June 2015 Moms
Options

Insurance question... As in baby has none

sorry I'm making a special snowflake thread, just need some advice/information/thoughts.

We moved to New Jersey from Pennsylvania and so we had to cancel LO's insurance since it didn't cross state lines. Now we need her birth certificate to get her new insurance but we haven't gotten it back since we sent it in to be corrected. Her coverage ended today and I have been trying to contact the place we sent her BC to but haven't been able to get through.

I don't know what to do. It's so annoying. Should I just wait and pray and hope nothing happens in the mean time or... (Hopeful lead into a suggestion to get this taken care of)

Re: Insurance question... As in baby has none

• Options
    What does New Insurance Co. say? Will they take a copy or something in the meantime, or can her coverage be backdated once they do get the certificate?
  • Options
    Is this insurance with an employer, private or state? Definately make sure to find out how long you have to get her added to coverage and deadline to provide docs. No assumptions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

What does New Insurance Co. say? Will they take a copy or something in the meantime, or can her coverage be backdated once they do get the certificate?

I didn't even think to ask if it could be backdated. I'll call tomorrow and ask! Thanks!

• Options

Is this insurance with an employer, private or state? Definately make sure to find out how long you have to get her added to coverage and deadline to provide docs. No assumptions.

It's state. It used to be private with mine and my husband's but healthcare marketplace moved LO's. I don't even get it.

I'll ask again about deadlines. I'm trying to get everything in as soon as possible. The only thing I'm missing is her birth certificate ~X(
  • Options
    47923ang47923ang member
    edited October 2015
    Have you sent in the application for the new insurance for a 10/1 effective, or were you waiting for the birth certificate to apply?

If the application is pending the document, you should have a period of time to get the document in. As long as that time period doesn't run out, it should back date to October 1.

If you haven't applied yet, you'll need to specifically ask if the effective date can be 10/1. Some companies will back date, some won't.

ETA: I somehow missed your response that it's state insurance. Obamacare is set up that if the state can pay for someone (your LO in this case) then they need to get the insurance from the state. You could technically buy insurance (If you bought it directly from a company, not the marketplace) for your LO, but you wouldn't be eligible for any subsidies. By doing this, federal is sharing the costs with the state.
  • Options
    I can only speak from my experience, but I work in the biling department in a pediatric office so we deal with alot of kiddos with state health plans! From what I've seen they will make the effective date of the insurance the date you APPLIED. As soon as you get the birth certificate in they will make it effective back to that date. They usually ask if you have any medical bills they need to cover etc. Obviously you should call and double check, I'm not sure of each state is different so I can just speak for mine. (Oregon). Hope they can get they're stuff together soon!
  • Options
    My LO has state insurance and I just used the birth certificate they give at the hospital. They accepted that. Idk if your state may be stricter.
  • Options
    beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited October 2015
    If it makes you feel any better, my husband missed the open enrollment period at work (30days after baby was born) to add him to his insurance. So baby has not had insurance since July. I was livid when I found out. I live in California and we don't qualify for any government programs because our income is too high. I researched the affordable care act and nope don't qualify either. So now we are finally enrolling him this month but it won't take effect until January 2016. So I've paid out of pocket is 2 month vaccines and his 4 month vaccines are coming up. So I'm praying that no emergency happens until then. So yeah, paying out of pocket was pretty expensive!

I hope that your issue resolves. But my main advise is to make sure you don't miss any deadlines!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    ^^ I'd have strangled my DH!