May 2016 Moms
Options

1st hormonal freak-out...over salmon.

missnc77missnc77 member
edited September 2015 in May 2016 Moms
I had my first yelling at my husband, slamming doors, throwing books, crying, hormonal melt down. All over a piece of salmon.

I read that pregnant women should not eat farm raised salmon, so I went to Whole Foods, didn't pay attention because I didn't think they sold anything except wild, bought some salmon, grilled it, ate it, and then go to clean up and see the sticker said farm raised. I then proceeded to google why it's bad for pregnant women, and my husband walked in the door from work. I'm sitting there, empty plate, tears falling, yelling because I'm trying to email Whole Foods (why, I don't know). I told him I probably screwed up our child over 4 ounces of salmon. 

7.5 more months of this, huh?

Re: 1st hormonal freak-out...over salmon.

• Options
    Lol it'll be just fine!!

JUST DONT EAT IT AGAIN.

Married to my dream husband
    Mom to 2 year old BG twins (Incompetant cervix, cerclage, and LOTS of bed rest)
    Pregnant with our next!
  • Options
    The word salmon in your title made me gag. I guess baby doesn't like fish.

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options

I don't think there's anything wrong with farm-raised salmon...?

image        image

• Options
    lest12 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with farm-raised salmon...?

I don't want to freak anyone out because there are already so many things to be paranoid over, but farm raised salmon contains higher levels of chemicals (PCB is the main one) and pesticides. Farm raised fish are considered by some to be one of the most toxic food sources. A couple of years ago Norway found all their fish farms were contaminated and said pregnant women and children should avoid. The issue happened in several other countries. The good news is, in the last couple of years places like Whole Foods and Trader Joes has really put pressure of their fish farmers and producers to reduce all the bad, but whenever possible, you should buy wild caught fish.

Here's a non ~sensational~ write up about it if you're interested: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/getting-your-omega-3s-vs-avoiding-those-pcbsthe-family-healthguide
  • Options
    I'm sure you're fine! I think it would be more or a problem if you ate it on a somewhat regular basis. I don't like fish but this is good to know in case I ever get the craving!
  • Options
    Well, thanks for the info.  I ate farm raised salmon last night too.  Blah.
  • Options
    Don't eat the fish! Or, eat the fish as it's healthy. I don't know. Here's another gif! 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options

LOL. I love that you tried to e-mail Whole Foods but aren't sure why.

Good to know about the farm raised salmon!

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • Options
    I know! Even my husband kept asking, "What are you writing?" "I DON'T KNOW!!! I DON'T KNOW!!!"
  • Options
    I feel bad for all of our husbands/boyfriends because this hormonal crap can get way out of hand sometimes. I can be mad but have no reason to be mad. Lol. Poor guys.
  • Options
    Most of the stuff that is "bad" for you during pregnancy is fine in moderation.  
  • Options

Haha! Oh yes the hormones I haven't really had a melt down yet I just have been whiney..but last pregnancy I freaked out because  I was craving doughnuts and my husband would never go buy them for me. I wrote him a letter and in it I quote " You never buy me any doughnuts" lol! My husband still has the letter. Ridiculous!!!