May 2016 Moms

Is anyone a nanny or have a nanny? come in...

We currently have a live-in nanny for our 20 month old daughter. It sounds fancier than it really is (she's VERY 18...taking a break from school before she starts college, family friend). She's very good girl and I trust her to love and care for my daughter. Although, I'm a little frustrated with the way she is spending her day (LOTS of TV on the couch....). I'm looking for tips or "daily toddler schedules" that have worked for you. She is great about doing what I ask of her but I'd love a little guidance on what a typical nanny does without asking too much/too little of her.

This is what I'd like their day to look like 

7am - Toddler wakes up has breakfast with mom and dad at the table before we leave for work.
7:30 - Nanny takes over and gets tot ready for the day - bath, clothes
8:30- 9:30 - Play at home - books, building, play with dolls, play in the backyard - practice kicking/throwing/catching 
9:30 - 11:30 Walk to the park, go on a nature walk, go down to the beach and look for birds/sea shells/rocks, Library for toddler time, or other outdoor activity that is toddler focused. 
11:30 - 12:30 Lunch at the table (no TV - music is fine) 
12:30 -2:30 ish - Nap time
2:30 - wake up, cuddle, snack at the table
3:00 - craft time (coloring, seasonal craft, stickers)
4:00-6:00 - free play (she still needs some encouragement on WHAT to do during free play, so get out her school bus letter toy, or legos, or something else. 

What do you guys think? I'm totally open to comments/suggestions. TIA! 
Me: 32 DH: 35
Married 12/7/07
DD: Born 1/2/14 
Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

Re: Is anyone a nanny or have a nanny? come in...

• How about reading books, singing songs, practicing counting, ABCs, flash/memory cards, etc?

I'm not a nanny nor do I have one, but these are all things that my daughter does on pretty much a daily basis in her daycare class. Just an idea, but your schedule looks pretty good to me! If you nanny wants to watch tv and such for a little bit of her time, she can do that during nap time!
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • I just told my nanny to limit TV to 30 minutes a day and she figured out the rest. I think having a schedule might be a little too much to expect. Day cares are great and they all have schedules, so maybe you'd be happier with that.

Have you offered to pay for a zoo or museum membership? Our nanny takes them to music classes and we have memberships to the zoo and the children's museum.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Loading the player...
  • @theBorg7of9 thanks! My nanny did say that she's having a hard time because of the lack of schedule. She's not very good at coming up with things to do on her own - which is why i'm trying to point her in the right direction here. I asked her 2 weeks ago to do some research and find some crafts/activities she'd like to do with K and I would buy whatever they needed, but after asking her about it she still hasn't found anything. What 18 year old doesn't know how to search on google?! She doesn't drive...doesn't ride a bike....is very sheltered when it comes to being on her own. We do live in a very walk-able neighborhood. Tons of parks, free aquarium, beach literally in  our backyard, library with free toddler time once a week. 

We are planning on getting her in daycare but we're on a VERY long wait list. The nanny is helping us out while we wait. I think I might sign K up for toddler music once a week so they have that to attend as well. It's just hard because she's not a career nanny, more of a babysitter, so I need to lower my expectations while making sure K isn't just watching TV all day, you know? 
    Married 12/7/07
    Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

• PP suggestion of zoos and children's museum is great. We have a PT nanny (20 hours a week), and our current nanny is incredible. Our first situation really informed me what I was and wasn't looking for and our new nanny really makes an effort to engage him.

I think a loose schedule is good - we don't eat meals at the exact same time every day, but vaguely planning out the day really helps me, the nanny and DS to know what's happening during the day.

DS loves to be active and wouldn't be happy being inside all day, so they go to the park at least once a day (I've already joined an indoor play area for winter). She also takes him to toy stores to play and participate in story time. I would suggest looking up activities in your area and then maybe give her a few options for the week and say you'd really like them to go do xyz that day/week.

I also made it clear that TV is a special treat and is not to be on during the day unless DS is sick etc. Hope that helps!
  • @theBorg7of9 thanks! My nanny did say that she's having a hard time because of the lack of schedule. She's not very good at coming up with things to do on her own - which is why i'm trying to point her in the right direction here. I asked her 2 weeks ago to do some research and find some crafts/activities she'd like to do with K and I would buy whatever they needed, but after asking her about it she still hasn't found anything. What 18 year old doesn't know how to search on google?! She doesn't drive...doesn't ride a bike....is very sheltered when it comes to being on her own. We do live in a very walk-able neighborhood. Tons of parks, free aquarium, beach literally in  our backyard, library with free toddler time once a week. 

We are planning on getting her in daycare but we're on a VERY long wait list. The nanny is helping us out while we wait. I think I might sign K up for toddler music once a week so they have that to attend as well. It's just hard because she's not a career nanny, more of a babysitter, so I need to lower my expectations while making sure K isn't just watching TV all day, you know? 
    Yes, it probably makes a difference that our nanny is older and has nannied and worked at a  daycare before.  Here in Chicago, all the museums have free days occasionally also.  With only one kid to care for, I would say ask that you do something outside or do an activity every day.  What about Little Gym or Gymboree?  My nanny currently cares for four kids (sharing with neighbor) and she still manages to take the kids somewhere once or twice a week at least.  To be fair though, the oldest is in preschool four hours a day.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• I'm a pretty seasoned former nanny. And now a mother. This loose schedule works really well for me:

Morning: travel out to play date/Gymboree/park/library/whatever. Getting out of the house every morning, even if it's just somewhere else in the neighborhood, really helps break up the monotony for both caregiver and child(ren). As a mom, I pick all the free things I can! And my daughter has a blast. 

Noonish: travel home, lunch together, then nap

Afternoon: free choice play. For us this looks like running out back, digging in sand, singing, dancing, nursery rhymes, jumping, chasing, peekaboo, reading together (super important), some independent play while I tidy and do chores. Whatever my toddler wants to do during this time, we do. Small children flourish in unstructured play where they simply explore their environment.

I think your schedule is pretty close to a good fit for a toddler, you have several great suggestions for your nanny!
  • Sounds silly but make a Pinterest board of crafty things, activities, etc to do. I send things to my mom (she lives with us and takes care of DD while we are working) I find on there to give her ideas or just tell her which board to look at to find them.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• @doozer1354 that's such a great idea! 
    Married 12/7/07
    Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

• I was a nanny for a year for a boy a week older than mine. With two infants, I had to be both scheduled and flexible. I think what you wrote is a great starting point. Maybe look up free or low-cost toddler play groups or classes. There are lots of websites like Macaroni Kid (at least in my area) that list when libraries and community centers have story time or music time. I also used FB local mommy groups to find fun things to do.

Be direct with her and tell her TV is only 30min when your little is awake or she can watch whatever when the kiddo is asleep. Honestly, I got my boys on the same nap schedule and would watch Grey's Anatomy while folding laundry or doing dishes, but the boys didn't watch anything, just the kid's music channel. But it was tough on rainy or snowy days so having something fun planned like a structured activity really helped. I would give the mom my proposed schedule for the week so she would know where we were each day and give her text/photo updates.

PS- writing this really makes me miss being a nanny :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker