August 2015 Moms

Breathable crib mattress?

Anyone seen this or using one? What are your thoughts? I just don't think I would be comfortable letting my baby sleep face down no matter what...breathable or not!

Re: Breathable crib mattress?

• I have never heard of it, but im with you I couldnt let LO sleep face down. Shes taken to side sleeping which I can deal with but freaks me out a little, luckily she hasnt made it past her side!
  • We bought one just for peace of mind, not necessarily to have LO sleep on his belly. It's the Newton one, which is also 100% recyclable, hypoallergenic and doesn't off gas, which was important to us.
  • Loading the player...
  • noobmama83 - Can you please tell me more about the Newton?  I'm just starting to explore breathable mattresses as my 5.5 month old is trying to sleep face down.  How long have you been using it?  Is it still very firm?  Have you tried pressing your face into it to see if you can breathe well? Also, do you still use a crib sheet?  Thanks so much!!
  • I don't have any experience with them, but I have friends that are from another country and breathable mattresses are very common and even recommended there.
  • I have never heard of it before.
  • Here's a list of the 5 best breathable crib mattress https://thebestbabycribs.com/breathable-crib-mattress/
  • I want one next time around! Just recently DD started rolling on her tummy to sleep. Some times I find her face down and try to turn her head. Some times it works and other times it wakes her up. Our Ped reassured me that if she's rolling and crawling and has the control to get there, she will turn her head if she has trouble breathing. It still keeps me worried!
  • We have the secure beginnings breathable mattress and I really like it. We sleep trained DS a few months ago and the minute we put him in his crib he flipped onto his face (we turned him back a couple of times but that was a futile effort) and has been sleeping that way ever since. If we didn't have this mattress I don't know if I could have relaxed enough to allow him to sleep on his own which we both really needed. At this point I do feel like he would also be fine on a regular mattress but it still brings me peace of mind and I will be glad to have it for future babies.
     It's great to have one less thing to worry about but i also like it because there is no fire retardant mattress filler, fewer allergens, I can throw the whole thing in the washing machine and it promotes air circulation so I worry less about him over heating. It definitely isn't as cuddly or cozy as a traditional mattress and the material isn't terribly soft but he's never known any different and is perfectly comfortable and happy. Also it comes in multiple colors and I think it looks so cute. 
  • I have just written a good guide to choose a safe crib mattress for a newborn baby.Here you will learn 
    1.What is the best organic crib mattress? answer:GOTS certified mattress.
    2.Are all baby mattress safe? Answer:No.
    3.is used crib mattress safe? Wnswer:No
    4.How a breathable crib mattress can prevent SIDS?