Infertility
Options

Femara/CM

I've been on femara 7 cycles now and never really had a lot of CM and lately there is even less. I take fertile CM pills that can help produce more. 

I have read about hostile CM and wonder if I should ask about that? 

Re: Femara/CM

• Options
    You may want to see if they can do a postcoital test (PCT), which can test to see how your DH's sperm are surviving in your environment. I haven't heard of that being a problem with Femera, but I also haven't looked into it, so that may be possible. Generally, the less CM, the harder it is for the sperm to survive. If you are doing an IUI, it won't matter, but with TI it definitely does!

Both of my PCTs were done with my CD 13 monitoring. You just BD the night before and they take a small sample of fluid from the tip of your cervix and put it under a microscope. It is fascinating to see!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    @riveridgional thanks for the response and input! This will be our second IUI but of course they advise Intercourse day of and 2 days afterward.
    My other concern would be how fresh my DH`s semen is. It's recommended no sex/ejaculation a couple days before IUI to allow semen to build up.
    But I will definitely ask. Thanks again.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    edited September 2015
    I had a PC test and the swimmers were dead. We moved onto IUI. His swimmers are fine for IUI. I was on Femara. IUI bypasses CM, so I wouldn't worry about it. 

ETA: we abstained for 3 days the first time and just 2 for each cycle after that.  My RE recommends abstain for 2 days no more than 5
  • Options
    My RE put us straight to IUI (no TI) on our first letrozol cycle bc he said it stops the production of EW CM so yes! That's why the IUI is necessary. For the BDing afterward you can use preseed which helps the sperm transit through the cervix similarly to fertile CM. even so, the BDing is more like closing the barn door, just a check in case of later than normal O and a desire to get as many swimmers as possible in the right spot even if it's just a tiny, stalwart few. :) GL!!
  • Options
    @HBamama2B LOL that's a good way of explaining it! We have some preseed that we'll try. Thanks! 
    What has your experience been with the IUI? Our second is coming up. 
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited September 2015
    I had 2 IUI but they didn't work for us. That said, it was a fairly painless process and I didn't find the meds bad at all despite some fatigue on letrozol. I had 2 follies cycle 1 and 3 cycle 2.

My DX is PCOS but I responded well. DH has low morph on top of the PCOS so our odds each cycle were well under 10%. The RE recommended we move on due to the male and female factor issues. :) we are now at the ET day for our 1st IVF and I have to say the process, while much more taxing than IUI, isn't nearly as bad as I feared. And the 40% live birth rate for each cycle in our Dx/age range makes me feel much much better. Like, idk, like it's actually somewhat possible for me to get KTFU.

GL on your cycle! FX for you!
  • Options
    ^correction: except for PIO. PIO sucks.

(This message brought to you by IFRSAPIO, IFers against PIO)
  • Options
    @HBamama2B sending you good IVF vibes. I don't think we'll be able to afford that. This will be our second IUI with my unexplained infertility. My husbands tests are all coming back good.