July 2015 Moms
Options

Things I said I wouldn't do

What are some things you said you would not do that you are doing now? For me it was an epidural and formula. I was begging for drugs after 4 hours of pushing and we have had a lot of problems breastfeeding due to extended hospital stays for both him and later me.

Re: Things I said I wouldn't do

• Options
    I haven't done it in a long while, but I have given her a paci a few times when she would cry night after night for the first few weeks. I've never liked pacifiers and have even had disagreements with my in laws about them.
  • Options
    With my first I was obsessive about nothing in the crib until 1 year and no sleeping anywhere but the crib or pack n play. Now I will use a blanket if I'm in the same room (not overnight) and if she falls asleep in her car seat I cart it throughout the house with me and let her sleep.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wasn't 100% against it, but I was determined to go epidural-free.. I ended up with two and a spinal block( emergency c section)

I was also pretty against pacifiers and he uses one quite a bit. Thankfully he self-regulates that use and only wants it when he's pretty tired.

Other than that I haven't done much that I said I wouldn't, simply because I didn't have a lot of strong opinions on how I would raise him. I just want him healthy and happy. So far he is both.
  • Options
    Prop a bottle... Ya happens daily. I am not super woman and I seriously have to pee sometimes but DS doesn't think it is needed when he is eating. I am only human and I am confident that lo will not grow up with attachment issues because I propped a bottle every now and again.
  • Options
    Formula. My goal was to BF for the first 6 months at least. I only made it 2 months with low supply making it nearly impossible.
    Letting LO sleep in bed with me is another one. I said no way but sometimes in the early morning if I put her in bed with me I can get another hour or 2 of sleep. I get home from work at 1130 pm and don't fall asleep until 1 usually. Those extra hours really help us I love the cuddles :)
  • Options
    TV exposure...sometimes when he's having a screaming melt down I let him face the TV and he starts watching the flashing lights and calms down. Even 5 minutes of silence lets my ears recover.
  • Options
    Really wanted a med free birth. Got an epidural after 12 hours of labor on pitocin. I had so much guilt about it after I had the baby but now I'm glad I got it. The other one is the pacifier. She doesn't get it too often and she doesn't always take it when I try to give it to her so I guess that's good. Planning to get rid of it at around 3-4months.
  • Options
    Co-sleeping or rather bed sharing. I said I would never do it. Then I read an article by a doctor at Notre Dame that bed sharing is common in Japan where they have the lowest SIDS rate. However, I am currently telling myself that when he finally sleeps through the night he will be moved to his crib. Before I get any negative comments I thought I would share some info https://www.cosleeping.org/
  • Options
    I said I would never have little one without socks/ shoes. She strongly dislikes her socks and shoes! I put them on and she kicks them off within 10 minutes. My DS very rarely kicked off his socks or shoes so I never had a problem.
  • Options
    My SO was very against him sleeping in our bed, for safety concerns.. I've napped with him a good handful of times and have no guilt about it. I'm not a wiggly person in my sleep and I'm aware that my baby is there..

He did have a cute moment where he had started to doze, so surrounded himself and babe with pillows. I suggested he put him down, but he insisted on holding him longer. It came down to me sitting up and watching them nap so SO would know our little man was safe( we had just came home from a hospital stay and were sleep-deprived and highly emotional;not wanting to put him in his rock n play)
  • Options
    I said I would never have the baby in the bed.... but I have been guilty of doing it a few times. I've done it when LO has woken up really early and I wanted to squeeze in a couple more hours of sleep, or if he woke up before my alarm went off.
  • Options
    @mbilbrey00 after consulting with our doctor and maternal health child nurse we also bed share, and follow all the strict guidelines. My partner is Indian and I'm South African and in our countries it's an extremely common practice. We said that we wouldn't do this either but it gives me peace of mind and makes DD happy lol also I'm in Australia and we have just come out of winter and it's been super cold, and with bed sharing she no longer has a stuffy nose, as we did try her in the cradle first couple of weeks. Also the pacifier! She loves it!
  • Options
    I said I wouldn't give him a pacifier. He gets it occasionally. He's not a big fan of it, but sometimes he will take it to nap. I wish he would take it more! Lol
  • Options
    Very sad that some are still dwelling on regrets from their birth experience
  • Options
    Pacifier and formula! We broke down after the first week for the pacifier.
  • Options
    My entire birth was everything that I said I wouldn't do. Got induced because of his size estimate (I had an injury to my pelvis and we were worried that he would get stuck), I had insane back labor and would up with an epidural because it hurt so much that I kept throwing up and nearly blacked out, he stopped progressing after 12 hours of labor and his heart rate started dropping with every contraction, so I wound up with an emergency c-section. Then he lost 20% of his body weight in 5 days after birth while I was EBF because my supply was and still is pathetic, so we have to supplement every feeding with formula (which I also said I wouldn't do as I had planned to bf for at least 6 months).

In the end I have a happy, healthy little boy, just not the way I hoped it would be.
  • Options
    TV...my DH lets her watch while I'm getting morning sleep. I hate it but the sleep is intoxicating so I let it happen.
  • Options
    Epidural. Got it and loved it. I also thought I would never sit around watching TV all day, but she still sleeps a ton so after all the chores are done I have nothing else to do!
  • Options
    For everyone that is against lo watching tv my sister suggested little Einstein videos for baby and I found them on YouTube there's tons on there I have tried setting up my tablet for tummy time unfortunately my little doesn't care he just hates tummy time regardless lol
  • Options
    For everyone that is against lo watching tv my sister suggested little Einstein videos for baby and I found them on YouTube there's tons on there I have tried setting up my tablet for tummy time unfortunately my little doesn't care he just hates tummy time regardless lol
    Little einsteins is also on Netflix.... i clicked on the kids section the other day and they have TONS of shows
  • Options
    I thought I'd be more laid-back about things:  I'll let her sleep wherever she falls asleep, whoever wants to hold her can hold her, we'll just continue on with life as it was (but this time with baby)…  NOPE!  Mommy hormones kicked in.  Baby comes first (and I love it)!!
  • Options
    Sleep at night in the Rock and Play...I hadn't planned on using that for more than naps but LO has reflux and it's the only way she can sleep comfortably. I even asked the pediatric gastro dr and he said well I can't say it's fine but I'll tell you this, my baby slept in it for like 7 months. Lol.
  • Options
    I've done just about everything I said I wouldn't and my SO teases me to no end about it. Pacifier. He uses it to go to sleep and almost always ends up spitting it out once asleep, so I'm not too bothered by it. Sleeping in bed with us. For a while he would only sleep on my chest. Now he'll sleep in bassinet but occasionally I'll let him sleep with us for an extra hour or two of sleep. A big no-no, I know, but I'm a light sleeper and I literally don't move an inch when he's in there. Bottles. I breastfeed but Sometimes pump and use a bottle to give myself a break...and daddy can feed him as well. Formula. He stopped feeding from me for a few days so My milk supply dwindled a bit. I had to supplement a few times to pump and build my supply back up. I was devastated at first, but I got over it quickly knowing he was fed and full, regardless of what he ate. TV. He is mesmerized by it at times, and it will catch his attention sometimes long enough that I can eat or do a chore!
  • Options
    My hisband and I now eat dinner on the couch with cartoons on so that the LO will watch tv and we can eat together
  • Options
    LO sleeps in bed with us, every night. It's what works for us and makes him the most comfortable.
  • Options
    T.V. I swore my baby would never watch T.V. She's 2 months old and she will twist her whole head/neck/body around no matter where I put her if she can catch a glimpse of the TV. It happens and I'm not going to beat myself up about her watching the weather channel occasionally.
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • Options
    TV too! I've read about how it's not beneficial for babies but sometimes it calms her down when nothing else is working! I feel guilty about it but every once in awhile it gives me a much needed break!
  • Options
    Ever wonder if we are beating ourselves up with things that don't really matter? Like watching TV is going to hinder their growth or sleeping in bed with us will lead to SIDS. It all seems to silly. Just sayin
  • Options
    Haha my boy loves the TV....I figure I'll just put on the little educational cartoons! When he's older I'll make sure he plays outside, etc...but if it makes him smile and lift his head up to look at the tv....then so be it!
  • Options

Haha my boy loves the TV....I figure I'll just put on the little educational cartoons! When he's older I'll make sure he plays outside, etc...but if it makes him smile and lift his head up to look at the tv....then so be it!

My thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    @NYMominCA perfectly said. I set my mind to certain things but have learned to never verbalize them. Although, I must say- I've done all the things I thought about doing...so far. I did say my daughter will never take a pacifier....I tried giving her one to give my nipples a break and she refused to take it. Touché, child. Well played.