May 2016 Moms
Options

What's on the menu this week?

I need some inspiration! The only thing I can think to have for dinner is pizza but I definitely can't eat pizza every day. (I would be fine with it but my family and the scale would not.)

Any good crockpot recipes? I need more low maintenance dinners.

Re: What's on the menu this week?

• Options
    Salsa chicken:

3 chicken breasts
    1 jar salsa
    1 drained can black beans
    frozen corn or 1 drained can corn

crock pot all day on low.
    shred with 2 forks.
    serve over rice with shredded cheese.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    7 Can Soup
    Spaghetti and Meatballs
    Sausage & Sweet Potato Skillet
    Picnic with friends!
    Dinner out with my Parents

and that's all I've got for now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm super lazy today so honestly I'm probably just making spaghetti although that probably doesn't help you at all.
  • Options
    This is one of my favorite crock pot recipes!

Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli:

1.5 lbs beef strips/flank steak (or even chicken, if you prefer)
    4 cups of broccoli
    1 T garlic
    1/4 t red chili flakes
    1 cup canned beef broth
    2/3 cup soy sauce (low sodium works too!)
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1 T sesame oil
    2 T corn starch

Put in everything but the cornstarch and the broccoli and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. About 20ish minutes before serving, stir in the cornstarch. You can also put the broccoli in now OR cook the broccoli however you like it and add it at the end. Super tasty!

• Options
    Monday: pork chops with asparagus

Tuesday: chopped chicken breast mixed in with whole wheat pasta, kalamata olives, basil and ricotta cheese

Wednesday: Turkey kielbasa with quinoa and anise

Thursday: ground turkey baked with fire-roasted diced tomatoes, onions, green and red peppers, zucchini and squash.

Friday: I best be taken out for dinner
  • Options
    BleuJBleuJ member
    edited September 2015
    All of this is on my menu lol :)) I try to stick to foods low in fat (and smell). But high in fibers (to help me poop). Don't forget great in taste. Except I hated the egg plant [-(
  • Options
    Pizza. And pasta. Again, this kid is gonna be addicted to tomato sauce.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    @saladflambe that sounds delicious! I wonder if I could substitute the salsa for something without tomato? DD has a horrible tomato sensitivity.

@Jparke2 that sounds amazing!! I think I'll make that tomorrow.

@kmalls how do you cook your pork chops? I have yet to perfect a tender, juicy pork chop so I generally just avoid them. It's DH's favorite food though.
  • Options
    nerdymama15nerdymama15 member
    edited September 2015
    Boneless pork loin or boneless pork roast maybe 2 to 3 pounds max
    Can of whole cranberry sauce
    8oz bottle of french salad dressing
    1 med to large onion thinly sliced
    1 packet of french onion soup mix.
    Cook on low for 8 hours and shred pork Serve with the sauce in the crock pot :)

Edit that is not what I had for supper.  OP asked for crock pot recipe

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    @JessicaB0627 If you have access to a Trader Joe's, they have a great jarred salsa verde, and I do salsa chicken in the crockpot with just 1 package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and 1 jar of salsa verde, cook on low for 6ish hours, and shred. We usually use it in tacos one night (lettuce wrap tacos if I'm trying to be nutritious), put it in rice bowls with a bunch of roasted veggies the next night, and if there's any left it's really good on top of baked sweet potato slices for breakfast.

For our week I have planned (tentatively, and prone to change depending on how much I want to barf on any given day):

Tonight- zucchini gratin with shredded chicken- ok, I was reallllly iffy on this one when it came time to eat it because it kind of looked like green soup, but it was amazing!! It's just like shredded zucchini, a little wild rice, onions, and some parmesan and it tasted like warm savory oatmeal. Comfort food.

Tomorrow night- I'll be out at a staff meeting. Probably leftover zucchini gratin with a fried egg.

Wednesday- back to school picnic, will probably just have to grab food from the hot bar at the store near my school. Which is annoying because it's expensive, but great for being pregnant because you can look at/ smell the food before you decide what you're gonna eat :)

Thursday- soba noodles with peanut sauce, tofu, cucumbers and red peppers. My son calls them peanut butter noodles, which sounds gross but whatever makes him want to eat it works for me.

Friday- corn chowder and shrimp rolls.

Also, if anyone is looking for a good resource for simple/ fast dinner recipes that aren't too boring, I highly recommend the cookbook Dinner: The Playbook- it's so good! I buy it for all my friends when they have kids because it's just a good, easy to use family cookbook. 

• Options
    mhc13mhc13 member
    edited September 2015
    Mon & Tue- chili
    Weds & Thurs- chicken & wild rice soup
    Fri- fish tacos

I'm making large batches of comfort food and giving myself a break from cooking every night.
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• Options
    Crockpot Fajitas

Chicken, raw and sliced
    Multi colored peppers, julienned
    Onion, sliced
    Fajita seasoning (or cumin, chili powder, and garlic salt)
    2 tsp minced garlic
    14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
    1 tsp honey
    1/4c lime juice
    Tortillas
    Fixings (cilantro, sour cream, salsa,guac, etc)

Put half of the tomatoes in the bottom of the pot. Lay down peppers and onions, chicken, then sprinkle with seasoning. Put about 1/4 c water in the pot and turn it on high for 4-6 hours low for 8-10 hours. Strain liquid from the pot into a saucepan and add honey and lime. Warm through and pour over chicken and veggies. Enjoy!
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    Today: Giant pot of turkey chili! (you can shove so many healthy ingredients in there that your body needs and it makes great left overs!)

Wednesday: caesar salad and salmon (or chicken whatever Im in the mood for)

Thursday: potstickers and broccoli (the frozen potstickers from costco!)

Friday: tacos

Saturday: costco pizza! ;) and a salad! 
  • Options
    I usually plan things out day by day so I only have today's menu set. 

Today: 
    Lunch: Salmon, shredded beets and carrots
    After work snack: Green smoothie with banana, apple, kale and spinach
    Dinner: Pork tenderloin with chili-lime sauce, cauliflower rice and broccoli
    Dessert: Watermelon

I have some good crockpot recipes I'll have to dig out this week as well. It's getting to be 'stew weather'. 

• Options
    Tonight we splurged with some over filling Taco Bell. But tomorrow we are enjoying cheddar applewood smoked bacon covered chicken breast with baked potato.
    I am the queen of crockpot cookbooks so I'm going to need to pull them all out and get cooking! !!