May 2016 Moms

First doc visit... Super nervous!!

im going for my first prenatal appointment on Thursday and I am over the moon but also shaking in my shoes... I'll be 7 weeks... What can I expect?? ~X(

Re: First doc visit... Super nervous!!

• Do you know if your office does a dating u/s?  Some do and some don't, so if they don't it's nothing to be concerned about.  They will just give you information about do's and don'ts, answer any questions you have, etc. (in addition to the standard urine, weight, blood pressure checks that they will do every appointment).  If it's been a while since your last pap, they may also do one of those too.  Depending on your office, they may also do bloodwork (std check, etc).

In addition to the above, if they do do a dating u/s, be prepared for it to be a transvaginal one (dildo cam).  At 7 weeks, your uterus isn't above your pelvic bone which makes an abdominal u/s difficult.  They will measure the length of the fetus to determine how far along you are and if it aligns with your LMP EDD.  The u/s usually only takes about 5 min or so.

I suggest you make a list of questions ahead of time.  It's easy to forget to ask them when you are in the middle of an appointment.  And don't be afraid to ask anything, no matter how stupid it might seem to you.