3rd Trimester
Options

Smoking and pregnancy?

Re: Smoking and pregnancy?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I dont necessarily think marijuana harms a baby, I know plenty of women who smoked through pregnancy with their children and they delivered a full term healthy baby. I've heard things that make ME nervous, and sure there may be mothers who smoked and had a smaller baby, or a baby with learning deficiency. but from what I've heard it's not necessarily the marijuana that causes it.
  • Options

You may also birth a completely healthy baby, but the risk of SIDS skyrockets. Not worth it and it's a disgusting habit. Unless yellow teeth and fingernails are your style.

Oh god my biggest regret of smoking for so long is how awful my teeth look :(( I go to the dentist all the time for cleanings cause I'm so self conscious about it
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    brittneey said:
    I dont necessarily think marijuana harms a baby, I know plenty of women who smoked through pregnancy with their children and they delivered a full term healthy baby. I've heard things that make ME nervous, and sure there may be mothers who smoked and had a smaller baby, or a baby with learning deficiency. but from what I've heard it's not necessarily the marijuana that causes it.
    zackisamoosed:

i made a damn gif i’m prepared for next time

SPNG Tags: Zackisamoosed/ made a damn gif/ And is prepared for next time / No / stop / really? / again? / Annoyed

Looking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif? This blog organizes them so you don’t have to spend hours hunting them down.

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• Options
    2 things...

1. Every time @bigboobsmcgee comments I read her posts in Big Ange's voice. 

2. OP, I think you should speak to your provider and discuss the possible outcomes (good, bad, ugly, all of them), then the next steps to do what is best for baby. I think the PPs gave you some great info and clear pics (literally), and you should take the info into consideration and just try not to take anything that you felt come across as rude or anything, personally.
  • Options
    Sorry, I just read the original post not everyone else's comments. But I believe any drug could hurt baby, especially if one does it throughout their entireee pregnancy. I stopped drinking the day I found out, simply because I had someone else's needs to think about besides my own
  • Options
    Shame on you. You're selfish. I will pray for your baby.
  • Options
    Quite obviously quiting is the healthiest choice while pregnant and for life. I was young and not as mature with my first and did not quit. I went into labor at exactly 38 weeks and my daughter is 10 now with no health complications. However, now that I am older, I would be devastated if there were something wrong and it was due to my selfishness. I know how hard it is....please if you cannot quit for you do it for the baby. Give that baby a chance. Best of luck and if you are unable to quit, look into the risks of breastfeeding while smoking and second and third hand smoke.
  • Options
    aleecats said:

You may also birth a completely healthy baby, but the risk of SIDS skyrockets. Not worth it and it's a disgusting habit. Unless yellow teeth and fingernails are your style.

Oh god my biggest regret of smoking for so long is how awful my teeth look :(( I go to the dentist all the time for cleanings cause I'm so self conscious about it
    You are more concerned with yellow teeth and SIDS? I just can't with you. Wait until you actually do get a scare, I venture to bet you would rather have no teeth than something happen to your child. I get it though, you must be super detached from your pregnancies as to the reason why for all the dumb ass comments on this thread. GET A Clue.

• Options
    My sister smoked with both of her children the whole time. They both came a month plus early & her daughter was in the NICU for weeks with lung problems. She now has asthma.
    Me:23 DH:24
    Married July 19, 2012
    TTC since March 2015
    Early M/C Dec. 2015
    2 fur babies: Thunder- Blue Heeler, Shiner- Lhasa Apso 
  • Options
    aleecats said:

@mollypuss1 thank you, I was actually extremely hurt by the accusations. After being told I would never be able to have children naturally this little girl is my everything. Every choice I make is in her best interest and she's not even here yet and she's my world.

I think we posted at the same time :)

I really hope she has just confused you with the OP because I can see nothing you put that indicated anything other than you were doing all you could to give your LO the best start you could.
  • Options

aleecats said:

@mollypuss1 thank you, I was actually extremely hurt by the accusations. After being told I would never be able to have children naturally this little girl is my everything. Every choice I make is in her best interest and she's not even here yet and she's my world.

I think we posted at the same time :)

I really hope she has just confused you with the OP because I can see nothing you put that indicated anything other than you were doing all you could to give your LO the best start you could.
    Yes @aleecats she must have confused you with OP. Her replying to you in the manner she did makes absolutely no sense.
  • Options
    To the woman in question maybe seeking help to quit such as talking to your doctor about it or calling a quit line are good places to start.

I can see why this struck a cord with so many women. I see a lot of justified negativity on here yet I feel like instead of everyone condemning her should we not be suggesting ways to help her quit? Is this not a forum to seek support and information to help make informed decisions?
  • Options
    anikajoy said:

To the woman in question maybe seeking help to quit such as talking to your doctor about it or calling a quit line are good places to start.

I can see why this struck a cord with so many women. I see a lot of justified negativity on here yet I feel like instead of everyone condemning her should we not be suggesting ways to help her quit? Is this not a forum to seek support and information to help make informed decisions?

The point is, she should have made the informed decision to quit long before the third tri. Also, in her original post, she was not asking for suggestions on how to quit, nor did she say that she was actively trying to quit. She said that she had cut back and that it was too hard to quit. She was wondering if anyone on this board had smoked through pregnancy and still gone full term. Is it really so hard to understand why that was not met with positivity and support?
    I second this, and have to add that quiet a few women told her different things they used to quit like gum and suckers. Unfortunately though quitting while pregnant is difficult and different because there are many things you can't do that would be beneficial to quiting like certain aids like the patch or nicotine gum. I will say I didn't think about a quiting line and I do agree that would help but at this point she's stated she made her choice not to quit. The women here were giving her reasons to still try to quit.

Also I will say when dealing with addiction support is needed but you can't enable the person in the name of support. A harsh wake up call is often better recieved than a "it's okay try this when your ready". More often than not the user will never truly be ready without a reason to be ready.
  • Options
    Like I said I see a lot of justified negativity and I understand why people have reacted in the way they have. However that doesn't make it right. I believe in a little tough love but that needs to be coupled with some compassion otherwise it's just a bash fest. There are 70 plus comments on here most of which are purposefully tearing her down. Some of the comments are board line bullying. She will take nothing constructive away from being put down in this manner. If people are trying to make her make a positive change about what she's doing there needs to be some sort of recognition that she is a person who makes mistakes like everyone else but is capable of change.
  • Options
    @AnishkaZara , I think it comes down to this being an anonymous internet forum. Responses will be varied and most likely harsh. I would encourage women like the OP to speak to their doctors. Surprisingly, OB's I know will sit you down and give you brilliant advice. Some will put you on a cessation method that involves cutting down slowly so that it's easier. I've never known an OB to be cruel or nasty when it comes to their patients who smoke, they rather you be honest because if you can't quit they can be ready if anything goes wrong. Hoping this helps someone in the future. Don't be afraid of being judged by your healthcare provider. You're not the first pregnant smoker they've seen and you won't be their last.