1st Trimester

breastfeeding and trying to get pregnant

Just wondering if anyone has successfully gotten pregnant while breastfeeding; have been trying for about two months and my LO is about eight months; just wanted to know how it went for others or if they ended up having to wean off breastmilk; tia

Re: breastfeeding and trying to get pregnant

• I am still breastfeeding and currently 6 weeks pregnant. We were not trying so very possible
  • sorry if this is too personal but were you having normal menstrual cycles?
  • Loading the player...
  • I got pregnant while breastfeeding. My cycles have never been normal. It is possible. :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • You can if you started getting AF already. If you are temping and charting you'll have a much better idea of your cycles. If you haven't started getting AF yet you can cut back on breastfeeding but just pumping less often, that way it might kick start a period without having to take your LO off breastmilk. This is all from my research as I am only pregnant with my first so I don't have personal experience.
  • @amtheut2 no I have only had two weird ones since she has been born!
  • I believe that I had to stop breastfeeding in order to get pregnant. I had AF back, I was temping so I know I was ovulating, and we were having well-timed intercourse for 5 months without success. I ultimately decided to wean DD (at 13 months) and got pregnant the next month. Could very well be a coincidence, but that is my 2 cents.
    Me: 35   DH: 35
    Married: 5-16-2009
    Charlotte Elaine 5-27-2014
    Anna Josephine 3-29-2016
    Baby #3 EDD 3-3-2018

My Chart 
  • I got my period back at 9 months pp (after night weaning) and became pregnant at 14mos pp. I had very irratic periods and was still nursing about 4x per day.
  • Got pregnant with my TWINS while EBF my oldest. Also got pregnant while EBF my youngest (it was a blighted ovum but got pregnant)...
    Was definitely not trying To get pregnant at all either of those Times.... it for sure can happen
  • I have no personal experience as this is my first pregnancy, but two of my sisters got pregnant while BF. My best friend did have to wean before she could get pregnant again, but only because even when she was BF less, her AF didnt come back. Both my sisters cycles were irregular (due to still BF i guess) but they still managed it. Hope this is somewhat helpful!
  • I'm 17 weeks pregnant and still bfing my 15 month old!