July 2015 Moms
Options

Gentian violet

So baby and I have thrush. It feels like my nipples are on fire. The doc gave us this super purple gentian violet. I used it on LO last night and I hate it. It turns los mouth so dark and the since I have to put it on my nipples as well he gets it all over his lip and chin. He looks like he has a purple beard.

Any tips on minimizing the facial staining? He has pics on Sunday with his cousins. It's a print of the grandkids that we are giving to our parents for xmas and I don't want my LO looking funny.

Re: Gentian violet

• Options
    That is the problem with that stuff, is the bad staining that it causes. Although I've heard that it's very effective of getting rid of thrush. Anyone I know that has used it always had the same complaint...it stains so bad. I think they just has to let it wear off on it's own and walk around with a purple baby for awhile. Maybe you could try a thin layer of Vaseline or something to act as a blocker so it doesn't absorb in the skin? No clue how to get rid of the stain already there though
  • Options
    I was just treated for thrush successfully. Dr gave me diflucan orally and I rub lotramin on my nipples between feeds. I use water and then olive oil to remove it before hazel eats. Hazel received Nystatin. It worked quickly and easily. Ask your doctor for new Rx and tell him about your photos. Best of luck to you!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not liking this stuff. Poor guy.
  • Options
    Was poking around on the Internet & found this on the WebMD site
    "Genetian violet will stain skin and clothing. It should not be given to newborns, because it can cause open sores (ulcers) in the mouth."
  • Options
    Yeah it defiantly stains. We're wearing our least favorite pjs so I don't feel so bad if they get ruined. As for the ulcers. I am going to trust my doc who prescribed it. He said its fine. I feel better about this than some strong antibiotics that could cause more problems.
  • Options

Yeah it defiantly stains. We're wearing our least favorite pjs so I don't feel so bad if they get ruined. As for the ulcers. I am going to trust my doc who prescribed it. He said its fine. I feel better about this than some strong antibiotics that could cause more problems.

Feel better momma! That sounds sucky. :(
  • Options
    I would try the Vaseline as previously suggested. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry but I think that is freaking adorable! Lol I'm sorry. My LO has thrush too. The nyastin or whatever didn't work..
  • Options
    Me and baby girl were just treated for thrush, now unfortunately baby girl didn't show signs and I didn't reAlise my deep pains were thrush and when I finally figured it out we Both had it pretty badly. My doctor perscribed nystatin. Mine was cleared up within a week with the cream and hers has taken almost 3 weeks but is finally healed!! The biggest thing my doctor told me though is making sure you are washing and sterilizing bottles,nipples pacifiers literally after every use, I think that's why hers spread so badly was cause she was using the same pacifier all day, so now we rotate with 4 a day and sanitize after use. :) if hers wasn't better this week we were going to try the dye but was told it is horrible for staining everything!! Good luck!!
  • Options
    I've been having pretty good luck getting the stains out of clothes by spraying shout on them and letting them sit overnight then washing them. Haven't had anything I haven't been able to get the dye out of yet.
  • Options
    Where did you get the GV? I know you can get it on amazon but I was wondering where to buy it to get it sooner. Even with Amazon prime it's telling me it won't be here to October 8-12! I went to SIX pharmacys and the vitamin shoppe with no success. And that's a lot of work with two kids and a hurt boob all by myself and still not come home with anything that will help!
  • Options
    I got mine at our clinic pharmacy. Sorry I'm no help.