June 2015 Moms
Options

Cry it out

Not sure if there is a post about this but it's causing huge problems in my house. My husband wants me to allow my 13 week old daughter to cry when he believes nothing is wrong with her. He says I am "spoiling" her by holding her frequently . He also wants to let her cry herself to sleep. I won't do it I refuse. I can see how stressed and upset she gets and it's not worth it. I even told him I'll never leave her with him if he chooses to do this to her. I am hurt and upset he's being so cold.

Re: Cry it out

• Options
    Nope! Too young for CIA in my opinion. We didn't do any controlled sleep training with CIA for my daughter until after 6 months.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    That's what I told him and it starts a huge argument
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Crying is how she communicates right now. If she's crying, she needs something (I know you know this). .... And what she might need is comfort.

My son is 16 weeks and we are no where near letting him CIA.

Maybe have your husband talk to a doctor about crying it out and your child's age. He may take it to heart from someone else.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    Ugh I hate hearing this. Babies cry for a reason and you cannot spoil them. They need love and attention, and yes sometimes constantly...and they should NEVER have to cry it out.. Makes me mad, and heart hurt for babies that are forced to until they literally have nothing left so they pass out. Child abuse in my opinion. Babies have only ONE WAY of communicating and its crying. Your husband needs some education and I'm with you, in not leaving Lo with him... Tell him to do some research and educate himself.

I do believe there is a difference in whining for 5 minutes, I let my Lo do his tired whine for about 5 minutes.. But crying and completely upset... Please go to your baby.. Totally cruel
  • Options
    cbrtncanadiancbrtncanadian member
    edited September 2015
    Yup cry it out isn't self soothing in my opinion... It's cry until they can't anymore because their throat hurts and they are out of tears and they've given up on the people they love and trust coming to get them and provide for them.

My husband also thought that holding the baby too much would spoil him - largely I think because his mother and family seem to feel the same way. I disagree a million times over.

Tell your DH to love on your baby, by holding and snuggling and bonding with that sweet little innocent being as long as they will let you and build a secure and trusting relationship because not having that healthy attachment is devastating for kids as they grow and develop!

When they are old enough to understand then you explain that independence is positive and they don't need to be held all the time to be safe.

I also said in this case I get the power of veto I carried this baby boy for 9months and spend 24/7 with him. I know him and his needs and therefore I get the decision making power at least until he is at least a year old. We will even out the power when he gets older and then we will try out some of your methods.

• Options
    My baby 411 book says the earliest you should CIO sleep train is 4 months. Before than they're really too young to even understand what you're doing.

Sometimes we have to let LO cry...the other day, dh had changed and fed her and she refused to sleep for hours and was just screaming. He had to shower for work so he stuck her in the crib, turned on the mobile, and got in the shower. When he got out she had put herself to sleep in there. He logged on and worked from home while she slept for an hour before bringing her to daycare.

In this instance though he knew she was crying bc she was overtired, and he knew he wasn't leaving her for more than 10 minutes. It's way too early to try this for night sleep now. She is 13 weeks and we'll probably wait at least 6 more weeks before attempting it for real.
  • Options
    Go read the CIO thread in July 15. My pediatrician told me yesterday 4 months is the youngest to start sleep training. The thought of CIO right now makes me physically hurt. I will let mine fuss and whine but not cry. My husband said we'll have to do it eventually but I said no. He's a softie and loves to cuddle LO so I can only imagine what he'd do if he really knew what CIO entailed.
    I am reading the same information that CIO leads to insecurities in toddlers and older children as well.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. I will get a little less sleep if that means rocking her for five more minutes I will put her in her wrap if it means she's happy. She's my precious little gift and she won't be little forever. I am so hurt that we fight over this and I literally cried myself to sleep thinking he's ok with her screaming like that. She falls asleep just fine laying next to me. I nurse her make sure she's burped and she's passed out. Sometimes I try to transition her in her crib. She's just so cuddly that's why I leave her with me.
  • Options
    I don't really have much more to add other than 4 months is the minimum age, meaning some babies won't be ready until 5 or 6 months. We did CIO with DS at the appropriate age and it worked great. Your LO is way too young to CIO. My LO is 14 weeks and we are not even close to CIO.

I do disagree that CIO leads to more crying in the future (when done correctly at the appropriate age). DS still sleeps like a champ and the only behavioral issues are normal to an almost 3 year old who is potty training. No insecurity or abandonment issues at all.
  • Options
    I never had to sleep train, I guess I'm lucky both my kids are great sleepers. But I do know if they weren't I would not be letting my infant "CIO" when they are not neurologically ready... They need comfort and security. It is not "normal" nor "regular", people doing this need to get educated. I'm sure there are people that do, but that doesn't make it right.. And certainly not normal
  • Options
    I also don't agree with CIO but have taken a gentler approach to get LO to fall asleep on his own. We put him down (awake but drowsy) and if he starts to cry we give him a few minutes then go pick him up and cuddle/rock him until he relaxes. Then we put him down again. Rinse and repeat until he falls asleep. If he doesn't sleep within the hr we go for a car ride. A sleep consultant gave me this advice and after 3 days he was a different baby. People often resort to CIO because their babies don't know how to fall asleep on their own.
  • Options
    Hmm this thread needs to go away.. Starting now..... I hate even reading the title...and well, it needs to die, I'll leave it at that :-q