TTC after 35

Short LP advice

Hi ladies,

Last month I posted that I had a wonky cycle (only 21 days). Well... it's basically happened again (24 days), only this time I did a little research (always dangerous) and realized that having so short a luteal phase could be a big problem. I hadn't ever really thought about the LP length, only focusing on my ovulation date in the past. My LP was 6 days in August and now 5 days in September. Now, I'm worried that my body is suddenly totally out of whack and that conception is going to be a real challenge.

I've read a few posts where women tried certain supplements to help lengthen their LP. Does anyone in here have experience with this? I've heard about using a B6/B12 supplement and/or OT progesterone cream, but what I have not been able to glean from the information shared is when and for how long one is supposed to take each. Some mixed information combined with a few scary warnings ("don't take it once you get pregnant or you'll miscarry!") have me worried to even try. 

Anyway.... any advice would be great. I know there are loads of women who have experienced various fertility issues and that my small problem might be minor in the grand scheme of things, but I'm worried, probably just because this is all new information and I'm not sure what it all means yet!

Thanks in advance!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Short LP advice

• I have 24 day cycles a lot, but I ovulate on CD10 and have a 14 day luteal period.  10 is early, so I've got the opposite issue.

The best thing would be to ask your doctor what to do.  I would think they could give you progesterone to delay AF, but they're the experts.

TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I have a short LP as well. My cycles are pretty consistently 28 days long, but I tend to start spotting 8 or 9po so I know I have issues with progesterone. With my first pregnancy, we tried for 2 years and ended up getting my bfp the second cycle after I started using vitex. It's supposed to balance hormones, including progesterone. I also used OTC natural progesterone cream through week 20 of my pregnancy and ended up having no issues other than him being born a little over 3 weeks early. Most recently I got a bfp in June that ended in a mc. I had been trying for several months with the same LP issue and the first month that I started using OTC progesterone cream after o, I got the bfp. In fact, I knew I was pregnant when I made it to 10dpo without spotting. Now that we're back to TTC post-mc, I'm using it in the second half of my cycle again, although I used it last cycle and still ended up with spotting 8 or so dpo. I use Emerita Progest cream and apply 20mg twice a day starting at 2dpo until about 14dpo, unless I get a bfp - then I would keep applying it. You can get it in a tube and measure out a 1/4 teaspoon (20mg) or just buy a box w/20mg packets in it. I also have been using vitex again in tincture form and take approximately 60 drops in water first thing in the morning before eating anything. I can't say with certainty that either the vitex or OTC progesterone were what led to the bfp's but it was awfully coincidental and I figure they can't hurt. I have an u/s scheduled later this week to follow up on an ovarian cyst that I developed after the mc, and am thinking since it will be right around 6dpo, I might ask OB to test my progesterone then, just to see if it is low. If it's not, it won't be clear whether or not the progesterone cream is doing anything, but if it is, I may ask for the medical progesterone. Hope this is helpful, if a bit long-winded!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have short cycles and I would have 8-9 days of LP. For almost a year I've been taking supplements and getting accupuncture done. Now my LP is 12-14 days (which is considered borderline). I think it's the accupuncture that regulated my cycle Plus I find accupuncture to be very relaxing
  • 5-6 is definitely too short for implantation to be possible, in case conception occurs. I would make an appointment with a TCM/LAc to address it. I had a 11-12 day LP and my LAc was able to lengthen to 14 days with just three sessions. She also gave me remedies on top of the acupuncture and Moxa.

Now, like Carrie, she wants to push ovulation day a little forward as she says that CD10-11 is too early.
    Last cycle was 25 days with a 14 day LP. Though that's not the norm for me as I have ovulated averagely on CD13 for most of the 20+ cycles I tracked.

Good luck and don't worry, it will be fixed!
    Anniversary
  • I just got a flashing smiley on day 9 of my cycle. This has happened two cycles in a row. According to the opks I am probably ovulating around cd 12. This is early for me. For those of you who have used vitex, could that help get my O date closer to cd14? I seem to still have a 14 day LP, but am wondering if the follicles and/or lining aren't having enough time to develop as they should. Also, is it safe to take vitex in early pregnancy if one should happen to conceive?

Sorry for a million questions. The world of supplements is new to me, but the info you all have shared has made me curious! ;)
  • @Sporty1216 I've tried Vitex on and off and am not sure it's really done a lot for me. I have read that a lot of women have had luck with it regulating their cycles so it's worth a shot. I don't think that O'ing on CD12 is that bad, especially if you still have a 14 day LP. I have read that vitex shouldn't be taken while pregnant so I don't take it during the luteal phase. But I have also read of some natural doctors who recommend it all cycle long. Soooo, there's a lot of contradictory info out there! I'd say start with trying it out during the first half of your cycle and seeing how it goes. I also read some interesting articles about using it like Clomid - taking a higher dose CD3-9. I've done that a couple times and it did seem to help my ovulation once or twice. Good luck!

ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Thanks, @jilligan14 ! I really appreciate the info. Everything I was reading online just made me more confused. If this cycle doesn't end with a BFP, maybe I'll try it starting on CD1 next cycle.

Have been thinking of you lots. Are you still in cycle limbo?
  • @Sporty1216 - AF showed up this morning
    :((
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Dang. I saw that as soon as I refreshed the window (I'm almost always mobile). I'm so sorry.
  • @Sporty1216 - I honestly can't say what, if anything, vitex has done for me. The only reason I continue to take it is that I've been pregnant twice - once w/my LO after 2 years of ttc and no bfp's and then once recently before I mc'd and both times, I was taking vitex for a couple of months just before. It just seems to be another one of those "it can't hurt and may help" type of things. I take it all cycle long and both times stopped as soon as I got my bfp because there doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence out there about its safety during pregnancy.
  • Sporty1216Sporty1216 member
    edited September 2015
    Thanks, @mamafesto! That's helpful. I'll give it a shot if things don't go our way this cycle. :)
  • @Sporty1216 I start getting flashing smileys on CD9 just about every month, whether I ovulate on CD10, 12 or 14.  (It's always an even number. So weird.)  I got pregnant one of the months I ovulated on CD10, but it ended in a MMC. I have wondered if the early O date had something to do with it, but the doctor assumes it was chromosomal.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• That's super interesting, @carrieandroy. Thank you! This is only my second month of using the fancy opks, so maybe I'll get more flashies this time before the solid smiley. It seems like I usually O on an even day too. I wonder what that's all about? Hm.
  • I have diagnosed myself with luteal phase defect or short LP.  Along with PCOS, this is no bueno.
    This website has been such a great learning tool and guide for me. https://natural-fertility-info.com/progesterone-fertility-guide
    https://natural-fertility-info.com/progesterone-fertility-guide

I am in my 3rd month now doing OTC Progesterone Cream ( called NOW - I have used unscented and lavender) alternating sites.  Dr. Lee has a lot of great suggestions on this website and I have cleared everything with my dr.  If you want to follow a thread I started and continue to post updates to, I'm going to post another update now so it should show up in recent feed. 
    Good luck!!  I'm curious if this works for us both!
    **child mentioned**
    Me(38)PCOS/Hypothyroid   DH(43)Low T/ED
    MMC at 10 weeks 03/2011 DD born 01/2012   TTC #2 since 04/2014
    BFP 8/26/2016

• I'm on my third month of Vitex and plan to quit as soon as the bottle is empty. I'm getting used to the side effects, but I don't like taking it.

Info on Vitex from herblore.com: Vitex is not recommended for use during pregnancy, simply so that the pregnancy hormones can do what they need to do naturally. For women who tend to chronically miscarry, Vitex is actually safe and beneficial to help support hormonal balance through the first trimester, thus possibly preventing further miscarriages. (No research to back this up.)

• Thank you, everyone, for your wisdom. I've had yet another weird cycle, I think. It's not "over" yet, but what has happened so far is that I got a big, bright, positive OPK two days ago, then yesterday a definite negative, today a definite negative and no where in there did I experience a temp spike. So, I may not have even ovulated at all this month. Things just seem to be getting worse and I'm beginning to think that maybe my body/God/whomever is trying to tell me something. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • lickasticklickastick member
    edited October 2015
    @jely26 and ladies with short LP's. something that could possibly help, that is not a suppliment or medication, is making slight changes to your diet. Are you the type of person who has cold hands and feet all the time? Are you wearing more clothes, or feel colder then the general population around you most of the time? Do you get fatigued easily or especially in the later half if your cycle? If this is you (it might not be, this is just one possible presentation according to TCM)

One thing that will make a huge difference is if you cook your food vs eating a lot of raw salads and smoothies. Lightly blanch or stream most veggies you eat, and if you do want a salad or smothie make sure its at room temperature vs straight out of the fridge or ice cold. Amd eat salads/smoothies mid day vs for dinner or first thing in the morning. Drink room temperature water vs ice water, or even better warm-hot water with lemon.

For most women following this way of eating will really positively influence our health, and for the cold type person this can make a huge impact in health an LP phase over time. This is definitely my presentation, and it has made a world of difference for me. Good luck!!!
  • These are great tips. I have a short cycle (24 days on average) and a short luteal phase (9-10 days during the months I've been using OPKs) so this is definitely on my mind. I haven't talked to the doctor yet, as we take "next steps" if we haven't achieved a successful pregnancy by January. I ordered a B complex vitamin, along with Vitex, which I'm hoping not to have to take because of some annoying side effects that I've read about.

So, my plan is to take the B complex, and start CoQ10 too, just for extra nutrition, and see if that helps to lengthen my luteal phase. If I were looking at a 5 or 6 day luteal phase, I would jump right to the Vitex with the B complex, but hoping to shift it without the herbs if possible. Progesterone sounds messy to me, I'm really hoping not to stick anything up my hoo-ha, and I'm being stubborn and holding on to my fantasy of making this a relatively natural process... ;)