
  • Options
    We are getting a Kura Reversible Bed from Ikea. It is a single bed, which doubles as a loft bed. When it is set up like a loft bed, a second mattress could be put underneath making it a bunk bed. We figured this was the best option as our LOs will be 2 & 4 when they go into the bed. Here is a photo (from Pinterest, not mine):

• Options
    Devley526 I think twin over double or twin over twin is just a matter of preference.
    Twin over double definitely gets past the bottom bunk sitting space issue. My sisters's had a twin over double bunk bed and when they first got it they wanted to share the bottom bunk for the first year or two. I believe they were  3 and 4 when they got it. The twin over double has more room for 2 to share the bottom if your LOs want to ease into having a bunk bed that way.
    I personally prefer twin over twin, but I think it's because I like the symmetry of them. My boys just love that they can make a fort with it.