December 2015 Moms
Options

Kissing the baby.

I'm worried about people trying to kiss my baby because I'm very germaphobic plus you never know if anyone has some type of disease. I know for a fact I'm not the only mom that is really territorial with their soon to be first child. I am also scared of someone dropping my baby. Anyone feel the same way about this?

Re: Kissing the baby.

• Options
    As long as they aren't sick or smokers I won't have a problem with it. As for dropping the baby, everybody who will hold him are experienced in baby holding so I'm sure they can handle it.
  • Options
    Worrying is natural as long as we don't let it consume us. I'm just going to tell everyone no mouth kisses, that should keep baby safer, but still lets people kiss her adorable little head. I would only worry about someone very old or very young dropping the baby, no else is going to drop baby. If they're very young/old, just sit them down on the couch with a pillow and baby will be fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I never really thought about until I read this recent story -- very scary:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/moms-facebook-warning-kissing-baby-leads-to-herpes-infection/

I am already pretty germophobic so I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with anyone kissing her on the mouth. But I don't think I'll be able to keep my parents from some kisses to the head or cheek -- as long as they're all vaccinated and not showing any sickness symptoms I think it will be ok to me. Strangers/acquaintances though... No way.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've never witnessed anyone kissing a baby on the mouth. Toddlers with their sloppy kisses - sure- but I think most people know not to kiss a baby on the mouth. And just ask people to sit/wash their hands/etc before holding the baby - they will get the idea. The worst you'll get is an eye roll I'm sure - but they don't have to be up with a sick baby that can't take any meds.
    Meanwhile hopefully breastfeeding is an option for you so you can share your immune system.
    Try not to worry, mama, you'll be surprised how much better you're going to feel once the baby is here. ❤️❤️
  • Options
    Ew no mouth kisses for sure. I don't see a way to stop the cheek and head kisses, though. We all know how grandparents and aunts are ;)
  • Options
    grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
    edited September 2015
    FYI you can get the herpes virus by kisses to the cheek also...
    I plan on telling all visitors to wash their hands, no kissing ("doctors orders due to the prevalent flu virus"), and if they are getting over a sickness or feeling bad to skip the visit.
  • Options
    KatC129KatC129 member
    edited September 2015

My 1st LO is expected in mid-December but I promising myself I will not be one of those moms that pulls out hand sanitizer for people to wash finger tip to elbow in before they hold my baby. But I am definitely setting ground rules of NO MOUTH or FACE KISSES!! ^^For exactly the reason just above my post! I don't know if that will become an issue but its better to set the rules before the baby is here. I know friends that have had this issue though. I just don't understand why people feel the need to get in someone's baby's face like that???

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Could you possibly put your baby in a baby carrier (like a Moby or Solly wrap) when you present him/her to people? That's what I was planning to do when I go visit my work. No one is going to bend over that close to your infant if he/she stays in a carrier, nor would they ask to hold your baby.
  • Options
    I too never thought much about it until I saw the samething about herpes. I will simply be asking that due to germs/viruses please refrain from kissing my baby on his face. They are welcome to kiss his head or anywhere else. My mom is the only one that I think may ignore me, but she had never had cold sores, everyone else won't have a problem with my request.

• Options
    No one is kissing my child unless it's my husband. I don't really have a choice there but I can't stand random family/friends members that stink there noses and mouths in babies faces during flu season. I wish people were more considerate in that aspect!
  • Options
    I think a lot of people don't think about it, I know I never thought about passing germs onto a baby if I kissed them until I got pregnant and started hearing how these things trasmit and how babies are so sensitive.
    I'll be asking people to not go near my son if they're sick (ie cough, cold sore, infection)
    But I'm not going to do a whole medical history on them
  • Options
    Yeah no lip kisses.

The dropping thing... totally me too!! I think of it and cringe. I think of him falling out of the clothe carrier or me tripping on a dog bone in the.middle of the night.

• Options
    My parents never kissed us on the lips. I honestly can't think of anyone who kisses kids that isn't a parent or maybe grandparent. I can only think of one that I've ever seen kiss on the lips (it was preschool child initiated to a parent). My dads family asks toddlers or preschoolers for "sugar" a kiss on the cheek and a hug. This is a totally foreign concept to me.

@vashleyhernandez common cold sores are supposed to be herpes simplex which is a different virus strain than genital herpes. Common cold sores are only supposed to be significantly contagious if you have a cold sore at the time (if the kiss is a quick peck, anyway). I can't say that genital herpes couldn't cause a mouth sore--I am not an expert on herpes. My cold sore knowledge comes from an "over the counter medication class" in college where we discussed cold sores.
  • Options
    I'm nervous about this actually. I am in the "kiss my child on the lips and I'll punch you" camp. I don't care if it's a relative or not.

But, I don't know how my in-laws are going to be, because this is their first grandchild. So, I'm just going to play it by ear and see what happens before I give them any rules and cause unnecessary drama. They could feel the exact same way.
  • Options
    I'm nervous about this actually. I am in the "kiss my child on the lips and I'll punch you" camp. I don't care if it's a relative or not. But, I don't know how my in-laws are going to be, because this is their first grandchild. So, I'm just going to play it by ear and see what happens before I give them any rules and cause unnecessary drama. They could feel the exact same way.
    I am in the same camp. I would be extremely pissed if someone did that to my child. I can already tell I will have no filter when it comes to baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so guilty of kissing my little cousin on his cheek one time, of course I wasn't sick , and depending on the kin to the child I'll honestly have to admit that's it's kind of hard to resist kissing an adorable newborn baby on the cheek ESPECIALLY when their little cheeks are chubby. I have NEVER thought about or even tried to lip kiss anyone else's baby ,other than my very own once I have them, whether their kin or not. So wtbs NO ONE other than me and their dad will be lip kissing them. Cheek wise I won't argue with their Granny because their her first, she's going to be their sitter once I go back to work, and if I told her not too she'll just do it when I'm away anyway lol so she gets a pass.
  • Options

I'm not letting anyone kiss my child. If they get upset, too bad. I've had cold sores since I was a child. If I, the person who carried and birthed the little one, cannot and will not kiss him, neither will ANYONE else BUT his father who does not have cold sores. I do not care who's feelings I hurt and I will gladly get up and get my son. Do I sound crazy? Yes, absolute psycho. But I'm not risking it. I will even hand out the pictures and story about that little baby from CBS news. I will also give anyone who chooses not to get vaccinated a hand out of the young baby who passed away from catching, I believe, the whooping cough. People need to stop being self-centered and entitled, and recognize that these decisions are NOT about them. They are about the baby. My baby comes before your selfish feelings. Be mad in the waiting room, if you must. *Shrugs*
    So the Herpes virus you guys mention is the one that gives you cold sores?
    Simplex 1, which is different from genital herpes which is simplex 2. It can be passed from kissing, I believe saliva and sharing things like cups and so on. Most of the people I know, have had this issue since early childhood.
  • Options
    I never kissed my parents on the lips (that I remember). I never kissed my daughter on the lips (she is 2 now) until recently because she started asking for them, probably because she sees Mommy and Daddy kiss on the lips when Daddy gets home from work. I still don't initiate it. I will kiss her on her cheeks at bedtime, and only kiss her mouth if she specifically requests it.

To answer a PPs question, people cannot resist kissing a little baby's chubby cheeks. I still can't resist my daughter's cheeks! I don't get trying to kiss a baby on the mouth, though.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @KatC129 said:

My 1st LO is expected in mid-December but I promising myself I will not be one of those moms that pulls out hand sanitizer for people to wash finger tip to elbow in before they hold my baby. But I am definitely setting ground rules of NO MOUTH or FACE KISSES!! ^^For exactly the reason just above my post! I don't know if that will become an issue but its better to set the rules before the baby is here. I know friends that have had this issue though. I just don't understand why people feel the need to get in someone's baby's face like that???

You are still going to make sure they wash their hands before they touch your baby, though, right? Maybe not hand sanitizer, but a hand-washing isn't crazy to ask for.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    redfallon said:

@KatC129 said:

You are still going to make sure they wash their hands before they touch your baby, though, right? Maybe not hand sanitizer, but a hand-washing isn't crazy to ask for.

Seriously.
  • Options
    Daphneh28Daphneh28 member
    edited October 2015
    Definetly never kissed parents on the mouth. I am Hispanic so we kiss in the cheek ALL THE TIME. Saying hi saying bye it's always kiss kiss kiss on the cheek. So I do expect close family to kiss baby but I will make a point that if you are sick to get away from baby. It will be hard especially cause holidays are coming (due 12/7) so newborn and parties that I must attend are making me nervous. I think I will compromise by showing up late and leaving early. We do the whole Christmas midnite thing so showing up at 11 pm and leaving at 12:30ish 12:45 sounds good. *edited cause iPad sucks lol*
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    My family has never kissed each other or babies on the mouth, so I don't see that being an issue. You can get herpes simplex 1 on your eyes and tip of the nose. I'm not sure how to go about asking people not to kiss my LO? Is there a tactful way of asking people not to kiss him?