March 2015 Moms

Solid Food

I started feeding my LO solids when he was 4 months after the doctor gave the go-ahead. I was giving it to him 2 times a week to make sure he didn't develop allergies, but I was thinking now of feeding him solids every other day? He hasn't shown any signs of allergic reactions to anything, and he LOVES the foods we give him. How often do you give your LO solids (if you've started that already)?

Re: Solid Food

• I add a new food just about every day or every other day. New recommendations are a little vague, but if he's tolerating everything well, and enjoys it, then go for it! I also have a LO who absolutely adores eating. She didn't even make a face when we started chicken! And I sort of need to ration her food because she will just keep going if I let her.
  • We've been doing twice a day every day - just a few tablespoons. Also since 4 months. He's almost 6 now, and we've started to add combos. Like bananas and blueberries or sweet potato and apple. When we add something new we just watch for anything weird. Worst reaction so far was gas to spinach. We basically stuck with the Gerber starter veggies and fruits. And the combos are new since the packaging says 6mo+. We always give him a bottle after the food also...since a few tbsp clearly isn't enough. Our baby is a big boy 20 pounds already. So the formula was not nearly enough for him.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have been doing vegetables twice a day. Had our 6 month appt a couple of days ago and doctor said to give him solids 3 times a day, and as much as he wants. She said babies will let you know when they are full. So far my LO will only take 1-2 tablespoons at a time, but really enjoys eating!
  • I started my bub on rice cereal, but she really didn't like it. Then went on to sweet potato. Then I made sweet potato, carrot and potato. I also made apples. Now I make apples and pears. And I added a stick of celery to the sweet potato combo the other night, and then added a kiwi fruit to the apples. She loves it! I have given her avocado twice, though today it was a bit thick. I even started her on some water. She enjoyed trying to drink, and got a bit in! But our usual day is mashed banana for breaky (nearly a whole banana!!), apples for lunch, and sweet potato for dinner. Nom Nom nom. :)
  • We have been doing vegetables twice a day. Had our 6 month appt a couple of days ago and doctor said to give him solids 3 times a day, and as much as he wants. She said babies will let you know when they are full. So far my LO will only take 1-2 tablespoons at a time, but really enjoys eating!

Ah! I feel like my LO will just keep asking for more! She's up to about 4 oz for each meal, three meals per day. She does let me know if she's full, but I sometimes wonder if she is eating too much. So while I have heard the same advice about babies stopping when they're full, I start to wonder if that's always true when I feed my daughter! Lol... She is and always has been a big baby (I think she's close to 20 lbs now), so I guess she eats as much as a nine month old would eat because she is the size of one!
  • We were also advised to do three meals a day, mainly down to my daughter's height:weight ratio (99%:65% - I'm 5'10", hubby is 6'3 and I've always been a 0-2 so they weren't worried, just that she's a 'big' baby). We now have a fruit/yoghurt mixture for breakfast, a veggie mix for lunch and something with veg and chicken for dinner. She loves it! She rarely finishes her dinner, but that doesn't concern me.
    Each 'meal' is a large ice cube, melted (we home-make everything and it has breast milk to make it puréed). I also breastfeed her as usual during the day, but soon we may change to some formula throughout the day in a soppy cup, not a bottle. I'm a terrible pumper!
  • We're really flexible with it- sometimes a couple times a day, sometimes skip a day, etc. Depends on how the day is going, what we are eating, what groceries we have, if she's pooped lately, etc. We do baby led weaning, so I just plop some on the tray and mostly let her play with it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctors says its need to be breakfast lunch and dinner and let home eat has much as he wants but i don't do that I stop him I don't want to give him a Belly ache or anything sometimes I think the doctor are crazy but maybe that's just my mommy instinct haha
  • I also started my daughter on solids at 4 months. She usually has 2oz -3oz of fruit in the morning, and 4oz of vegetables for dinner. Plus she'll also have a piece of a real banana or some other fruit in a mesh food thingy I have. she's done great solids since day one. Her doctor said I can start her on finger foods like fruit puffs or Cheerios. She's doing great with fruit puffs. I'm going to start introducing meat soon.
  • I think the recommendation for three meals a day is based on the assumption that you want to be done with bottles or nursing by 1 year. My son was nowhere NEAR done nursing at 1 year, I don't intend for this LO to be either, so we go slow with solids. Breastmilk is more complete nutrition than any solid she would be eating so I want her to get mostly breastmilk for a good long time.

BabyFruit Ticker

I feel like my LO will keep going! Like @AGM0616 says, my baby LOVES to eat! A couple of times he stopped opening his mouth, but that was when he was nearly finished eating already. I will wait and see what his doctor says, but I was feeling like I should feed him solids more often because he always seems hungry when we feed them to him. Thanks so much everyone for your input!

Now, does anyone have a baby bullet? If so, what do you make using it? We have one but haven't used it yet. We've been buying first foods from Gerber just to see what he likes and check for allergies. Any suggestions would be great!

I feel like my LO will keep going! Like @AGM0616 says, my baby LOVES to eat! A couple of times he stopped opening his mouth, but that was when he was nearly finished eating already. I will wait and see what his doctor says, but I was feeling like I should feed him solids more often because he always seems hungry when we feed them to him. Thanks so much everyone for your input!

Now, does anyone have a baby bullet? If so, what do you make using it? We have one but haven't used it yet. We've been buying first foods from Gerber just to see what he likes and check for allergies. Any suggestions would be great!
    I used this website while preparing meals for my firstborn, it has great recipes and answers pretty much all your feeding questions. Good luck!

• I think the recommendation for three meals a day is based on the assumption that you want to be done with bottles or nursing by 1 year. My son was nowhere NEAR done nursing at 1 year, I don't intend for this LO to be either, so we go slow with solids. Breastmilk is more complete nutrition than any solid she would be eating so I want her to get mostly breastmilk for a good long time.

I agree! Baby only eats solids for dinner and the rest of the day she nurses. I will let her wean when she is ready and if she shows signs that she wants more solids, we will be adding in more feeds. Worked great with us for the first kiddo, hoping it'll be the same for this baby.
  • KD32412 said:

We have been doing vegetables twice a day. Had our 6 month appt a couple of days ago and doctor said to give him solids 3 times a day, and as much as he wants. She said babies will let you know when they are full. So far my LO will only take 1-2 tablespoons at a time, but really enjoys eating!

I used this website while preparing meals for my firstborn, it has great recipes and answers pretty much all your feeding questions. Good luck!

What is the website, I'd love to take a look!

• KD32412 said:

We have been doing vegetables twice a day. Had our 6 month appt a couple of days ago and doctor said to give him solids 3 times a day, and as much as he wants. She said babies will let you know when they are full. So far my LO will only take 1-2 tablespoons at a time, but really enjoys eating!

What is the website, I'd love to take a look!

Omg. I forgot to post it! Hahahaha!!!

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com
  • I don't use a baby bullet. I just use our food processor or immersion blender. But I've made pears, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, pluots (similar to a plum),prunes, acorn squash, butternut squash, beets and apples.
  • If you have the time And patience try to make your own baby food and in a seperate Baby Bullet or Beaba Babycook. You never know what you mix into your food procesor like nuts or milk that can mix into the baby foos and cause allergies. My baby is 6 months and eats about 1 onz for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes he is not in the mood, sometimes he's "over the mood".
  • torie2132 said:
    We've been doing twice a day every day - just a few tablespoons. Also since 4 months. He's almost 6 now, and we've started to add combos. Like bananas and blueberries or sweet potato and apple. When we add something new we just watch for anything weird. Worst reaction so far was gas to spinach. We basically stuck with the Gerber starter veggies and fruits. And the combos are new since the packaging says 6mo+. We always give him a bottle after the food also...since a few tbsp clearly isn't enough. Our baby is a big boy 20 pounds already. So the formula was not nearly enough for him.
    Your baby should still be getting most of their nutritional needs met by either breastmilk or formula at this point. For this reason most peds recommend a bottle before eating solids, not after. Is there a reason you're giving it to him after?
  • If you have the time And patience try to make your own baby food and in a seperate Baby Bullet or Beaba Babycook. You never know what you mix into your food procesor like nuts or milk that can mix into the baby foos and cause allergies. My baby is 6 months and eats about 1 onz for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sometimes he is not in the mood, sometimes he's "over the mood".

There's really no need to be that overcautious unless you know LO is allergic to something.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • At this age, food is for fun and learning, not their actual daily requirement. Most of their nutrition should still come from breastmilk or formula.