Trouble TTC
Options

Health Insurance Does Not Cover Fertility Testing or Treatment

Hi ladies,

Just wondering what options might be out there for a type A person in my predicament! DH and I own a business together and have individual health policies which precludes us from obtaining one that covers anything fertility.  We found a local RE running a special- $650 for testing (HSG, Day 3 labs & Semen analysis).  Currently I am paying cash for weekly acupuncture and chinese herbs.  My acupuncturist has suggested clomid, but after calling around on pricing it is much more affordable for me to pay cash to see my est. OB-GYN and hope that she can appropriately monitor me on the Clomid. 

I have PCOS sympotms and my acupuncturist felt my FSH was too high per my labs. Even though I have the fancy Clear Blue ovulation monitor I am starting to question whether I am actually ovulating after reading messages on this board regarding surges in the setting of PCOS.  What other things do you ladies without insurance do to take control of this journey as best you can? Thanks in advance!
TTC since May 2013
Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion

Re: Health Insurance Does Not Cover Fertility Testing or Treatment

• Options
    You can try temping to confirm ovulation, along with your OPK's.    What did the RE recommend?

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Options
    Ok, is temping a little more accurate? Just ordered a BB thermometer.  My ob-gyn had recommended the testing and said she should read the results for us.  Her nurse called and said "everything's normal." When I established with the acupuntruist she also read the test results and said that my FSH was too high and she believed I was on the mild side of the PCOS spectrum.  I have been told in the past that I possibly have this by other doctors as well.
    TTC since May 2013
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    An OPK test measures a hormone called LH that is released just before ovulation so an OPK test will tell you that you could ovulate in the next 24-48 hours. After ovulation you release a hormone called progesterone that raises your basal body temperature so Temping is the way to confirm that ovulation did take place.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    GoldenKeysGoldenKeys admin
    edited September 2015

Ok, is temping a little more accurate? Just ordered a BB thermometer.  My ob-gyn had recommended the testing and said she should read the results for us.  Her nurse called and said "everything's normal." When I established with the acupuntruist she also read the test results and said that my FSH was too high and she believed I was on the mild side of the PCOS spectrum.  I have been told in the past that I possibly have this by other doctors as well.

I've seen enough 'less than competent' infertility  treatment from OBGYNS than I care to admit. It's not their fault, infertility is not their specialty. Pregnancy and maintenance care is. My OB ordered day 21 Estrogen to 'see if I ovulated'. Um, yeah. I definitely didn't use him for treatment, and he is a very well respected OB and GYN surgeon. What was your FSH? Did your ultrasound show a lot of follicles? You should get a copy of your labs and at least get a consult from an RE. It shouldn't cost that much just for that...

• Options
    Ok, I really appreciate your advice on paying for a consult. My FSH was 7.46 and my LH was 11.2. Actually maybe she said my LH was too high now that I think about it- she wanted the FSH higher than the LH I think? I had 22 total follicles <10mm.  I just read your signature. I am really sorry for your loss!
    TTC since May 2013
  • Options
    Ok, I really appreciate your advice on paying for a consult. My FSH was 7.46 and my LH was 11.2. Actually maybe she said my LH was too high now that I think about it- she wanted the FSH higher than the LH I think? I had 22 total follicles <10mm.  I just read your signature. I am really sorry for your loss!
    Thanks...  yeah your FSH seems okay to me.   Anything below 8 is consided good, meaning you'll have a good response to stimulation.  If your day 3 estrogen is really high (like over 80)  along with that FSH, that would be more concerning.

People who have PCOS have a lot of eggs which can create a problem of too many in play or the creation of even more cysts.  If your OB can at least give you an ultrasound and bloodwork around Day 9 it might not be a bad idea to proceed to save costs?

• Options
    So, I prepared this when I first saw your post then got distracted at work:

I'm definitely Type A and paying everything OOP. If you can't afford to see an RE at this time or are hesitant to make the step financially, I would purchase a BBT thermometer and download the fertility friend app. Tracking your basal body temperature is the only way to confirm if and when you O. Your doctor may be able to confirm O, but temping is the cheaper alternative. OPKs are not always accurate especially if you have PCOS. For insurance purposes, monitoring through an OB should not be any cheaper. For insurance coding, it's either done for fertility purposes or not. The provider does not dictate whether it is covered. I specifically asked my OB and RE this question and both had the same response.

Surprisingly, my insurance covered a few of my initial tests through my RE since I a had suspected ovulatory disfunction and it could be coded for that reason. Based on your history, your RE may come to the same conclusion. With suspected PCOS and however that doctor may have interpreted your FSH level, it is possible your insurance would cover a "Clomid Challenge" cycle. I don't believe going through your OB, if properly monitored, will save you any money. I stuck with my OB for $ purposes and wasn't monitored. Turns out, I just don't respond any better to Clomid than my natural cycle and Clomid thins my lining. I actually wound up just reducing my chances for pregnancy 2 cycles with my OB and I guess technically one monitored with my RE.

If I were you, I would call an RE office (probably the one that did your initial testing) and see of you can set up an appointment with a financial representative. Most clinics give discounts or bundled monitoring packages for out of pocket patients. One of my friends in a different state (TN) can pay cash and they take off an additional 3% for what would have otherwise been the fee charged to the clinic from the credit card company. Mine doesn't do that, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Yes, it gets expensive, but it hasn't been as expensive as I initially anticipated. And, you can go at your own pace; your months of treatment and overall decision-making is yours. I would be lying if I told you paying OOP hasn't added additional stress and hasn't made me feel limited in my future options. I try to look on the bright side, though, that I will receive closure on this chapter of my life and will know when to stop. I'll either have a baby or know I tried all I could within the limits DH and I set before seeing an RE. We're both open to adoption, so now we will now when to close the infertility door and open the adoption one, if needed.

So, I guess that's another tip. I would set a limit money-wise before seeing an RE. Or, maybe discuss what you two are willing to do. Would IVF be an option? How many IUIs would you be willing to do? Discussing all of it upfront may help in the long run. It's overwhelming, but I think it's helped us with our process and relationship. I will be honest with you, though, neither of us wanted to close the door on IVF but we were thinking we probably wouldn't do it. After finding out injects would be my only medical help early on and finding out an IUI wouldn't really help, we were able to reassess our finances and what we were willing to do. We didn't spend as much as we would have expected at this stage since certain treatments were no longer options. Initially we thought, okay, one round injects, then IVF. Injects turned out being about 1/2 the expected costs, so we are doing one more round injects then IVF.

Good luck and I really don't think you will regret moving on to an RE. I don't know anyone who does regret that decision. I only know ones who regret not seeing one sooner.
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    Depending on where you live research studies may be available. Never hurts to check on it. Here is a link for some.
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=infertility+AND+NICHD
  • Options
    Wow I am overwhelmed by all the detailed responses and advice. Thank you ladies!
    TTC since May 2013
  • Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS also, and put on metformin to help regulate my cycle. I did one round of clomid, but I read in a medical journal that clomid is less effective for people with PCOS than taking metformin and letrezole/femera. Here is the article I read: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4163261/

As for the costs, search near and far. I got lucky with my insurance, but even though they "cover" fertility stuff, I'm still paying a pretty penny.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Read Taking Charge of Your Fertility. that book gave me a great understanding of my body and how it works, and explains very well how temping works, why OPKs shouldn't be relied on alone, etc.
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I appreciate the article and will definitely read that book.
    TTC since May 2013
  • Options
    How did everyone come up with the money for all these cycles of iui or ivf? We make enough money to live comfortably and could easily afford to take care of a child, but we do not have all this extra disposable income to set aside. I know most of you pay oop, so I wanted to see if you have ideas on adjusting your budget to help save up.

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We've been very good about saving money since we have been married. My husband is extremely frugal, so that helps ALOT. I seriously had to twist his arm to buy new boxers--his had so many holes in them I actually wondered if one pair had a poop hole! We eat in all the time and ensure we consume all leftovers, so we arent really wa sting mone on food. We rarely go out to bars anymore and try to entertain ourselves in free ways. Also, I barely ever buy new clothes anymore. Mainly, I'm hesitant to purchase anything cause I'm desparetly hoping to be pregnant, but it still helps save money. Luckily, I paid off my car note the month before our initial consultation, so that honestly helped alot. That money goes straight to the baby fund along with all extra money from raises or bonuses. I'm planning on actually starting a side business and will use any income from that for IVF savings. My hobby is sewing, though I haven't done anything more than pillows in years, so I want to start a baby-toddler clothing line. People in New Orleans are downright obsessed with anything New Orleans, and I've designed a few outfits, diaper covers, etc that fall right into that category. Hoping it'll help me pass some time and allow me more baby-making money!!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    We were doing so great at paying off our credit card and putting money in savings. Well, we moved and needed furniture, I had an unexpected dental bill of $1500, and "life" has just happened a lot lately. So one credit card has a balance again but we have managed to still keep a little in savings. We moved to be closer to family and our donor and got a bigger place in hopes of having a baby, so that is also why it's harder to put money back with a higher rent. Ok, I am motivated! I am going to sit down tonight and really look at bills and just start moving money to savings so we won't "think we have it". Any other ideas of how you pay or save, will surely help all of us! :)

RE DX for me: Anovulatory cycles/Mild PCOS  RE DX for DW: Endometrioma on left Ovary.
    Reciprocal Ivf Feb 2016. DW eggs and I am carrying. EDD: 10/27/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have $200/month that goes into my HSA. We don't even miss that money because we never had it before! You could do the same sigh savings - have it come out of your paycheck so you never even see it.

We grocery shop every few days, just for what we need for the next meal(s). We waste so much less food than we used to when we did shopping once every week or two!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Options

I contribute 6.5% into an account. It comes right off my paycheck and I'm pretty lucky as my work matches my contribution into the account every pay period.

I agree with @AL_TwinCities, if it comes right off your check, you'll miss it less. We also have automatic withdrawls from our joint account every month and the money goes into a savings account.

I have a small business on the side (baking and decorating cakes and cupcakes for people) and that provides 90% of our spending money every month so that helps a lot.  

Also I am married to an accountant so we have a budget for EVERYTHING. Like others, we eat in a lot. I plan an entire week of meals and shop for only the ingredients needed. There are a few websites in Canada that will send me coupons in the mail for a lot of buy one get one free deals so that helps.

Me: 30 DH: 33

Married: February 15, 2013

TCC: October 2013

MFI- low count/morphology

May / June 2016- Monitored cycle and TI- BFN

June / July 2016- Gonal-F + IUI #1- BFN

August 2016- Gonal-F + IUI #2-