Baby Names

Crazy Rules for Naming Your Baby

2»

Re: Crazy Rules for Naming Your Baby

• My rules are:
    • each sibling has their own first initial (having unique middle initials is ideal but not mandatory)
    • must lend itself to a nickname (even if we don't outright pick a nickname for them)
    • must fit well with other siblings (we'll be sticking with biblical names, since boyfriend has a son with a biblical name already)
    • no alliterative names, whether in first-last, first-middle, or middle-last combos 
    • can't be in top 100 (even better if it isn't in the top 1000)
    • no "unique" spellings (can be a spelling variation if there are valid variants cross culturally/overtime)
    • family/honor names cannot be used as first names (middle or second middles only)
    • can't rhyme with last name (sorry -ell[e] names!)
    I feel like I have more rules, but that's all I can think of at the moment. 
  • I don’t have any rules - they don’t necessarily have to sound matchup. DH’s parents named all their kids with names ending in an/en (Brian, Kristen, Evan)... it just sounds kind of boring to me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Well. Husband and I are both of French and English heritage and he is insistent on bilingual names. So our rules for our unborn are:

Must be easy to say in both languages
    Must like the way it sounds in both languages
    Must be a limited number of reasonable mispronunciations/misspellings 
    Must not be very gender neutral (I get misgendered over email all the time) and therefore I think Emile is off the table for a boy as it could be mispronounced as Emily or misgendered as female
    Must not make funny initials
    Must not be rhymey or alliterative
    Must be longer than 3 characters in order to support a 14 character last name
    Must not be very long (again, 14 character last name)
    Must not be in the top 20
    Must not be too trendy, like a silly made up name 
    Must not be wildly misspelled
    Probably not popular in the 80s (no more Jennifers, please)
    Must not have a strong association with someone I already know
    Must not be a name that we associate with a certain type of person (ie. Jessicas are basic or Xaviers are weird lol)
    So many guidelines. Man. No wonder I have zero boy name ideas.

• Also, must have good nickname options.
  • @sammeebou I have that "Jessicas are basic"  feeling too :D Funny how that works.