Babies on the Brain
Options

Stabby Saturday

lovearoolovearoo member
edited September 2015 in Babies on the Brain
Let's hear it ladies, what has you stabby today?
I was completely stabby today when I wore a pair of Under Armour boy shorts under my pants.... I had to get my brakes and rotors replaced and that meant I was going to walk to Starbucks. Well every 5 minutes of walking I had to duck into a bathroom somewhere and pull them up!!!! They kept sliding down under my butt and trying to take my pants with them... SO mad!
Then I went to kill some time at a burger king but to use the bathroom you had to buy something. So I ordered something gross. Then I went to use the bathroom and there was a *person* coming out down the hallway and I asked them to hold the door for me so I wouldn't have to go back and get the code but they just watched it close on me and said they "just washed their hands". Oh really? So were you planning on not touching that tray of food you just ordered? Because I'm pretty sure there's germs on that too. :-w

Eta: removed any and all descriptive words regarding people

Re: Stabby Saturday

• Options
    als1982als1982 member
    edited September 2015
    lovearoo said:

Let's hear it ladies, what has you stabby today?
    I was completely stabby today when I wore a pair of Under Armour boy shorts under my pants.... I had to get my brakes and rotors replaced and that meant I was going to walk to Starbucks. Well every 5 minutes of walking I had to duck into a bathroom somewhere and pull them up!!!! They kept sliding down under my butt and trying to take my pants with them... SO mad!
    Then I went to kill some time at a burger king but to use the bathroom you had to buy something. So I ordered something gross. Then I went to use the bathroom and there was a young Muslim woman coming out down the hallway and I asked her to hold the door for me so I wouldn't have to go back and get the code but she just watched it close on me and said she "just washed her hands". Oh really? So were you planning on not touching that tray of food you just ordered? Because I'm pretty sure there's germs on that too. :-w

I get that it *may* have been a dick move, BUT what does her being Muslim have to do with it? I'm not sure why that is even relevant. Would you have pointed it out if she were white, Jewish, Asian or black?
  • Options
    Hmmm well I usually use some sort of descriptor when talking about someone, should I edit it? Yes, I've said things like younger blonde woman, elderly black woman, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That sounds frustrating, but I agree with als1982, what does her being muslim have to do with the story? I don't see how her religious affiliation is related to her not being courteous to hold the door open.
  • Options
    I never said her appearance had anything to do with her behavior. I always describe people I'm talking about. Apparently that's taboo. I removed any and all descriptive words and will from here on out refer to people as "they/them".
  • Options
    bmo88bmo88 member
    edited September 2015
    lovearoo: I understand you probably didn't mean for it to come across that way, but I think that given how islamaphobic the US has become over the years, it's hard to determine (especially online) what the intentions are behind people's words.

In regard to your original post: my day has been fairly mundane and uneventful, but yesterday, I was pretty irked. I typed up an entire document (5 pages) and had been so focused for two hours I didn't hit save. For some reason, MS Word had an error and closed out. Auto save didn't work and I had to spend more time re-writing the dang document. It was not a good day at work.
  • Options
    lovearoo said:

I never said her appearance had anything to do with her behavior. I always describe people I'm talking about. Apparently that's taboo. I removed any and all descriptive words and will from here on out refer to people as "they/them".

But you didn't reference her appearance, you referenced her religious affiliation.
  • Options
    als1982 said:

lovearoo said:

But you didn't reference her appearance, you referenced her religious affiliation.
    Would you rather I said she had a scarf on her head? THAT sounds racist. I couldn't tell her race, but I still found a way to describe her. If there was a Catholic nun there I would have described her as Catholic because it would be obvious her religious affiliation.
    There are lots of Muslims in my neighborhood. My massage therapist is Muslim. If you're trying to insinuate her having the appearance of a Muslim woman = her being rude then you are the one with a problem, not I. I don't know when describing someone's ethnicity/religious affiliation/gender became taboo. Describing someone does NOT make you racist or "Islamaphobic". Nowhere did I ever say a person's appearance dictates their behavior.
  • Options
    bmo88 said:

lovearoo: I understand you probably didn't mean for it to across that way, I think that given how islamaphobic the US have become over the years, it's hard to determine (especially online) what the intentions are behind people's words.

In regard to your original post: my day has been fairly mundane and uneventful, but yesterday, I was pretty irked. I typed up an entire document (5 pages) and had been so focused for two hours I didn't hit save. For some reason, MS Word had an error and closed out. Auto save didn't work and I had to spend more re-writing the dang document. It was not a good day at work.
    Ugh that's terrible! I think we've all had that happen at some point...