March 2016 Moms
Options

Hair dye

At what point, if at all is it safe to use?

Re: Hair dye

• Options
    There is very limited research on this so there isn't a solid yes or no answer to this. But the general consensus now seems to be that it is okay. The amount of chemicals that would absorb into your skin would be minimal so the risk is pretty small.
  • Options
    I have done a lot of research on this. I am a platinum blonde and have roots for days. Most things say there is no research but to be safe wait until after 12 weeks. I am 14 weeks today and plan on getting my roots done in 2 weeks. And then holding off until until the end of February so I only have to dye it twice this pregnancy. Also, so I look half decent for a while after the baby when people visit lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said its fine but I still wanted to wait until I was out of the first trimester to be safe.  I am going to call today and make an appointment to get highlights in two weeks. My roots are out of control! After that I will do it every 6-8 weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor also said it was fine. I just got mine done yesterday at 14 weeks. Just be aware with all of the extra hormones in your body your color may look a little different. My lady has been doing the same base color on mine forever but yesterday it pulled way lighter than how it normally does. It still looks good, it's just different. Your body reacts to the chemicals differently whole pregnant.
  • Options
    Gor a book from cleveland clinic and it says hair dye is okay and so did my OB
  • Options
    It's addressed by TB in the first trimester boards. At the top there is a pinned thread "14 myths about pregnancy" and they explain what's ok about hair dye.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Definitely ok but like everyone said, moderation and waiting as long as possible certainly can't hurt. I do Japanese straightening and last time did it once around 6 months. Will do the same this time I think i'm due for it around 8 months. Going to hold off on dye for another couple of weeks so around 15 or 16 weeks. 
  • Options
    My ob recommend once per trimester.
  • Options
    I am still not sure so I didn't do it, I am at 15w today and I guess I will wait a little bit more..
  • Options
    My doctor said it was ok after 1st trimester. I'm however waiting towards end. It could be just me but if they say not to do it during first trimester then I worry it may jot be safe in the others either. Eventhough most of major development is in first trimester. I'll let my grays show.
  • Options
    Got mine done at 14 weeks. Asked for chocolate brown and caramel highlights. I got black and grey. My SIL in nursing, she got hers done yesterday. Was supposed to be dirty blonde but it's closer to a bronzey brown. Just be really careful. We have to leave ours like this for now so it can recover.
  • Options
    I asked my OB when I was pregnant with DS and she said it was fine throughout pregnancy. I got mine dyed at 10w with my son and around 9w this time, because that's when my regular appointments fell, and will keep up with my regular schedule all the way through. As long as you're in a professional place with good ventilation, it's fine. DS is completely normal ;) 
    Mr. & Mrs. B, Est. 10.23.2009
    m/c: 9/06/12
    LTB: 10/23/13
    Baby B 2.0 EDD: 3/15/16

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am so glad someone asked about this! I have been going back and forth about wanting to dye, but this makes me feel better. I am 15w5d but I think I will wait a little longer.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I am looking forward to having mine done next month, will be about 20 weeks
  • Options
    My OB also said it was a myth but if I was worried that I could wait until after the 1st trimester, but said it really wasn't necessary.
  • Options
    I've had my hair colored with both pregnancies early on in the first trimester
  • Options
    cnunes214cnunes214 member
    edited October 2015
    Another bottle blonde here! I got my roots done in the middle of the first trimester. I've had my hairdresser forever and I asked her about it, granted she is no OB, but she said it's fine. She bleaches her hair constantly, even during her three pregnancies and her 3 girls are fine!