Infertility
Options

Exercise after FET

I'm 3 days post transfer (FET) and my RE advised no physical activity more strenuous than the equivalent of 30 minutes on the treadmill at a 4.0 pace, in air conditioning, with water handy. Also no lifting or bending/twisting (so yoga is out).

I'm a very active person so this practically sounds like bedrest to me and I am climbing up the walls with anticipation as it is! Part of me feels ridiculous, thinking "what possible harm could there be in swimming laps for 45 minutes?" while the other part is like "I can't walk the dog at a normal pace for 10 minutes because it's too hot outside!"

I know I should just enjoy the downtime and know that I can get back to being more active once we get that BFP (sticky thoughts and FX). I guess I'm not looking for advice so much as venting about how ridiculous it all seems, but at this point I have too much invested to take much in the way of risks!

Re: Exercise after FET

• Options
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting the strict "restricted activity" guidelines either and had to cancel my plans to attend a family reunion camping trip. Super bummed, but ifeel the same. I know there are women on he boards who got up and were active and still got BFPs, but I figure it's like drinking during pregnancy. Why take the risk? Sorry you have cabin fever! I'll be there in a little over a week if I'm lucky. Hang tough and hope you find a great book or TV marathon to keep you occupied!!!
  • Options
    The real issue is that they don't want you to do anything that could potentially spike your body temperature - but I always got told that swimming in any amount was fine (because you're in a controlled environment where body temp spiking can't happen). 

If it's any consolation, I went jogging a few times on my successful cycle during the tww. I didn't during my unsuccessful cycle. Which isn't to say that you shouldn't follow doctor's orders. Just that nothing is entirely black or white! 
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can still work out, you just have to be careful about overheating. Honestly, I went right back to the gym the next day. But I wore a heart monitor to make sure my rate didn't get above 140.
  • Options
    I'm new on here. I just had a blocked tube removed Aug 18 which ended in a c section incision and overnight. I haven't been able to go to the gym which I was at 2 hours a day 4-5days a week. I just got my period today. I was told I couldn't go to the gym nor compete in the mudderella.com race October 3. I'm super bummed and tired of not exercising. But I want a baby so bad I think being bored like crazy will be worth it in the end. Waiting for the next steps.....
  • Options
    Do you know if these restrictions also apply to an inject TI or IUI cycle? If not, are the restrictions just an added precaution since IVF is so expensive and taxing on the body?
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • Options
    @riveridgional that's exactly how my doctor explained it! :) Bc the ER and hormonal stimming is so taxing, the rest is helpful to support successful implantation of an equally stressed embryo. The jam (uterine lining) will hold it, but for the hatching/ successful connection he suggests restricted activity. It sounds like every RE and case may be a bit different tho!
  • Options
    You can't do a lot of exercises with IVF because your ovaries are huge. They can flip over from their increased weight.
  • Options
    Yah it's really best to err on the side of caution. Ur body has been through something extreme, I know it's hard but it's definitely best to take it easy. Maybe do some brisk walking
  • Options
    I struggle with the exercise restrictions as well.  I am always active so I feel it puts more stress on my body to limit activity!  At the end of the day yes, err on the side of caution, and also just listen to your body..... take everything down a couple notches, I guess.  I've switched over to just the elliptical, lots of long walks, and 5lb weights... I think that's okay?!
    ***Pregnancy Mentioned***
    ME: 32; DH: 34; TTC since 3/2014; Diagnosed Unexplained Infertility 2/2015
    3/2015-5/2015 IUI #1-3 with clomid + trigger:  CP + 2 BFN
    6/2015 Prep for IVF + ICSI + Assisted hatching
    7/2015 17 high-quality blasts, transferred 1 & froze 16
    8/2015: IVF#1 BFN; prep for FET
    9/2015:  Transferred 2 top grade hatching day 6 blasts
    10/2015:  10dp6dfet 754!! 13dp6dfet 2327!! 15dp6dfet 4919!!
    Present:  TWO heartbeats and all is well!!  G/B TWINS Due Date:  6/16/16
  • Options
    I was just told I shouldn't run or lift more than 25lbs on my monitored letrozole cycle. This is incredibly difficult for me because I run 3-4 days a week and am in the middle of training for a half marathon. I even emailed my nurse back to more or less beg to run.
    Me: 31 PCOS + Homozygous A1298C MTHFR DH: 32 A-OK!
    December 2015-IVF 24 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 9 frozen blastocysts
    January 2016-FET #1-BFP!
    February 2016-MC @ 7w3d
    April 2016-Hysterscopy and D&C
    May 2016-September 2016-Prepare to move to Qatar and TTC is on hold
    October 2016-Natural BFP & MC @ 6w
    December 2016-Natural CP
    April 2017-FET #2-BFP-It's TWINS!
    Follow our journey
  • Options
    @takethelongway any exercise tips or updates from your nurse?!  
    ***Pregnancy Mentioned***
    ME: 32; DH: 34; TTC since 3/2014; Diagnosed Unexplained Infertility 2/2015
    3/2015-5/2015 IUI #1-3 with clomid + trigger:  CP + 2 BFN
    6/2015 Prep for IVF + ICSI + Assisted hatching
    7/2015 17 high-quality blasts, transferred 1 & froze 16
    8/2015: IVF#1 BFN; prep for FET
    9/2015:  Transferred 2 top grade hatching day 6 blasts
    10/2015:  10dp6dfet 754!! 13dp6dfet 2327!! 15dp6dfet 4919!!
    Present:  TWO heartbeats and all is well!!  G/B TWINS Due Date:  6/16/16
  • Options
    @mclorn my nurse said I can run 2 days a week but no more than 30-45 minutes at a time. She also said I could swim, bike, or use the elliptical. I guess the big thing with running for me was the length of time I was running for. She said it can divert blood flow from the uterus which doesn't make it an inviting home for an embryo/baby. I get it. I am figuring out ways to stay active even if they aren't in my normal realm of what I considered active.
    December 2015-IVF 24 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 9 frozen blastocysts
    January 2016-FET #1-BFP!
    February 2016-MC @ 7w3d
    December 2016-Natural CP
    Follow our journey
  • Options
    And here I thought I was being silly for feeling so much sedentary fatigue! Glad to see I'm not the only one. Been trying to take lots of short walks and some light toning. 3 more days til our beta... I'd be going nuts if I didn't have so many distractions with work (never thought I'd be happy to hear my boss say I'd be needed extra hours and over the weekend).

Maybe I'll try getting back in the lap pool this weekend if I don't end up working the whole damn thing.
  • Options
    @takethelongway- pay attention to the way your joints feel.  About 10% of women experience swollen joints on letrozole (including me) and I injured myself over-exercising when my joints were swollen.  Mild exercise (walking) is okay, but if your knees, ankles, feet, hips, back, hands, etc. start to hurt, then stop your run and walk home.

If you're in the 90% of women who don't experience this, then I'm sure you're fine.  Just pay attention to your body!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    @klake42 Thank you! That could explain my hips :) 
    January 2016-FET #1-BFP!
    February 2016-MC @ 7w3d
    December 2016-Natural CP
    Follow our journey