March 2015 Moms
Options

Partial night weaning/sleep training

I just started sleep training with the Kim west method which involves breaking sleep associations like nursing to sleep so they learn to put themselves to sleep. Before I was nursing her to sleep in a sleep suit and putting her in her crib then bringing her to bed after a few wakings (every 45-90 mins) and when cosleeping she would nurse constantly, sometimes I couldn't unlatch her without waking her. I have a good supply and a very forceful let down so sometimes she would spit up and seem gassy so this was not sustainable.
So I'm on day three of sleep training and it's going well but I don't want to eliminate night nursing cold turkey. I did only 2 last night (still wakes more often but I get her back to sleep without nursing) and I also pumped a few ounces to help with engorgement. Does anyone know how gradually I should reduce feeding/pumping so as not to aftecg my supply and avoid clogged ducts/mastitis. Also, I have no problem waking 1-3 times a night but if she starts sleeping through the night I'm not sure if I should pump or dreamfeed (never done it sounds scary). I really don't want to jeopardize my supply or our breastfeeding relationship by night weaning too quickly.

Re: Partial night weaning/sleep training

• Options
    My LO stopped nighttime feedings on her own. I really would suggest to go by how your LO leads. If she wakes up, feed her. If not, she probably wasn't getting much at that point anyway, so you are likely going to be fine. And she will probably skip feedings or lengthen the time between them better than a schedule of your own creation! After a couple nights of engorgement, it went away and I was sleeping fine. My milk production never changed, just the timing. You may feel like pumping, and that is fine if it helps, but it will also stimulate production and you may end up taking longer to get over being engorged.
  • Options
    I agree with PP, my kids both weaned themselves from night feedings. I would suggest manual hand expression instead of pumping, unless you are trying to keep a milk supply up. I have found that hand expressing just enough to keep you comfortable helps avoid engorgement.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks I will try hand expression. I'm not very good at it though. I have a manual pump so last night she slept for 6.5 hours straight and my boobs were freaking out so I pumped an ounce from each after 4 hours. She woke up 4 times and I fed her twice which is such a huge improvement for us.
    I had been waiting for her to sleep longer and not nurse but it had become something she needed to put herself to sleep and stay asleep so it was way too much for either of us. It's tricky because breastfeeding resources assume you're doing a couple of feedings and say don't try to reduce feedings and sleep resources say they don't need anything at night at 6 months so it's hard to find a middle ground. Hopefully I'll be able to tell when she needs more for growth spurts or hunger or comfort once we get over this sleep association.
  • Options
    @Clobert Try looking for videos on YouTube. I've found that hand expressing is much kinder to the breasts and doesn't stimulate milk production as much as pumping. Just express enough that you're comfortable. Good luck!
  • Options
    It will definitely help once you break the sleep associations. We put LO to bed awake and turn on his mobile - he LOvES it- it plays for 20 min- usually he falls asleep- he moans, makes lots of funny noises and burrows his head into mattress but is usually successful- if he's not asleep once the mobile shuts off I go in and rub his head and back- now when he wakes up in the middle of the night - he only gets upset if he's hungry- but he frequently wakes and does his moaning thing and I don't have to intervene. The times he does wake up hungry are usually when he hasn't eaten a lot during the day. I'd try to increase his daytime intake as much as you can. I pump while he is sleeping (11 pm and 5am) and give him these bottles during the day to load him up. Not sure how to transition this so you have supply during day but not at night(?) - I may try the hand pumping myself when I'm ready to wean. :)
  • Options
    Will your LO take a pacifier? That's how I could tell mine wasn't hungry but just wanted to suckle. As far as your milk supply it will/should adjust as pp said.
  • Options
    He will take a pacifier but only to play with it (he pulls it in and out of his mouth) - I just keep feeding him until he pulls away/ pushes bottle away - I exclusively pump so I'm always giving him bottles - I also keep track of his daytime intake and I know if it's not enough- he is very likely to wake up in the middle of the night- but he will take 8-10 oz breast milk at bedtime (I have no idea where he puts it). So at night I - if he's crying - I know he's hungry. If he's just moaning- I give him 15 min and he usually falls asleep. He only wakes up Crying 1-2 times a week.
  • Options
    She doesn't take a pacifier. She had a tongue tie so we had a lot of breastfeeding issues so I didn't encourage it and the few times she got one or didn't really take. Getting through the tongue tie and getting her weight up while maintaining my supply is probably why she was used to nursing so much at night because before she wasn't getting much milk and now I have a big over supply and she nurses very effectively. She sucks healer hand a little, I'm hoping this is giving her a chance to learn to self soothe.