2nd Trimester
Options

Flu shot while pregnant

doto313doto313 member
edited September 2015 in 2nd Trimester
Wondering everyone's thoughts on getting the flu shot while pregnant. I'm pregnant with my first and was doing research on the flu shot and there seems to be lots of good and bad to getting the shot. I personally have never got one before so I'm just wondering if I really need to get it now

Re: Flu shot while pregnant

• Options
    My doctor told me that my husband and I should both get it. It is perfectly safe, I will just tell them before I am pregnant just so they know. All that I have read said it is perfectly safe the vaccine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Please do it. Getting the flu while pregnant would be much worse.

I also always tell the story that DH REFUSED to get the flu shot, and my OB said it was fine because flu season was almost over. Well, he got the flu and I went into labor the same day. It was a nightmare scenario. Fortunately, DS didn't catch it, but my poor DH wore a mask the whole time and got no sleep, and I was a wreck; I also spent the first two nights in the hospital by myself. Please, please, PLEASE get the shot and make your DH, too!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I live in Australia where normally the flu shot is about $40 but they offer it to pregnant women for free. I don't think they would do that if there were any negative consequences :) Get the jab :)
  • Options
    Get the shot. The benefits largely outweigh the cons. Getting the flu while pregnant, or having a younger than 6mo baby with the flu can be deadly.
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • Options
    I already got my flu shot. As long as you don't have a medical reason for not getting it (allergic, etc..) I would get it and everyone in your house hold should get it too. The flu sucks when you have a normal immune system.....it will suck even more with your pregnant/suppressed immune system. It could also potentially be deadly for your little bean.....

January siggy challenge - Pregnant lady problems

• Options
    Do it.  Ask for the mercury free version if they have it, but either version is safe for pregnant women.  There is literally no side effect that would be worse than having the flu while pregnant.  Getting the flu when your own immune system is compromised (which it is while you are pregnant because it is putting the baby's needs before yours) is extremely dangerous, and sometimes lethal even to women who were perfectly healthy pre-pregnancy.  It can also be lethal to babies.  Get the shot.
  • Options
    My doctor said that I will be getting a flu shot and Tdap in my third trimester and said that everyone who will be in contact with the baby should have them also. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    It was flu shot day at my OB during last week's 24wk appt. All the pregnant ladies were getting the shot, including me. I also never bothered with one in the past, but it seems like pregnancy is the time to do it.

My arm has been sore and I've been feeling a little crappy since, but better than getting the flu!
  • Options
    Since I am a nurse, where I live, I am forced to get the flu shot unless I want to wear a mask all day at work (which i could never do.) I'm not too happy about it because last year the flu shot here was only 30% effective. I have received it for 2 years now and each time have gotten the flu numerous times. Yes, you can get the flu even if you get immunized. The vaccine is a bit different depending on the strain they are expecting. Since I see a lot of people from out of province, I usually will end up catching whatever flu they carry. So I don't see the necessity of getting the flu shot, but I'll do it anyways. Because I love the residents I work with and I have seen residents die from the flu. And even if it is 30% effective I am doing what I can. :(
  • Options
    I'll get it because my doc wants me to. I've never had the shot and haven't had the flu in over 6 years. Before then I'd get sick for one day. Two max. Nothing major. I have a great immune system. I won't get the shot next year.
  • Options
    I got mine. They are perfectly safe. My pediatrician advised me to have my 15 month old done as well. It can't protect your baby from every strain but the potential benefit is worth it.
  • Options
    Every drug comes with some risk, no matter how small.  The flu vaccine is in FDA pregnancy category C, which means that animal studies have shown adverse effects to the fetus, but there have been no well controlled safety studies in humans.  That combined with the low rates of effectiveness in certain years are some reasons why some mothers choose not to get the shot.

That all being said, of course the flu itself is well-known to have potential damaging side effects to the fetus, and there are studies that suggest antibodies are passed to your baby in pregnancy to protect them before they can get their own shot.  So many doctors feel that the shot is worth the potential/unknown risk.

I'd probably talk it out with your doc who hopefully you trust to give you good guidance.
  • Options
    I never get shots just because they seem unnecessary to me. I will be getting the flu and tdap when the time comes for the safety of me and my little one. I'll probably start getting regular shots from here on out now as well. It's not just me anymore! Please get the shot!
  • Options

My doctor said that I will be getting a flu shot and Tdap in my third trimester and said that everyone who will be in contact with the baby should have them also. 

My doctor informed me that I will be getting both of those at my next appt in a few weeks. (Tomorrow I will be 27wks!)

• Options
    Yeah my doc said anyone who will come in contact with him needs it too. No way can I ask my siblings, their wives, children, my aunts, etc all to get the shots. We are having everyone was their hands before touching and if anyone has any sickies at all, not allowed over. Just take precautions.
  • Options
    satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited September 2015

Yeah my doc said anyone who will come in contact with him needs it too. No way can I ask my siblings, their wives, children, my aunts, etc all to get the shots. We are having everyone was their hands before touching and if anyone has any sickies at all, not allowed over. Just take precautions.

Yea exactly, I can't ask every person to get their shots. Definitely washing hands before holding the baby. I got my flu shot this morning with husband just to get it done and don't have to worry about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got it this time and last time... It's fine, and there is no way I would skip it having a winter baby. I have never gotten the flu, but having a winter NB is not a time to chance it.. H got it, and DD get its every year as well. My OB gives me the shot while I am pregnant, and said this way the baby has a chance to build up antibodies to it while I am pregnant, since babies can't get the shot until they are bigger. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm pregnant and I got my flu shot last month. The way I see it, pregnancy already has me feeling nauseous most of the time and it weakens your immune system making it more likely to catch the flu. With viruses spreading like wildfire at my office and of course at my son's school I didn't want to risk it. 
  • Options
    I'm a nurse and I'm not getting the flu shot because it can kill me due to an allergy to it. I do pediatric home health. The company I work for does not require anything from me even though I can't get the flu shot. I wash my hands and I see one of my docs every week. Even if they did require me to wear a mask or whatever, that's just part of me being a nurse and protecting patients from communicable infections. I knew that was a possibility before I became a nurse. It is what it is.
  • Options
    I got the flu shot when I was pregnant with my first child.  My son is 3 years old and healthy.  They use a different one for pregnant women, just let them know.  
  • Options
    I'm getting it at a flu shot clinic at work this week because I don't want to wait for a month until my next OB appointment. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Just wanted to add: the real influenza virus can be deadly to more than just newborns. As usual, the elderly, the young and anyone with a respiratory condition (asthma) is more likely to suffer, but in past years the flu has taken down more than just them. 

I have a friend whose husband died of the flu 2 years ago. He was healthy, in his mid fifties. 

That same year, a coworker's brother-in-law was hospitalized for weeks with the flu. He was healthy, in his thirties. 

It's no joke, guys. Get the shot.
    Me 37, DH 37
    Married since 4/2004
    DS born 1/20/16, Graeme
  • Options
    I didn't get the flu shot last year and I got the flu. I definitely do not want to get sick with a new born, so I got mine today (36w). My doctor strongly recommended me to get it. I'm making husband get one too.
  • Options
    My parents never wanted us to get the flu shot since my mom said the only time she got it, she got a really bad case of the flu. I've gotten the flu shot once (after I moved out) and was so sick. The flu shot only covers one type of flu virus so you're still able to get all other forms of influenza. But I mean a lot of people get it & have no problems, so it's a teach each it's own thing!
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited October 2015
    doto313 said:

Wondering everyone's thoughts on getting the flu shot while pregnant. I'm pregnant with my first and was doing research on the flu shot and there seems to be lots of good and bad to getting the shot. I personally have never got one before so I'm just wondering if I really need to get it now

It's a dead virus vaccine. It is safe. Getting the flu while pregnant, that would be the problem.
  • Options
    kqualls5kqualls5 member
    edited October 2015
    kqualls5 said:
    My parents never wanted us to get the flu shot since my mom said the only time she got it, she got a really bad case of the flu. I've gotten the flu shot once (after I moved out) and was so sick. The flu shot only covers one type of flu virus so you're still able to get all other forms of influenza. But I mean a lot of people get it & have no problems, so it's a teach each it's own thing!

First of all...was your mom tested to make sure what she actually got was the flu?  I feel like people call EVERYTHING "the flu" during flu season, and a lot of times it's something else (stomach virus, strep throat, sinus infection, cold or other non-flu virus with cold like symptoms).  ACTUAL flu is very very bad.  You cannot get out of bed for several days.  You have a high fever and are very achy.  Generally, even a doctor will need to actually test you to confirm what you have is the flu versus something else, so that they know how to treat you.  DH had the actual influenza years ago and his 103 degree fever caused him to pass out at the doctor's office.  He was out of sorts for a full week.  It was terrible.

The ACTUAL flu, which the virus does help protect against, is very dangerous for young children and "people with compromised immune systems" which includes pregnant women.  It doesn't matter how great your immune system is when you're not pregnant - when pregnant, your body's #1 priority is your baby.  Your immune system will not be as good as it normally is.  I am almost never sick, but while pregnant I had two absolutely horrible colds...which were made more horrible because when pregnant you can't take any of the really good decongestants to deal with them.  I was a snotty mess for weeks.

Second of all, while the virus does not protect against ALL strains of influenza, it does offer very good protection against some.  So while it is still possible for you to get the flu after having the shot, your chances are greatly diminished.  Not getting the shot because you might still get the flu is a really stupid argument, especially since the shot is a dead virus and there is zero chance of you getting the flu as a result of the vaccine.  Getting the shot protects you EXPONENTIALLY more than not getting it. If you get it, you might have a 75% chance of being covered if exposed.  Not getting it you have a zero percent chance of being covered if exposed.  This is a no-brainer.

Third of all the expression is "to each his own" not "teach it's own" or "teach each it's own."

**Removed for TOU Violation**
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    You should take your own advice. Just because someone gave you an opinion different from yours, does not mean you should be rude in return. 

• Options

You should take your own advice. Just because someone gave you an opinion different from yours, does not mean you should be rude in return. 
  • Options
    Are you trying to say something to me because it's not my comment that got removed for TOU violation?

• Options
    Got mine at 9 weeks and I never questioned it. We offered the quadravalent this year so that's what I gave myself. The flu shot is yearly because the flu virus is ever changing. I've seen 2 people come in with the true flu so far this year and I wouldn't wish it upon anybody. It can kill a pregnant woman ,an elderly person, chemo patient etc in a matter of days. Why risk it?
  • Options

My SO, older kids, and I got ours yesterday, and my 1yr old got the first half of his.  Between SO working in a jail and my oldest being a diabetic, plus all the germs the spawn bring home from school, it's super important to me that we all get one.

The only year in the last 10 that I *didn't* get a flu shot (2013/14 season) I got H1N1 and then pneumonia.  So much misery.

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• Options
    The flu shot is ineffective and not proven safe for pregnant women. Ask to read the insert that comes with the vaccine. It says in the insert it is not recommended for pregnant women. It was something like 16% effective last year. This year, it is "improved" and thought to be 50-60% effective. Still sounds like a gamble to me. I would not risk putting poison in my body ever, especially while carrying a baby.

None of my children are vaccinated, actually. The risk does not outweigh the benefit for my family.  I respect the right to choose if you vaccinate or not, but seeing person after person tell the OP to just get the flu shot is disturbing.  OP, do your research and make a decision that you feel is the best for you and your baby.  If your instinct says no or questions it, then don't get it or at least wait until you 100% know. You can't undo a vaccine, so be sure.

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers