1st Trimester

Lifting Weights While Pregnant

Hi,
Just wondering what people's thoughts were on lifting weights while pregnant? I'm about 6 weeks along and when I found out my doctor told me to continue on with my life as I had before I found out. I used to lift weights probably 4 times a week and wanted to continue but I also don't want to jeopardize the babes. I've taken to lifting still but barely any weight which isn't really doing much. Just wondering what other mom's to be think about this!
Thanks,
A

Re: Lifting Weights While Pregnant

• I was told the same to keep on lifting/exercising like you are used to but listen to your body once you're tired you can't keep pushing yourself like you would before. If you worked out for 1 hour do it for only 40mins now.So no burnouts :-)
  • I lift weights in orange theory and have just scaled back so I am not lifting anything too heavy. Plus I get so out of breath so quick now and I've been so exhausted its hard enough to get there much less lift or run like I was before. I do what I can and don't feel bad about it. Just don't overdue it and you will be fine.
  • Loading the player...

• Lifting weights while pregnant sounds really dangerous. The lactic acid build up could hurt your baby. I wouldn't do it. I'd stick to easy stuff like prancersizing and walking around the block. 

OMG how do you get acid in your body? I only eat organic.

....oh my word. Really? It's naturally produced by your muscles after any kind of exertion. Doesn't matter what you eat, everyone has acid in their bodies (hence your ability to move and digest food)
  • Lifting weights while pregnant sounds really dangerous. The lactic acid build up could hurt your baby. I wouldn't do it. I'd stick to easy stuff like prancersizing and walking around the block. 
    Is this a serious question?  I feel like I'm beginning to not be able to tell the difference between sarcasm and...well....

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Btw, this MIGHT come as a shock, but your stomach is also full of acid.  I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Ehhh, nevermind.  Clearly MUD.  Lots of these usernames are clearly just people trolling.  All profiles created on the same day...imagine that.  SEW FUNNEH.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Hahaha uhhh yeah...I am well aware that lactic acid and stomach acid are completely different. ;)  My response was to "OMG how do you get acid in your body? I only eat organic."  This is reading comprehension.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

I lifted until about 20 weeks along. Due to my crazy fatigue in the first tri I just lowered my weights out of fear I was going to drop the barbell on my face/feet. Just listen to your body - when you need to stop, your body will let you know. Depending on what kind of lifting you're talking about, I'd just ask your OB what exercises you should stop doing past a certain point. For example at 8 weeks I was told no running outside or on a treadmill due to fears of aggravating a pre-existing knee injury.
  • anaissgranaissgr member
    edited September 2015
    I'd listen to my doctor as he has the doctor degree. You will find many woman telling you otherwise who have "google degrees" ... who are you going to trust? My doctor told me exactly the same.. carry on with your life. Congratulations for your pregnancy
  • If you lifted and worked out before, u can continue to do it. I have been going to the gym 6 days a week for the past 2 years and am now pregnant with my second child and I was worried about the same thing. I've asked my dr this question and she said I might want to lift a little less weight than I used to but I can still squat, deadlift, stairmaster etc. Just nothing that might throw u off balance, and no training for anything. The common answer is always listen to your body.... You will know if you're doing too much :)
  • My dr is pretty lax, and he said no weight lifting (machine or free weights) but I can continue other exercise as normal.
  • Thanks! I've kept up running and did some research and it looks like ab exercises and deep squats are def frowned upon. It's kind of a joke I'm just lifting 5pounders right now or benching the bar if anything. I'm thinking of just cancelling my membership till after the baby b/c I can def do that at home.
  • Thank you, glad I'm not alone in this confusion! My running hasn't been terrible but I think I've added a minute to my mile. I have to keep reminding myself not to push it, my body no longer belongs to me, ha!
  • I'm six weeks pregnant too and this is what I'm going for below. This model exercised all through her pregnancy and gave birth to a healthy 8.5lbs baby boy. It is healthy to stay fit and not overdo it. Follow your doc's advice and listen to your body.
  • There's a lot of benefits for exercising while pregnant so it kind of boggles my mind when a doctor would tell you to stop, unless it's a health precaution for that certain individual.

I lifted weights 4-5 days a week prior to being pregnant, and never planned on cutting back on my weight but it just sort of happened when I realized how tired I was getting so fast! So I cut it back just a little lighter on my weak days, then on days that I'm feeling a little energized or stronger I stick to my original weight. I am 16 weeks now and I'm feeling fine and baby is doing great!

I know most ab exercises are off limits as far as crunches and stuff, but if you research online you'll see how important core exercises are for an easier labor.. I have a core workout pinned just for pregnant women on Pinterest that I do! No lying-on-the-back workouts.
  • nlwz123 said:

Lifting weights while pregnant sounds really dangerous. The lactic acid build up could hurt your baby. I wouldn't do it. I'd stick to easy stuff like prancersizing and walking around the block. 

Is this a serious question?  I feel like I'm beginning to not be able to tell the difference between sarcasm and...well....

How come I can't see the original comment from liveluvlaf . Is there a glitch or has the comment been deleted. This is the second time I've noticed this happening .

Also .... smh
  • I have been doing Body Pump with some pretty serious weights.  When I went to my 1st trimester class at the hospital, the nurse told me that we could still lift, but should limit to no more than 5 or 10 pounds.  (Why even bother at that point?)  I talked to my trainer at the gym, and she said I might want to lighten up or take breaks, but no need to majorly scale back.  My doctor told me I could continue doing whatever I was doing before (EXCEPT SEX, since I'm on "pelvic rest" due to earlier bleeding and cramping).  Here's a shortened version of what my trainer gave me about modifications for bodypump:

• kimey1kimey1 member
    edited September 2015
    Lulucooks said:

Lifting weights while pregnant sounds really dangerous. The lactic acid build up could hurt your baby. I wouldn't do it. I'd stick to easy stuff like prancersizing and walking around the block. 

Prancercizing.....

Omg - that GIF is my colleague from grad school! Hehe. A scene from her comic web series XD

Anywho I was also advised by my doc to avoid carrying/lifting things over 20lbs so I'd consult with your doctor re: your pre-pregnancy routines and what he/she thinks the limit would be during your pregnancy.
  • jonesl12 said:
    How come I can't see the original comment from liveluvlaf . Is there a glitch or has the comment been deleted. This is the second time I've noticed this happening . Also .... smh
    I'm assuming because they are AEs that are trolling and bumpadmin caught notice.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016