May 2016 Moms

So...Tired...

I know a lot of us have been saying on the other forum posts how tired we are, but does anyone have any tips for managing this exhaustion? I'm sleeping eight hours a night and I'm still needing a three hour nap when I get home AND even after all that it still feels like I just pulled an all nighter. I have no energy to spend time with my husband, walk my dog, exercise, or even sit with my colleagues at lunch! Any advice?

Re: So...Tired...

• I'm sleeping around 10-12 hours a night. This weekend I would even say 13. I've heard about taking B6 as well as drinking a lot of water will help. I just started taking B6 so I can't say if it works. Keep in mind you're growing a human in your body. Even while you're sleeping your body is running a marathon 24 hrs a day. You're going to be quite tired for a while. Hopefully the second trimester will give you some relief.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• I'm sleeping around 10-12 hours a night. This weekend I would even say 13. I've heard about taking B6 as well as drinking a lot of water will help. I just started taking B6 so I can't say if it works. Keep in mind you're growing a human in your body. Even while you're sleeping your body is running a marathon 24 hrs a day. You're going to be quite tired for a while. Hopefully the second trimester will give you some relief.

Thanks! I keep reminding myself that the most important thing is that I rest, even if my house is messy and my work isn't finished when I want it to be cuz I'm growing a person!
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel you. Instead of eating, I slept through my lunch. Then when I got home I slept for like 5 hours. After getting 9 hours of sleep last night. Idk how to manage it.
  • I woke up this morning ready to post this question and it was already here! I am so exhausted I can barely function. And my husband has a job with weird hours and with my two step kids at home, bed before 9:30-10 is impossible. Then I'm up at 5 and it just never feels like enough. I sleep through lunch at work, which helps just a bit. It's nice to know I'm not suffering alone. I feel like I'm always on the verge of just falling asleep wherever I am. I'm so excited for the baby, but this exhaustion can go any time. :)
  • My biggest struggle is just making myself get up to walk. Once I take even just a 15 minutes walk, I feel much more energized.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• If you don't have any children at the moment, I always suggesting rest as much as you can during the first trimester. Your body is going to be exhausted from putting all that work into making a baby. Hopefully you will have some energy by the second trimester. Feel better!
    (Me) 30 & (DH) 32 {Together 11 years - Married 04.17.15}

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    TTC Baby #2 since 06/15 | BFP 9/4/15 | EDD 5/07/16

BabyGaga
  • Ugh, it's awful! I haven't been able to sleep through the night in weeks- Every night around 1-2am I wake up and can't fall back asleep for a couple hours.

What helps me is eating a healthy meal every 3 hours or so (if I go longer than that my energy crashes) and exercise. Exercise is SO hard to start, but once I do I perk right up!
  • Friday, I picked up my son at daycare, drove home, put in a video, and passed out for like an hour! I am so not proud of it (I hate the thought of plopping my kid in front of the TV), but I was just dead tired! I completely second @thethornbird 's suggestions to eat something healthy with protein every 3 hours and exercise. I work at a desk, but if I get up and walk during my lunch break I find that I am not nearly as tired when 3pm rolls around.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so so tired at the end of the day. We've got a 4 year old so the movement doesn't really stop until about 830. I climb into bed, fall asleep and then wake at midnight to pee and then it's all down hill - Awake and restless the rest of the night. My job is super high intensity so I hardly take lunches. I just can't seem to get the rest I need. I don't understand what causes the sleeplessness. My first OB appt is next week, I'm going to ask her about it. I'd give anything to take a sleeping pill to get more than 5 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period. Does anyone know if melatonin is safe?? I'm only 8 weeks, and I fear I'm in a desperate sleep deficit already :(
  • mpease7 said:

I'm so so tired at the end of the day. We've got a 4 year old so the movement doesn't really stop until about 830. I climb into bed, fall asleep and then wake at midnight to pee and then it's all down hill - Awake and restless the rest of the night. My job is super high intensity so I hardly take lunches. I just can't seem to get the rest I need. I don't understand what causes the sleeplessness. My first OB appt is next week, I'm going to ask her about it. I'd give anything to take a sleeping pill to get more than 5 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period. Does anyone know if melatonin is safe?? I'm only 8 weeks, and I fear I'm in a desperate sleep deficit already :(

Melatonin is naturally made by your body so it should be safe, but you could google the pregnancy classification of melatonin
  • mpease7 said:
    I'm so so tired at the end of the day. We've got a 4 year old so the movement doesn't really stop until about 830. I climb into bed, fall asleep and then wake at midnight to pee and then it's all down hill - Awake and restless the rest of the night. My job is super high intensity so I hardly take lunches. I just can't seem to get the rest I need. I don't understand what causes the sleeplessness. My first OB appt is next week, I'm going to ask her about it. I'd give anything to take a sleeping pill to get more than 5 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period. Does anyone know if melatonin is safe?? I'm only 8 weeks, and I fear I'm in a desperate sleep deficit already :(
    Unisom is also safe and many women use this in conjunction with B6 to combat morning sickness symptoms.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married Sept '13
    TTC Dec '13
    BFP 10/8/2014 MMC 11/20/2014 D&C 11/26/14
    BFP 9/20/2015 MMC 10/7/2015 D&C 10/15/15
    BFP 3/6/2016

• Ugh, it's awful! I haven't been able to sleep through the night in weeks- Every night around 1-2am I wake up and can't fall back asleep for a couple hours.

What helps me is eating a healthy meal every 3 hours or so (if I go longer than that my energy crashes) and exercise. Exercise is SO hard to start, but once I do I perk right up!

I get up every night to pee around 3 am and usually don't manage to fall back asleep.so exhausted it makes me feel sick.melatonin helps but hesitating to take it more than once or twice a week..

• My doc said Unisom is safe. Try that after talking with your doctor.
  • I am a terrible sleeper, when really live off maybe 5-6 hours which is always ok with me. I am now out for at least 8-9 hours and quite honestly could sleep more if I didn't have to work. I'm an avid runner and have gone from 40 miles a week to about 15 if I am lucky. Nausea does not help this. I have found working at a computer quite the challenge!
  • Yesterday I slept 8 hors for the first timr in a month and felt like a different person. Today I am back to my usual 4 hrs... so miserable! Dreading the long day at work.