March 2015 Moms

Avacodos

Hi,
I gave my lo mashed avacodos mixed with breast milk yesterday. (First solid food other than cereal) As soon as he ate like 2 bites he threw it up. I chalked it up to the bottle he had just eaten+The new food was too much. Today I tried it again. I gave him it when he was in a good mood and it had been about an hour since he nursed. I barely got a little taste in his mouth and he threw up, a lot emptied his tummy . I'm just wondering if anyone else's lo did something similar with a new food? I'm not sure if he didn't like it so he made himself sick or if it was a reaction... I'm just going to go back to cereal for a few days and maybe try bananas or sweet potatoes next time. Felt so bad for him

Re: Avacodos

• When we started he just pushed it all out on his own. But we didn't give him the bottle till after. We feed him about 4 times a day now, we start with a few tbsp of puréed food and then about 5-6oz depending on how much he ate. It was a lot of trial and error in the start. He still spits up if we give him too much formula after the food. Maybe just the timing has something to do with it?
  • Sounds like it could be an allergic reaction. I would try sweet potato mixed with breastmilk and see if he does the same thing. You could also try bringing avocado to the pediatrician and feeding him there- they could then let you know if it looks like an allergic reaction. Poor baby
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I appreciate your replies to this! :)
  • My baby hated avocado! He would spit it out as soon as it went in and even started crying!
  • DS1 is allergic to avocado. He ate it fine, but got a rash. FWIW, avocado, latex, banana, kiwi and mango are all linked for allergies. DS1 can eat bananas, kiwi and mango, but he has a reaction to latex and avocado. Just another thing to look for-- and if they test for the allergy, ask  them to test for latex too, 
  • My LO first tried sweet potatoes for his first food and did fine for a day after a week on cereal. The second day and a few days after he kind of coughed then threw it up. The next day I just did cereal then the next just bottles and same thing- I feels like maybe it was just a new thing to his tummy and it agitated him. I gave him a week break then back to cereal a week or two. We just started experimenting with foods again and he's been doing much better. He was kinda gaggy with avocado tho. I started introducing each new food with a little cereal and breast milk so dull the new flavor for the first day and slowing decreasing the cereal. Good luck!!
  • He's fighting his cereal now too which he was doing good on before. Wondering if we need to give him a break for a few days. I think I might try the sweet potato with his cereal next week. Avoiding all the related allergy risk foods for a while I think! You guys are great. Thanks for all the input!
  • Uhh what? I'm going to need some info to back up why avocado is not good for babies. That sounds pretty bizarre.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Uhh what? I'm going to need some info to back up why avocado is not good for babies. That sounds pretty bizarre.

It's just a bunch of commenters who are trolling. Posting silly comments brings joy to their lives.
  • KD32412 said:
    Uhh what? I'm going to need some info to back up why avocado is not good for babies. That sounds pretty bizarre.
    It's just a bunch of commenters who are trolling. Posting silly comments brings joy to their lives.

Oh, that sounds super cool and hilarious and like an excellent use of time.

I almost bought it, just so that I could eat all the avocados and not share, but yeah...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • SharLovesAlexSharLovesAlex member
    edited September 2015
    KD32412 said:

Uhh what? I'm going to need some info to back up why avocado is not good for babies. That sounds pretty bizarre.

Which is really sad, in my opinion.
  • Mine gags with avacado too. Everything else is fine.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers