1st Trimester
Options

Deodorant

what are you guys using and what have you been told is effective and safe?

Re: Deodorant

• Options
    Agreed, I the only thing I stopped doing (as far as my skin routine) was spray tans. I think all lotions/deodorants/makeup are fine during pregnancy :-)
  • Options
    I use the same everything. But I like dove.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think there all good for pregnancy, it depends what you like 
  • Options
    I'm still using the same deodorant.
                                                                                  image

• Options
    I switched to Tom's recently because it's just deodorant and doesn't contain the aluminum/anti-perspirant that my previous product did. No one advised me to switch so, as previous posters said, it's probably fine to continue using the same stuff you always have.  I'm trying to make better, more natural choices during pregnancy so when I ran out of the last product I was using, I looked around for something a little different. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me: 39 DH: 41
    Met in HS, but lost touch for 12 years after graduation
    1st Date: 5/27/06
    Engaged: 9/16/13
    Married: 6/20/15
    BFP: 9/2/15
    CVS: 11/3/15 (all good news - thank God!)
    EDD: 5/11/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Use what you normally use. No need to change it up. Same goes with makeup, lotion, moisturizer.

Yes this. I didn't change anything while pregnant.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    FYI-- "natural" is not always better.
    I never said it was, but thanks for letting me know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me: 39 DH: 41
    Met in HS, but lost touch for 12 years after graduation
    1st Date: 5/27/06
    Engaged: 9/16/13
    Married: 6/20/15
    BFP: 9/2/15
    CVS: 11/3/15 (all good news - thank God!)
    EDD: 5/11/16

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm glad I read this. I wasn't sure how to go about my deodorant. Sometimes I want to go the natural way but the funk is bad (tmi sorry). So I used old spice swag for men. It has aluminum though. I may switch to dove though again. I always have to switch because I get rashes at time. I'm glad I came across this discussion. My mind is more at ease now.
  • Options
    Even before pregnancy I chose natural products. I use toms deodorant in lavender, kiss my face toothpaste with out fluoride and as for cosmetics I got rid of most of my high end products and now use The Balm- amazing ''natural" cosmetics and face creams. As for body I have been using sulfate and parables free shampoo conditioner and soaps for years. As for body lotion coconut oil is amazing! I also recently concocted a mix of raw cacao, coconut, Shea, and bees wax melted them together and made my own amazing belly cream. Tuns of recipes on Pinterest ;)
  • Options
    MssusTMssusT member
    edited October 2015
    Has anyone heard not to use Salicylic acid or Retinol creams? I have been told, but haven't asked the doc yet.. anyone have any insight from an MD? __________*sorry, searched and found lots of info in other threads and articles. *
  • Options
    MssusT said:

Has anyone heard not to use Salicylic acid or Retinol creams? I have been told, but haven't asked the doc yet.. anyone have any insight from an MD? __________*sorry, searched and found lots of info in other threads and articles. *

yes I think I have read that acne medications may not be safe, check with your doctor for sure because those things can be strong.
  • Options
    sarahuflsarahufl member
    edited October 2015
    Knottie75019262 said: Has anyone heard not to use Salicylic acid or Retinol creams? I have been told, but haven't asked the doc yet.. anyone have any insight from an MD? __________*sorry, searched and found lots of info in other threads and articles. * yes I think I have read that acne medications may not be safe, check with your doctor for sure because those things can be strong.
    ****BOXES****
    I brought the product ingredient list to my OB at my first appt for the face wash I use. She said pretty much anything
    without salicylic acid is fine. But you should bring it to your OB. In the meantime, I would suggest you not use it.
  • Options
    MssusT said:
    I've done quite a bit of research on this because I have bad acne. There is no data either way to say if these compounds are safe or harmful in pregnancy. Unfortunately you will find that this is the case for almost everything when you ask "is this safe in pregnancy?". Proving teratogenicity (the ability to cause birth defects or other fetal harm) is virtually impossible from a medical/scientific standpoint. However, for both of these compounds the oral form (meaning something you take my mouth like a pill) has some data to show it can be harmful in pregnancy. This is particularly true for retinol (Accutane is the oral form). In general when you put something on your skin very little of it actually gets absorbed, but I think a lot of people would recommend against using them just because of the potential for a small amount to get into the bloodstream. Personally, I've decided to stop using the salicylic acid face wash that I normally use, just to be as safe as possible. But I don't really have any evidence to back up that decision. If my acne gets terrible then I'll talk to my doctor about it.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Options
    Thanks, I just have them in a few of my "old lady creams" :), I guess I can count pregnancy as my new "I'm not old yet" marker.. heehee... 

• Options
    I'm still using Mitchium
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020