Secondary IF
Options

Introduction (loss mentioned, new cycle starting)

Hi ladies!

I am making a return to the boards after my last pregnancy loss as we are having to start all over with a fresh IVF cycle.  We already went through 6 blasts with one cycle which resulted in 4 miscarriages and 1 birth, our 19 month old.  I am both excited and very nervous to do this all over again, so I am here for support.  I start meds on Sunday Oct 4th and am doing the highest dose this time for Bravelle and Menopur, so I expect to be in a little more discomfort this time around. We are also doing PGS testing this time due to my recurring pregnancy loss. I am not expecting to get 6 blasts again this time though since I am several years older :/  If I only get 2 then I might just transfer fresh.  I guess this will all be figured out in a few weeks, but my doctor actually says they have a higher success rate with frozen transfers and they hardly ever do fresh ones anymore unless a patient demands it.  I just think it is much more expensive that way...after paying for a fresh cycle all over again to have to turn around a few weeks later and do a frozen seems financially harsh.  My meds alone this cycle are $8000!!! An FET there is almost $4000.  My history is in my siggy :)

Re: Introduction (loss mentioned, new cycle starting)

• Options
    i am so very sorry for the losses of your babies. i too know loss all too well. no one should have to go through that pain, ever.

as for your thought that doing a frozen cycle is merely for the monetary benefit of that doctor (if i understand you right), i think you may be mistaken. if they are going to do PGS or CCS they have to freeze the blasts in order to save them while waiting for the results of the biopsies. then, when the blasts are deemed normal or not, they can go on to schedule your transfer. you can't test for genetics without freezing.

also, many clinics prefer to do FETs over fresh cycles because the success rates with FETs ARE higher (which makes their clinic look better) and here's why. imagine you make 10 eggs and all 10 fertilize. by day 3 let's say 5 are looking perfect, the other 5 not so much. they will "push" those eggs to the blast stage and try to freeze-all for your CCS/PGS testing. FETs can have higher success rates because 1) you're dealing with blasts/or tested embryos (increasing the chances that the embie is normal), and 2) the RE can set up the uterus and hormone levels perfectly to give the woman the best possible shot for transfer success. in a fresh cycle, the body has gone through SO MUCH in the last 12-15 days. stims are HARSH on the body. retrieval is HARSH on the body. the stress level is high, which definitely affects the body in a negative way. whereas in a FET situation, the uterus is set up for perfect lining situation weeks in advance, hormone levels are constantly monitored and gradually changed, etc. therefore placing a blast (whether or not it's been tested) into a hormonally-balanced fluffy-lined uterus sets the patient up for the greatest chance for success.

does that make sense?
    Me: 36, DH: 36
    DH's SA = normal
    1 tube only wonder
    AFC 3-5, AMH 0.30

BFP #1 3/29/11.  EDD 12/4/11... Missed m/c 5/9/11. Cytotec fail. D&C 5/17/11.
    BFP #2   7/5/11.  EDD 3/14/12... Our rainbow Kellen born 3/14/12 via c/s.
    BFP #3 5/30/13.  EDD 2/8/14...  6wk u/s HB 126. 8wk u/s lost HB. D&C 7/12/13.
    BFP #4 2/18/14.  EDD 10/30/14... Ruptured ectopic with L tube removed & D&C 3/7/14.
    BFP #5 7/27/14.  EDD 4/9/15...  m/c @ 5w4d.

IVF #1    Oct 2014 - antagonist protocol: 9R, 7M, 5F. 3dt of 3 Grade 2 embies. BFN. 
    IVF #2    Jan 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.  Converted to IUI #1. BFFN
    IVF #2.1 March 2015 cancelled due to dominant follicle.

BFP #6  (SUPRISE!) 3/19/15.  EDD 11/30/15...  CP at 4w2d.
    IUI #2:    Clomid + Follistim = 3 follies. BFN.
    IVF #2.2 May 2015 - horrible response to micro lupron flare protocol: 3R, 3M, 3F. 3dt of 2 Grade 3 embies. BFFN. 

BFP #7 (beyond surprised again!) 4/26/16. EDD 1/5/17. beautiful betas!!!! and then near-fatal hemorrhagic corpus luteum. turns out baby was ectopic after all; another lap 5/6 (@24dpo).

the universe can fuck off.

"You are overly paranoid and delusional that every one is out to get you." -lastsliverofhope

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    all AL welcome. TTC #2 for 43 44 months.
    follow my infertility journey here at timestandsstillblog.com

• Options
    Thanks for your reply.  I totally understand my body will be under better health during an FET..but we may not do PGS if we only get 2 embryos.  If we get more than 2 then we will.  If we only get 2 I may just want to transfer...it will be kinda like a hail mary of sorts because we will not be doing IVF again.  I'd do it again, but we will not be able to afford it again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome!!  I am so very sorry for your losses.  That is absolutly heartbreaking.  I hope this next IVF cycle brings you your rainbow baby!  FX for you :) 
    ~~ All Welcome~~
    ME: 32, SER aggregates on eggs, anovulatory
    DH:  33, 2% morphology
    TTC #1 
    2 clomid cycles, 3 hybrid clomid/bravelle IUI's = 4 BFN/1 CP@ 5.5 weeks
    IUI #6 -Follitism IUI cycle converted to IVF and back to IUI-4 mature, 3 maybe mature = BFP!!   DS Born 9/2014
    TTC#2 
    IVF #1 9/15 Antagonist- 19 R 1F (Frozen day 1 @ 2PN stage) Diagnosed with SER aggregates in 13/19 eggs after failed fertilization
    IVF #2 11/15 Antagonist w/ICSI  (Higher stims & Letrosole added last minute on stim day 7)- 39R, 24M (20/24 SER free), 15F (14/15 SER free & all frozen @ 2PN stage) 
    FET#1 Cultured all 16- 2pn embryos to day 5- transferred 1 good hatching blast and 1 early blast on 1/28- None to freeze - beta 2/5

• Options
    Jodee37 said:
    i am so very sorry for the losses of your babies. i too know loss all too well. no one should have to go through that pain, ever.

as for your thought that doing a frozen cycle is merely for the monetary benefit of that doctor (if i understand you right), i think you may be mistaken. if they are going to do PGS or CCS they have to freeze the blasts in order to save them while waiting for the results of the biopsies. then, when the blasts are deemed normal or not, they can go on to schedule your transfer. you can't test for genetics without freezing.

also, many clinics prefer to do FETs over fresh cycles because the success rates with FETs ARE higher (which makes their clinic look better) and here's why. imagine you make 10 eggs and all 10 fertilize. by day 3 let's say 5 are looking perfect, the other 5 not so much. they will "push" those eggs to the blast stage and try to freeze-all for your CCS/PGS testing. FETs can have higher success rates because 1) you're dealing with blasts/or tested embryos (increasing the chances that the embie is normal), and 2) the RE can set up the uterus and hormone levels perfectly to give the woman the best possible shot for transfer success. in a fresh cycle, the body has gone through SO MUCH in the last 12-15 days. stims are HARSH on the body. retrieval is HARSH on the body. the stress level is high, which definitely affects the body in a negative way. whereas in a FET situation, the uterus is set up for perfect lining situation weeks in advance, hormone levels are constantly monitored and gradually changed, etc. therefore placing a blast (whether or not it's been tested) into a hormonally-balanced fluffy-lined uterus sets the patient up for the greatest chance for success.

does that make sense?
    @Jodee37 is a smart lady.  I second everything she said.

I'm sorry for your losses, OP.  I hope that this new plan works for you.  It seems like your doctor is on the same side as mine, that you have to have a certain number of embryos to even get to PGS testing.  Mine still prefers FETs even for patients who don't do PGS since it gives your body a chance to recover from stims.  GL to you!
    Me: 31     DH: 33
    Dx: Me: Recurrent Pregnancy Loss; DH: Low Morphology (2%)
    BFP#1: MC 3/1/11 at 6w1d - EDD 10/21/11
    BFP#2: 5/3/11 - EDD 1/9/12 - DD Born 1/6/12
    TTC #2 since 12/13
    BFP#3: MC 2/8/14 at 4w5d - EDD 10/13/14
    BFP#4: MC 5/6/14 at 4w4d - EDD 1/9/15
    BFP#5: MMC discovered 8/4/14 at 9w1d - D&C 8/5/14 - Baby Boy with Trisomy 16 (maternal origin) - EDD 3/8/15
    BFP#6: CP 11/6/14 at 4w2d - EDD 7/14/15
    IVF #1 with ICSI & PGS: May/June 2015, ER 6/3/15, 17R/17M/15F
    IVF #2 with ICSI & PGS: July 2015, ER 7/16/15, 16R/11M/9F
    PGS results = 6 normal embryos (4 boys, 2 girls)
    FET 9/23/15 = BFFN
    Natural FET 11/4/15 = BFP!
    Beta 9dp5dt = 92

• Options
    Welcome! Sorry for your losses. I hope this works for you. FX!
  • Options
    Welcome

imageimageimage
    My FF Chart:
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/490dd7
    TTC #3 since June 2013
    BFP #1 7/21/2013--EDD 3/30/14--D&C 9/24/13
    BFP #2 1/28/14--MC 2/7/14

IUI #1 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #2 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IUI #3 5mg Femara + trigger = BFN
    IVF #1, Stimmed for 12 days, ER 8/22/14, 9 retrieved, 7M, 7F!!  Freeze all due to fluid in uterus.
    FET end of October 2014 cancelled due to fluid in uterus due to possible c-scar defect
    Surgery scheduled 12/12/14 to fix possible isthmocele
    3/26/15 transferred one 8 cell grade 4 embryo and one 6 cell grade 3 embryo = slow rising betas for 2+ weeks = ectopic MTX shot 4/29/15
    Repeat c-scar surgery June 2015
    2nd and last IVF cycle August 2015, stimmed for 12 days, 2 egg retrieved, both mature and both fertilized.  Transferred both 8-cell embryos on Day 3, beta 9/5/15 = BFFN
    MOVING TO ADOPTION!  

• Options
    Welcome!  Best of luck to you!!!