July 2015 Moms
Options

Being a surrogate

Have you ladies thought of being a surrogate? I've caught myself thinking about it a lot lately. It can give me a chance to stay home with my boys till atleast my 4 year old starts school and my youngest boy is 11 weeks. Has anybody on here been a surrogate before what are the qualifications?

Re: Being a surrogate

• Options
    I thought abt it before this pregnancy. My first was so easy. This one wasn't. 
  • Options
    I've thought about it but don't want to take the risk having someone else's baby when I have a little one that depends on me. I bled out after LO was delivered, but they were able to get it under control rather quickly. I've seen some terrible things happen to new moms because I'm an ICU nurse, and although it's rare, it's not worth it to me.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have thought about and might actually look deeper into it when I'm no longer nursing. I was reading an article about it that said you couldn't be a surrogate while breastfeeding. Like you, I could stay home with my boys if I did it.
  • Options
    I have always thought if someone asked, I would. After this pregnancy, I would definitely be willing. I had an easy pregnancy and delivery. DH however, is super against it, more from the "what if something were to happen to you" standpoint.
  • Options
    No but years ago I thought of donating eggs…
  • Options
    @kristyn831 I read up on it you can only be a surrogate 6 months after a c section and 3 months after regular I had a c section and I'm planning to stop breastfeeding regardless at around 6 months plus I've had pretty regular pregnancies the only thing is I gain a lot of weight 60 with the first and 50 with this one and my boys were born big too 10.8 #1 and #2 was 9.2 but that shouldn't be a problem since the baby isn't mine. There's still a lot to think about but atleast I have the support of my partner
  • Options
    I've thought about it and think that I would definitely do it but hubby is against it. :(
  • Options
    I think it's a lovely thing to do there's so many who can't have children .. I would make sure your family is complete before doing it tho, each pregnacy is different and there's no guarantee you won't have a complicated pregnancy or delivery ..it would be awful if by helping someone else you lost out on the chance to have anymore children.
  • Options
    Its a beautiful thing but in all honesty I couldn't do it. Just because I bond with my baby while she was growing inside me.. I wouldn't be able to give the baby away after a long 9 months of bonding. :(
  • Options
    There's some surrogacy article on FB about how the girl's 60yr old mother was a surrogate for her and her husband. And the comments were atrocious, I can't believe some people are so effing stupid, saying how gross it was that the husband had sex with the grandma and how the baby is inbred because it's gonna be the girl's sibling and not actually her child. Like, seriously, is this the result of a failing educational system or what?

I'd be a surrogate for my sister or a close friend but beyond that probably not...they'd have to pay me a lot of money (I gained a lot of weight and didn't particularly enjoy being pregnant) but I'd feel guilty taking the money soooo prolly no.
  • Options
    Because of my labor complications and going through an un planned, traumatic c section, there would be no way I would carry someone else's baby. I have second thoughts on how many more children I want because I am scared of another bad labor.
  • Options
    Hi!
    The first place to start I think is to do some research into what it takes to be a surrogate, more the mental than the physical. Talking to others who have been through the process is a great idea. I have met and talked with a few woman who have been surrogates and they have such promising things to say! I think the next step is to find a company you want to work with. I am working with conceivabilities,
    https://www.conceiveabilities.com
    They have helped make the process so far smooth and pain free, finding a company that wants to make the process as smooth for you and the IPs as well is very important. Also working with people who are there to help you along the way is great too!
    Good luck on your journey!
    Sara