October 2015 Moms

Dilation, Effacement, and Station

My doc days I'm 2cm, 70% effaced, and at a -1 station. Said I won't make it to 37 weeks. 3rd baby, last one came at 34+6. How's everyone else doing?

Re: Dilation, Effacement, and Station

• 38 weeks today FTM and at my appt yesterday I wasn't dilated at all :( I go Tuesday for an ultrasound to see his positioning and get an estimated fetal weight then back to the OB next Wednesday. Maybe we'll make some changes in this week coming.
    I know he'll come when he's ready but let's get this show on the road!
  • At my appt yesterday 36 + 3, I was nearly 100% effaced 2 cm dilated. She didn't say station but that baby is down low. She said said she'd be shocked to see me next week. This is my 4th pregnancy and I'm expecting twins. Was up all night with mild contractions soooo we'll see! I don't care what the nay sayers think, for me effacement and dilation always mean labor is imminent.
  • Loading the player...
  • Went yesterday, I have 19 days left. 1cm dilated 50%effaced -2 position. Don't really know what position means. But lost my mucus plug last night after a weesale consignment shopping. Lol
  • 36 + 4, My doctor said I was 1 cm dilated and 30% effaced. First time mom and I'm ready to have this baby but I'm also trying to be patient. Lol.
  • FTM 36 +4.. Was 70% effaced and not dilated at all when I went to the doctor yesterday.. I think I lost some of my mucus plug this morning..
  • edited September 2015
    38 weeks today and as of yesterdays appointment, I'm 1cm dilated (no change from last week) 50% effaced, and his head is all the way day (I wasn't told his station.) I've been having contractions on and off, but nothing consistent. I'm hoping he makes an appearance next Wednesday for the fall equinox. Idk if I can handle going to his EDD of 10/1. I'm in so much pain and can barely walk now :-S
  • 38 weeks today, no dilation, no idea on effed ment....they are going to discuss induction next week if there is no progress.
  • Rikki_5 said:

I don't understand why people are saying they are going to induce at 38 weeks?  Isn't 40 weeks the common term?  My doctor says that most times babies do come later then their due date.  

My thoughts exactly ...

And for what it's worth I was 1 cm dilated since 24 weeks and my dr said its normal cause it's my second pregnancy. Also baby has been head down and super low in my pelvis since 30 weeks, I'm 36 weeks today...

Dilation and the baby's engagement in your pelvis has absolutely ZERO to do with labor. My sister walked around 3 cms for 4 weeks and had to be induced still....
  • FTM with NO experience with these numbers or what they mean, but I learned today that I am 2cm dialated, baby is 70% effaced, and I'm at station -1. Midwife was surprised and said I might still make it to my due date but that my body was doing a lot of work already! I was pretty excited, even though I want baby to grow inside as long as it needs I would be ok with him/her being here in my arms soon too :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Anniversary
  • lalenalalena member
    edited September 2015
    At 36 wks -3 station, 1cm, 50% effaced. No clue about the mucus plug as I never remembered losing it the first time. First pregnancy, was 40+1 before water broke, even then, had to be induced with pitocin and cervidal because I was only a finger tip dilated and hardly effaced.

Dr said I should progress much faster this pregnancy than my first.
  • lalenalalena member
    edited September 2015
    As for inductions before 40 weeks, we don't know their medical history or how big their babies are. There are many reasons that some people have to be induced early. I know mine will if she thinks the baby is huge and I personally would rather do that than have a csection
  • I skipped the cervical check today, but last week I was 3cm (36 weeks). They never tell me how effaced I am. For what it's worth, I walked around for a week at 4+cm with babies 1&2.  With my first pregnancy, they kept telling me I wouldn't make it to my next appointment because I was 3.5 from 35 weeks, and he was born two days before his edd. It was absolutely torture to go back each week, still 3.5-4.5cm and not go into labor like they kept saying. I wouldn't put too much stock in going into labor soon just because you're starting to dilate... It's hard to wake up each morning thinking today's the day, and then nothing.

Married to J since 5/05, Mommy to T (10/08), L (08/10) and C (02/13) who was born at home.

• Had my cervical check today and swab and I didn't think it was bad at all.  Just like the yearly exam.  No dilation, 50% effaced and didn't tell me exactly where baby was at but did confirm that he definitely dropped like I thought!  And that yes my period like cramping every once in awhile is contractions.  So excited!!!  Said that would be the last time I was prodded until I went into actual labor.

• lalena said:

As for inductions before 40 weeks, we don't know their medical history or how big their babies are. There are many reasons that owner have to be induced early. I know mine will if she thinks the baby is huge and I personally would rather do that than have a csection

A big baby is not a medical reason for induction. Ultrasounds can be accurate but they can also be very very inaccurate. I have GD and Induction has not even been discussed as of yet and I don't see the need until after 40 weeks. And my husband was a 10lb baby.

• I got checked 2 days ago at 37 weeks, 2 days and I was just shy of 4 cm (up from 3 cm the week before), 70% effacement, baby head down and low with bulging "waters". But, I haven't had much in terms of cramping or contractions at all. Either way, I will be induced in 12 days at 39 weeks (induced due to high amniotic fluid). I am hoping to go early. Maybe I should start moving more (walking, etc.).
    Me: 39
    DH: 39

TTC: #3 - first cycle TTC - 10/2014
    Preg #1 - PTL @ 23.5 weeks - angel in heaven (Addison Margaret)
    Preg #2 - PTL @ 30.1 weeks - Kellen born @ 3 lbs. 5 oz in Jan 2010 - My Pride and Joy
  • 36 weeks.... 50% effaced and 1 cm! Things are getting started!
  • I'm 38 weeks, and I'm not dialated at all. However, I have lost my mucus plug (sorry for the TMI)! Went into Labor and delivery this morning, because I thought that my bag of waters may have torn. Got there and the nurse thought for sure we were going to be staying. Luckily, I did not have to be induced today. Although, it was a good thing that I went in, because it ended up that I have a really bad UTI. I am now getting anxious! I want this little one out!
  • nianicho777nianicho777 member
    edited September 2015
    Rikki_5 said:

I don't understand why people are saying they are going to induce at 38 weeks?  Isn't 40 weeks the common term?  My doctor says that most times babies do come later then their due date.  

Because my Dr thinks it's best due to blood pressure issues etc. Everyone is different, not ALL pregnancies are safe to continue until 40 weeks!

Edited number
  • I just hit 36 weeks. I'm 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. I am scheduled for a csection at 39 weeks and today I found out the baby is positioned the wrong way so I wouldn't be able to normal delivery.
  • I'm 37 weeks 2 days & with my last this is the night I started labor... & she was perfectly healthy... This time (my 3rd)... Nothing! My BH have slowed down. I'm 2cm dilated 50% effaced & I know this baby will be holding on for dear life! Lol oh I'm so ready though, he's low!
  • I'm a FTM and I was checked a couple days ago (at 36+2) and was surprised to find out I was already 2-2.5cm dilated, 60% effaced and at a -3 station. Apparently some of the "BH contractions" I had been having last weekend were actually "real" contractions! Nothing rhythmic or really timeable yet but even so, Dr now says she doubts I'll make it to my oct 11th due date. Eek! Getting so excited and nervous!
  • 40% effaced and 1cm! At 34 weeks 4 days I'm not sure I like those numbers being a FTM. Already had the doctors stop labor twice, this past Monday and then back at 31 weeks so hoping I make it as long as possible!
  • As of a week ago: 1.5 cm dilated, 70% effaced, -1 station! Not that it means anything for me really (FTM.)
  • LydiaPick said:

I'm a FTM and I was checked a couple days ago (at 36+2) and was surprised to find out I was already 2-2.5cm dilated, 60% effaced and at a -3 station. Apparently some of the "BH contractions" I had been having last weekend were actually "real" contractions! Nothing rhythmic or really timeable yet but even so, Dr now says she doubts I'll make it to my oct 11th due date. Eek! Getting so excited and nervous!

Don't let it psych you out too much. I was 3cm and 70% effaced and -3 at 35w5d.
    She had no idea when I might go, you can walk around dilated for weeks and nothing happens. Waiting game
    37 weeks today.
    :-O
  • Third time mom here (although it's been almost 6yrs since I've been pregnant). I was checked yesterday 35w 5d and I was 50%effaced and 1cm. She said his head was pretty low too but I'm not too caught up on it. I know it could take a while before he comes!
  • ajblanks11ajblanks11 member
    edited September 2015
    FTM...36w4d...went to the dr today...0% dilated, 0% effaced, -3 station...so as the dr said "all closed up!"  haha  She said those measurements really don't mean much at this point and could change any time.  
    Me: 35, DH: 36
    Married 3/5/2011
    Fur Baby: Zoey
    TTC #1 since October 2014
    BFP: February 2, 2015
    Due October 12, 2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • comlandcomland member
    edited September 2015
    Tomorrow I will be 36w and today I am 0% dilated. All of this discussion made me so curious. I am glad I got checked, as for me personally it was not a big deal at all. It is nice to know that bit of information even if it really does not mean much in regards to when to expect labor. 
  • 38 weeks today and as of yesterdays appointment, I'm 1cm dilated (no change from last week) 50% effaced, and his head is all the way day (I wasn't told his station.) I've been having contractions on and off, but nothing consistent. I'm hoping he makes an appearance next Wednesday for the fall equinox. Idk if I can handle going to his EDD of 10/1. I'm in so much pain and can barely walk now :-S

Dumb question (FTM here at 38wks) but when you say you're having contractions on and off, but not consistent, do you mean BH contractions since they're NOT consistent? Or real labor contractions? Would you please clarify for me? I'm sorry you're in so much pain...

• My doctor doesn't tell me any of this information. Do you ladies proactively ask? I saw my Dr at 35 weeks and won't see her again til the first and im due the secind. This is my first child and my cervix was closed at 35 weeks that's all I knew.
  • My Dr checks dilation/effacement/station every week after the 36th week. I never have to ask, she just tells me. She also provided me with a Xeroxed copy of my records to bring to the hospital just in case I go early. I bring this copy to every visit to be updated with the new info, such as my next appt Tuesday. This record has the information on dilation, effacement, etc on it.
  • @ERININSYDNEY I'll tell you my personal experience (I'm a FTM too!). When I say I'm having contractions on and off, they are both Braxton Hicks and also "real" contractions. BH just feels like- "Ooh! My whole belly is super hard....that's kind of uncomfortable and weird!" And the "real" ones feel more like intense (or sometimes mild, the pain level varies) period cramps- down LOW in the front and often my lower back hurts too. Unlike BH ones, these are actually painful and sometimes I have to breathe through them.

@brittneey It's standard for my Dr to at least offer to check all this stuff every appt (which now is every week) starting at 36 weeks. It is pretty painful to have them check the cervix and everything (which my friend warned me about and it was true!), plus like many have said, it doesn't necessarily "mean" anything about when you'll go into labor. So that's why it is optional. I'm way too curious not to do it so I'll probably keep getting checked every week just for "fun". HA. Seems like every dr has a different standard though....I'm glad I got checked at 36 weeks because it allowed my dr to see that I was progressing and (considering my long commute) she has now written me a note to start working from home (at 37 weeks) so that I don't have to go into labor at work (an hour away) since she thinks I will probably go early...so that was GREAT news for me :)
  • MrsL32 said:
    Am I the only one who's doc doesn't even check?? I kind of prefer it that way because the numbers really don't mean much and I would just start playing mind games with myself if I knew numbers.
    I thought I would ask not to be checked, but I was super curious, so I had my 36-week check done. My doctor says she won't check at 37 weeks because she doesn't want to "poke around up there and induce labor just yet" - her words :)

They will do them weekly after that unless the patient requests not to. 

Side question for those of you who have had checks done: I know it's typical to bleed some after a cervical check; my doc told me this. I'm still spotting a bit today. My check was yesterday morning. If you bled/spotted after, how long did it last?

• At 38 weeks we saw no progress. FTM and looks like I'll go past my Oct 1 EDD. My doctor said if as time goes and nothing happens we'll first look at alternative solutions like primrose oil and stuff. As for pitocin, only if my water breaks before getting contractions and too many hours pass without progress so we don't risk getting infections.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lalenalalena member
    edited September 2015
    I know some women have pain or spotting with cervical checks, but I've never felt any pain or pressure from it, even during my first pregnancy. Maybe my Dr is extra gentle? Lol