Infertility

Switching to IVF...what should I expect?

Hi ladies. I just got AF after another failed IUI and we have decided to move on to IVF. I already have 2 children which were conceived naturally after a little over a year each time. I was also pregnant once with the help of climid and TI but that ended in a miscarriage at 9 weeks. IUI is not working. I have a blocked tube and DH has some morph issues. I am 34 DH is 36
What should I expect with IVF? Is it painful? Are the meds a lot more intense. Would love to hear some success stories!

Re: Switching to IVF...what should I expect?

• I'm so sorry you have to go through this, I know it's a lot to take in when switching from iui to ivf.
    The process itself is a lot more extensive and painful, in my opinion. How different it will be from your iui will depend on your clinic and how they choose to do the protocol.
    For myself, it was a 2 month process with bcp, 3 daily injections, test procedures, the retrieval, the transfer and more injections and medications. The meds were more intense for me because there were so many injections. It was also a lot more work because you need to take the injections at certain times, so you'll have to plan your schedule around your injections and bring them with you if you're going out.
    When you get your protocol sheet, you will feel a huge burst of feeling overwhelmed and it will be completely normal! It's a complicated process, but is easier than it seems. Then, when you get your shipment of medications, you'll feel overwhelmed again. Honestly, I cried. At these times, you need to take a deep breath, remember how doable it all is, and remember the possible outcome is worth it all.

If you search this board, you'll find a lot of good tips on everything you'll be doing. You'll also find others that are just starting their ivf journeys, so you can have someone going through it all with you.

I wish you luck on your journey.
  • Best of luck and FX crossed!

One of the great things about this community is that the IVF veterans here will be honest with you that the process can be very overwhelming. Not only are the meds intense, but the timing can actually be very critical. Add to that the stress of the money (ulness you are one of the lucky few) and the panic that you're really at one of the last options and it can be a lot to take in. But if you spend time on this board you will truly know and understand that IVF can work for you! Don't let the overwhelming part of the process discourage you.

One thing that I would recommend that you think about before you go in is to have already thought about some of the technical things that they'll ask you:
    - Will you want to do ICSI? You're less likely to be afraid of or freaked out by this process if you've read about it.
    - Same with assisted hatching.
    - What are your feelings on embryo transfers and how many to do? 

If you've already thought about some of those bigger questions before you go in, you'll find the first discussion a lot less overwhelming!
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Loading the player...
  • IVF is very intimidating but we are much stronger. I would definitely ask away when it comes to this process because there is a lot of information. With the meds they are pretty intense but you try and remember why you are doing it and well at least that's what gets me through it. I am one of the ones that are completely OOP so I have to find the little things that make me not stress about the money. Good luck to you on this journey and again there are many on here with tons of knowledge and we are all here to support.
    TC Since 2006
    Me: 33
    Dx: Hydrosalpinx
    DH: 34
    Dx: Perfect
    IUI #1-4 = BFN
    BCP Started 2/23/2014, Tubal ligation surgery 3/5/2014
    1 Polyp removed, Tubes are bye bye.
    IVF #1 - Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Lupron, ER 4/14, Freeze All, OHSS
    31R, 28M, 21 fertilized! 
    FET#1 - 06/26/14 transferred 5 day blasts 2- 1 4AA and 1 3BB lining at 12 (PIO shots, Progesterone and Estradiol)
    Beta 7/10/14 14dp5dt = BFFN
    FET#2- 9/25 Transfer day 3, 2- 10 cell Lining at 12
    10/2/15 - Progesterone Check 30
    10/9/15 - 14dp3dt BFN
    4/27/16 - Mock transfer protocol- Vit C, Vit D, DHEA, Prenatal, Lovenox, Estradiol, PIO
    FET #3 - 5/18/16 - 

• Thank you ladies for your responses. I'm a little nervous but I also don't want to keep putting it off! How many rounds of IVF have you done?
    I will be making a long list of questions before I go in on Friday. I can't believe we are moving onto this. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end!
  • ShayLatriceShayLatrice member
    edited September 2015
    alexiskiriluk  IVF is an intimidating process, but so many have done it before you so just remember as you go through it that you aren't alone and that you can get through every step of it. 

Organization is key: make sure that when your meds arrive they are organized and that you familiarize yourself with each one and how it is given. Make sure you  have the right needles paired with the right meds. Last thing you want to do is give yourself a shot with the wrong needle... OUCH. Also, organize your life as much as possible during the time you are on an IVF cycle. You'll be tired, physically and mentally drained and lethargic a lot, so the better your daily life is organized the easier it will be. After a certain point, you may not feel like cooking, cleaning doing laundry...etc. With that said, don't be hard on yourself when you don't feel like doing anything... your body and mind are going through a lot with this process, so there will be times when you just need to do nothing but relax. 

People understand IUI better than they do IVF so anyone who knows you are TTC with IVF are going to probably overwhelm you with questions/comments/concerns... you're going to have to really establish how much information you wish to divulge to people. If you do this upfront it'll save you a lot of added stress and headache as you go through the process. 

jnissa  said, you want to think about some of the more technical stuff ahead of time, included in that are the genetic testing for you and your spouse to determine if the embryos are at risk for any significant genetic disorders/diseases or chromosomal abnormalities. There is also testing of the embryos themselves to as well... both are added costs and the embryo testing is considered a risk, because it could possibly damage the embryo. Neither tests increase your chances of success, but just be aware they  may try to talk you into them because your IUIs weren't successful. 

Have as much fun as you can in the process, and let this be a time when you and DH get closer and strengthen your bond. 

Use this group as your sounding board, like I said no one in your life is going to really understand IVF unless they have been through it. You'll find just about all the answers you need here because somebody on here has probably gone through the exact same thing or something similar as you. 

Inject the meds slowly, this will help to reduce the bruising especially if they prescribe you Menopur. 

And it's ok to be overwhelmed... we all have been at some point in this process. 

*** Pregnancy & Miscarriage Mentioned***
    ME: 34/DH: 33
    TTC (On & Off) Since 2008
    Diagnosed DOR August 2013 
    2009-2013 6 Clomid Rounds which resulted in 3 Cysts/Had to take some time off from TTC
    10/2014 ~ BFP (Natural Pregnancy) after 3 months Acupuncture/Miscarriage at 10 wks
    7/2015 ~ Med Protocol#1: Failed Cycle/Only 1 Egg/Unable to convert to IUI because thin uterus lining
    08/2015 ~ Med Protocol #2: Started stims 09/13
    ER 10/9 with 6 Eggs Retrieved/3 SNOWFLAKES!!

10/22/15 ~ AF Showed up, waiting for Fibroid removal.
    10/28/15 ~ Saline Ultrasound - Fibroids were gone. FET scheduled for December 3rd!
    12/08/15 ~ FET of one hatching Embaby

12/21/15 ~ 13dp5dfet Beta 755! I'M PREGNANT!!!/ 
    12/23/15 ~15dp5dfet Beta 1539!

01/05/16 ~ 1st Ultrasound - 2 little beans and 2 Heartbeats (120 & 125 bpm)

My Fur Baby: Diva Celeste McClendon

• I'll keep it short bc everything above is spot on.
    1) enjoy your break! Whichever protocol, you'll have a bit of time on OCPs just to enjoy the kiddos and DH. A date, glass of wine, fun day at the park. And the time on OCPs actually passes much quicker than our dreaded 2ww.
    2) watch the videos before the meds arrive, the box was really the only thing that I wasn't expecting. It's a lot, at once, but you only inject it one at a time.
    3) you can do this and we are here as you do. GL!