Options

Pronunciation question

kayway85kayway85 member
edited September 2015 in Baby Names
How do you pronounce the name Carys?

Pronunciation question 148 votes

Care-iss (rhymes with Paris)
84% 125 votes
Ka- Riss (harder ca sound similar to Cat)
8% 13 votes
Something else
6% 10 votes

Re: Pronunciation question

• Options
    Catherine Zeta-Jones' daughter with Michael Douglas has this name. It has stumped me for years, but I assume the top answer is correct?
  • Options
    I've always said it as Care-iss

Image result for bobs burger gifs

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadeaa27518d817eb3a350c501028155427jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload6bbb16d010206d10646648f568faa060jpg

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Care-iss. Which to me doesn't rhyme with Paris.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've always heard it like Paris. I really like the name but DH isn't feeling it. :(

• Options
    Carys is Welsh, the correct pronunciation is Ka-riss. I live in Scotland and used to work with a girl called Carys who uses this pronunciation.
  • Options
    I knew a Welsh Carys (we all pronounced as Paris), and she never corrected us. However, the cat way is probably correct...Americans are going to pronounce it like Paris.

• Options
    I'm a little confused.  I pronounce it Ka-Riss, which rhymes with Paris.  Care-iss to me has an -air sound.
  • Options

I'm a little confused.  I pronounce it Ka-Riss, which rhymes with Paris.  Care-iss to me has an -air sound.

Yep, same Ka-Riss rhymes with Paris and care-iss sounds... Weird!
  • Options

I see what you're saying. It's more like pear-iss than Paris.
  • Options
    I'm completely confused by the confusion. Haha. Care-is, pear-is, Paris. All sound the same to me. I know a Carys and she pronounces it like "care-is" which to me rhymes with Paris. LoL
  • Options

I'm completely confused by the confusion. Haha. Care-is, pear-is, Paris. All sound the same to me. I know a Carys and she pronounces it like "care-is" which to me rhymes with Paris. LoL

Same here.
  • Options
    The first or perhaps the second. I really like this name.
  • Options
    The confusion about Paris is to those of us who speak French as a first or early second language. When I first heard the capital of France, it was pronounced sort of like "Pah-rhee" if you can write french phonetically in English. :) I mean i realize that Paris is pronounced "pare-iss" and since the miserable spawn of the whole "Paris Hilton" industry, I've started actually seeing the word and hearing this pronunciation in my head. But honestly, my knee jerk thought when I see Paris is the french pronunciation first, english second since the French pronunciation was my first exposure to it.
  • Options
    I think the confusion is more down to accent. I had a conversation about this with my students the other day. I pronounce Paris with a short 'ah' sound but they pronounced it with an 'air' sound. So to me and people with similar accent par and pair are two different sounds.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my NYC accent, these options don't make sense. :)
  • Options
    I'm from Ohio, one of the places with what is considered a "neutral" accent. You know, where they find the people who record their voices for machines and whatnot because everybody in the U.S understands them. I would pronounce Carys as Care-iss, which, as I say it, also rhymes with Paris which I say as "Pair-iss". The pronunciation of this name will likely vary so greatly by region. Go with the one common in your area :)
  • Options
    Ca-riss (like cat) Pa-ris (like Pat). That's how my NJ accent says it. I also have the same issue with Erin (which is not pronounced the same as Aaron) and Carrie (which is not the same as Kerry)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers