March 2016 Moms
Options

Everything Meal Planning and Recipes!

Re: Everything Meal Planning and Recipes!

• Options
    I second the love for the church cookbooks! I too have quite a few from my grand and great grandmothers. I also have some of their old cookbooks with the handwritten notes. I adore when I come across an old piece of paper with a handwritten recipe on it!
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Anyone have any nice (and easy ;) ) Halloween themed recipes they'd like to share? Preferably nut free? I'm going to a party with children and adults and want to bring something nice! I'll check Pinterest etc. but if you have something to share, I'd love to check it out!!! :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Kale and blackeye pea soup.

One bunch of kale
    2 cans or one bag of Blackeye peas
    1 Red onion
    4/5 carrots
    3 potatoes
    4 celery stalks
    Two cans of diced tomatoes
    Two cups of veggie broth
    4 cups of water
    Salt and pepper

Wash and chop all veggies

Add everything to a big pot and boil for an hour or more until desired tenderness.

Best soup for no meat mondays!

• Options
    croupy kid has kept me from my grocery trip. i need to see if i can scavenge up enough ingredients to make something in this thread! that or it's going to be frozen pizza tonight, which doesn't sound yummy at all :P

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    what is for din tonight, guys? croupy baby is getting better and i think i may venture us out to the store. tempt me with your delicious ideas :)

Autism mama! 
  • Options
    We're having apple pie pork chops. It sounds like such a weird combination, but is seriously delicious (and seriously easy).

As many pork chops as you want in an oven safe dish.
    Cover pork chops with a can of apple pie filling.
    Pour a box of stuffing over the top.

Cook at 400* for 40 min. 
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • Options
    Sorry, @oceanchild, we went out for pizza! BUT, I did make this on Sunday to heat up this week, though I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouchsafe for whether it's delicious (it did smell really good, though). 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    oh my gosh @mrspepper05 THAT IS IT! my husband loves porkchops and i never make them bc i hate browning them (PITA splashing grease!) did you brown them first?

Autism mama! 
  • Options
    @oceanchild - nope. I literally throw them in the pan and call it good. 
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • Options
    Making this for dinners next week, it's AWESOME. Ignore the "skinny" part, things with that label usually suck, but this doesn't. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    good grief that looks great! i love mediterranean flavors!

Autism mama! 
  • Options
    Me too, @oceanchild! It's great because it has veggies (though they are all pickled, mwah ha ha!) to make me feel healthy, and pasta to make me feel happy. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
  • Options
    I was looking everywhere for this yesterday to bump it and got sidetracked by other threads LOL

Autism mama! 
  • Options
    THANKS!!!

Has anyone tried Venison stew or venison tips and noodles? I have quite a few packs of last years venison that needs to be used up before it gets lost within this years packs. Also any and all venison recipes are welcome :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I've tried (and enjoyed) it from others but never made it. But a girl I worked with always made venison jerky that was so so good.

Autism mama! 
  • Options
    @PinkSunglasses16 I make venison stew instead of beef stew all the time! I just get a beef stew seasoning packet and follow the directions but sub in the venison and add some red wine (just sub some for the water). The key is just let it simmer for a long time, I've left it as long as 2hrs. I also make it in the crockpot as a roast, same way as beef- just make sure you add a lot of olive oil or a stick of butter because it's much leaner. This recipie is also one of my favorite things I've ever made- https://www.myrecipes.com/m/recipe/rosemary-salt-crusted-venison-with-cherry-cabernet-sauce

March 2016 Moms: January Siggy Challenge "Pregnancy Problems"
  • Options
    Resurrecting this very dead thread. I am having a small "Friendsgiving" this Saturday and am planning on making a beef tenderloin, since I have a couple just sitting in my deep freeze. However, I've never made one. Does anyone have any tried and true ways to prepare one? If not I'll just grab a recipe online. Bon Appetite!

• Options
    THANKS!!!

Has anyone tried Venison stew or venison tips and noodles? I have quite a few packs of last years venison that needs to be used up before it gets lost within this years packs. Also any and all venison recipes are welcome :)
    My grandma used to bread and fry them and call them "venison fingers" we LOVED them. Here's a great stroganoff recipe for venison from Jamie Oliver: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/game-recipes/wild-mushroom-and-venison-stroganoff-for-two-lucky-people/

It's excellent. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @JessKo08 How are you wanting to cook it (grill, roast, stew, bake)?
  • Options
    @kynbar5 roast or bake preferably!

• Options
    @kynbar5 thanks so much!!

• Options
    @JessKo08 no problem. Also, those are pretty easy to tweak to how you want them. More often than not I'll take 2 of my favorite recipes and kind of combine/take away ingredients to make it exactly what we want. :)
  • Options
    I've been doing mostly good keeping a plan and trying some of the stuff you guys shared!
    Also, just bought my thanksgiving turkey today! I've always bought a fresh bird closer to the day, but the frozen ones were on sale. It's 20lbs - how long do you think it will need to defrost? I'm so worried it will still be frozen inside.

Autism mama! 
  • Options
    cmerriburycmerribury member
    edited November 2015
    @oceanchild, you can always take it out the evening before and put it in a sink full of cold water (like, really cold) and then change that water out to make it cold again before bed...it should be perfectly thawed the next morning. That reminds me, I need to figure out where/when I'm picking up my bird this year!

ETA, if you're really nervous it will still be frozen, do it one day in advance and then keep in the fridge. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

I've been doing mostly good keeping a plan and trying some of the stuff you guys shared!
    Also, just bought my thanksgiving turkey today! I've always bought a fresh bird closer to the day, but the frozen ones were on sale. It's 20lbs - how long do you think it will need to defrost? I'm so worried it will still be frozen inside.

I don't cook a turkey but I know my mom moves her's from the freezer to the fridge like 4-5 days ahead of time and it's always thawed by then. :)
  • Options
    My bird is also 20lbs and i plan on moving mine from the freezer to the fridge this Sunday.

@jessko08 I made venison stew last sunday and it was AMAZING. DH was like why have you never made this before?!?

I made this Monday w/o the broccolli and added in a splash of milk to make it more creamy. Delicious!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Made this last week: https://www.shutterbean.com/2011/pasta-fagioli-soup/ It was sooooo good, I would definitely consider doubling it next time. DH does not like the texture of tomatoes, so I pureed most of them before adding. We both liked it better a day or two after I made it . . . I'm going to try freezing it next time and see how it does. 
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So on the subject of birds. I'm making mine in a roaster, but i don't know what to do with it as far as seasoning, how much water, when do i turn it on and how long do i need to cook a 20lb turkey etc. HELP ME!!!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @PinkSunglasses16 idk anything about roasters, but I always put mine in a bag in a roasting pan in the oven. I just do a mix of seasonings, like poultry seasoning, some cream of tarter (someone told me to add that) some sage, I think I put some cavendars' Greek in there once?, can't remember what else - I just wing it. And I put them in a Baggie and mix them up. I shove butter pats all up between the skin and meat wherever I can, and I do some EVOO on the outside and rub my herbs on. I don't stuff; we just have stuffing on the side.
    I'm sure one of the better chefs in our group have better ideas and techniques!

Autism mama! 
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    @occeanchild thanks. i love the part were you shove the butter all up in there, lol. I feel so much pressure to make this amazing turkey since its the main dish (and the only meat we are having). So. much. pressure.

Edited: Just realized we are due date buddies

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    kynbar5kynbar5 member
    edited November 2015
    @oceanchild gave some great tips. @PinkSunglasses16 if you don't put stuffing it the bird you can always put a mix of onion, garlic, carrot and herbs in it. It can all just be quartered up, there's no need to finely chop it or anything. It just helps with seasoning from the inside. Also, with the butter between the skin and meat- if you soften the butter and add some seasonings to it (garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, whatever you like really) and then rub it in there it will also help with flavoring. On the outside you can do oil or the butter mix. The turkey is so customizable :)
    ETA- if you're worried about dryness, try getting one of those bags that you cook the turkey in. My mom has always used them and everyone seems to love it. :)
  • Options
    Oooo putting the seasonings in the butter makes sense. I am not making the stuffing so i will do onions and garlic inside. 

Thanks for the help!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Oh yeah! Stuff in the butter! I love the Kerrygold butter that already has the garlic and herbs in it too! I'll prob use that, bc one less step. My first time I felt so much pressure! This is my 3rd or 4th turkey though so I'm not as anxious about it. And it's just my little fam so they aren't judging. And the Reynolds oven bags are lifesavers - it comes out perfectly. They have instructions with the bags (like add a tblspn of flour and shake). I usually go with an average between the oven bag's bake time suggestion and the suggestion that comes with the turkey. The bag and a Reynolds disposable roasting pan make it so easy though. I mean, if *I* can do it – I'm like the biggest kitchen klutz ever. I can ruin chef boyardee! :sweat_smile:

Autism mama! 
  • Options
    You guys are making me so hungry.  Thanksgiving can't come soon enough!!
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • Options
    ClaireBear90ClaireBear90 member
    edited November 2015
    @PinkSunglasses16 this has been my method of roasting a turkey for the past three years: https://www.simplebites.net/how-to-roast-a-turkey/ It is wonderfully simple, delicious, and hasn't let me down!

This year I'm risking it all and trying brining because I can't leave a good thing alone apparently. :D But if it all fails miserably, that's the method I'll be going back to! It's great.

ETA: @oceanchild and @kynbar5 I'm curious about oven bags. Never used one. I'd be worried they'd have more of a braising effect than a roasting effect... I love crispy skin! How does the skin turn out?
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @ClaireBear90 Honestly I'm not positive as I don't eat the turkey (I like ham better) but I'm not sure that it does get really crispy.
  • Options