1st Trimester

Unisom/b6 vs. Phenergan

any success stories with either of these options? I have been miserable 24/7 with sickness for 20 days now. Can't live like this and need to get back to work. I tried to go without medicine but now I am seeing it as necessary.

Re: Unisom/b6 vs. Phenergan

• I've used Phenergan for insomnia but not for MS. It's working well for me for that.
  • Phenergan will knock you out. It's typically used as a sedative and is also a cat c medication during pregnancy. I've suffered with morning sickness into my third tri this pregnancy and found half a unisom with b6 twice a day works wonders or you could try a full pill before bed. Avoid taking b6 too close to bedtime, it can cause terrible nightmares.
  • Loading the player...
  • doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited October 2015
    I've been using Phenergan at night and it seems to help me until I take it again the next night. Preggy Pops during the day are really helping too. I've seen a lot of ladies using Vitamin B6 and Unisom and it's working for them. I tried those and they aren't working for me.

ETA: Phenergan actually made me really sick the first time. I hadn't eaten enough beforehand I found out.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Thanks girls. I took my first phenergan dose today and do not see a difference with my terrible nausea but I did sleep hard all day. Hoping i start to notice a difference tomorrow. My pharmacist had never heard of unisom/b6 combo which made me nervous so that's why I chose the phenergan. After today I'll take at night instead of day.
  • The Unisom/B6 combo was on my OB's list of remedies for MS.  I take half a Unisom three times per day.  It's not perfect, but it helps me get through me day.  I do notice when I forget to take it regularly.  For me, it's easier to prevent MS rather than try to make it better, so I try to take it throughout the day.  

I can't take Phenegran.  Last time I took it I slept for about 16 hours.
  • Unisom/B6 is a great combo. Worked great for me. There's actually a medicine (called diclegis) that your doctor can prescribe that is the two of them combined in one pill.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am 6w6d and have had a terrible pit of nausea in my stomach 24/7 since 5w2d. No vomiting but I'm miserable :( ...I started b6 50mg TID and think it might be helping? Ginger ale and ginger chews might be too... I can't really tell. Just when I think I feel good, it hits me. The first week all I could keep down was pastas, breads, and bland crackers. I still haven't had real meat in over a week. :( but getting protein and taking my multi of course. Most everything just sounds icky! Blahhh to first trimester MS! I really hope it doesn't last all 12 weeks! Do you think I should be taking the b6 with unisom? I just don't want to get drowsy firing the day.
  • Omgoodness Unisom has helped me tremendously especially at night. I'm 9 weeks and I have found myself waking up and constantly tossing and turning from my having nausea but after a few nights of taking Unisom I sleep better and I don't find myself having as much morning sickness as before. :)
  • My doctor wanted me to take zofran or phenergan. I said no to both because neither is a category-a drug and they're linked to known birth defects. However diclegis (aka unisom and b6) is a category-a drug and is totally safe. I started taking it two days ago. I take it before bed and now the nausea usually doesn't start for a few hours after I wake up and isn't as bad. It is a drastic improvement from where I was a few days ago (I couldn't even keep down water and ginger ale).
  • Unisom+B6 not only didn't work for me, but it made me even sicker. And so tired. I was a puking nauseated zombie.
    Phenergan also makes me very tired, but taking it at night wasn't *as* bad, and it helped a lot.
    Zofran helped some too, didn't make me tired, but whoa constipation. Be prepared to take preventative measures!
    Reglan super scares me.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama!